• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

I need help giving up smoking.

I am trying to quit I know it is bad for you but I am trying very hard If any smokers on hear have any tips please help I am trying I do enjoy a smoke but I need to quit

Active
I quit for 4 years on Nicoderm CQ. It removed the antsy, anticipated "I want a cigarette" sense. I DID however gain 67 pounds (that's why I started up again). EVERYTHING smells and tastes MUCH MUCH better. If you can control what you eat or have a high metabolism you should try the Nicoderm CQ. I didn't even have to do the last step. I was done before that stage.

Hi Lord knows may I ask are u smoking again I have tried the champix and nicoderm and I just went without sleep it went well at first but I went off food and then lost loads of sleep and became very sleepy in the day are you back smoking now I quit for a week and I was gasping for one I tried again this morning but I gave in about half an hour ago

Mind you Lord knows in the uk are products may be different to USA I know I have. A e cig and we have been told over here they are harmful so I may be going to give your idea another go I will definitely try my best again lol thanks for help may I ask have you tried the champix it made me very ill

Staff Member
Greetings @Disneyfan30 @LordKnows

Do you believe in the mighty power of the Lord Jesus?
Do you believe that He is able?

Then take Him at His word...ask and trust Him to deliver you from the bondage of smoking.
Ask Him to take the craving away.
Ask Him to heal you of the addiction

He loves you. He knows your heart. He will deliver you.

Rather than believing in tobacco substitutes, believe in what Jesus's can do for you.

HE IS ABLE

Blessings

Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour,be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Jude 1:24-25

I am trying to quit I know it is bad for you but I am trying very hard If any smokers on hear have any tips please help I am trying I do enjoy a smoke but I need to quit

I am praying for you. Perhaps try reading the bible whenever you get a craving? Or find someone else trying to quit for close-to-home support?

Stay strong and pray long; everyone has their own stumbling blocks. Let us know if we can help in any other way.

This is how I see it:

Matthew 22:34-40
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

No one can say smoking is ok, because it is a form of escape and it's bad for your body.

That being said...

I used to be a smoker and I loved smoking! I loved it because it felt like my friend, it gave me an excuse to step away from a situation when I was uncomfortable, it was my escape. I didn't have to be alone because I had my cigarettes. Over time, I realized that I was using it as a crutch, so I cut back. Jesus wants to become my best friend!

When I came back to Jesus, I was still smoking on occasion when I was around old friends that were bad for me (not because they smoked, but because they weren't Christians and didn't put the great commandments first). This would make me feel unloved so I would reach for the ciggies. Once again I was escaping. The more I become friends with Jesus, the more I stop letting the world influence me, the more I want to give up those things that make me feel bad/aren't good for me.

Disneyfan 30, Trust in the Lord that he will help you, and don't be hard on yourself you'll get there!
Don't beat yourself up when you have a smoke, lessen, gradually, realize the stressors around you causing you to smoke. When you have a cigarette acknowledge it for what it is, a way to escape, a way to feel loved...or whatever reason. Just don't beat yourself up, stress always made me reach for more

Ecclesiaster 11:7-10
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

As my relationship with Jesus grows, I love him so much and he loves me so much! I know he doesn't want me to do things that are bad for me: eating bad foods, overeating, watching bad shows, drinking (for me anyway), drugs, isolating myself...the list goes on. He wants to to teach me to feel wholesome so I can carry out GOD's will! I am so grateful for this. We humans are great escape artist, we want to run and escape, but let me tell you what, the devil loves to use this to get between you and your relationship with God and the word of GOD!.

I still fail, but in the words of my favorite Christian singer Josh Garrels "Even when I fall, I get back up for the joy that overflows my cup". I get to grow in my walk with Christ and that's what it's all about, it's so wonderful!

You know what else?

He doesn't want me to be hard on myself either, or beat myself up. I come to him because he loves me. Guys, we can't judge others, Jesus loves us! God loves you! We will all be released of different sins at different times through prayer and supplication!

Matthew 7:1-29
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. ...

I went to a certain church for a brief period. It made me so sad, because the pastor was a good man, but he struggled with judging those around him, and he struggled with having people attend his church. I remember seeing a man out in the parking lot smoking one day, I could tell it was a lot for him to be there. The pastor came out and said "You know smoking is bad for you and will kill you". He sneered at the man. It broke my heart to see, that man never came back. There was no love there. :(

So sure, smoking may be a sin. It was for me because it was coming in between me and my relationship with the Lord, God has asked me to be present here on Earth. Jesus came to the earth and died for our sins, and God wants me to be here to and face the music.....but we are all sinner's and fall short...so let's not judge.

Thank you if can all prey for me I have taken Lord knows advice thank you so much sister I am on my way if you could all keep me in your prayers tonight today I would be so grateful x blessings David x

Sorry I don't mean to single u out Lord knows but your advice has been the best and I am quite desperate with this have u actually managed to quit smoking I would to know how. Someone else who is trying to quit goes

Active
Sorry I don't mean to single u out Lord knows but your advice has been the best and I am quite desperate with this have u actually managed to quit smoking I would to know how. Someone else who is trying to quit goes

That's alright. I started back smoking after 4 years due to massive weight gain. I told my doctor is rather die from lung cancer than obesity & have to be buried in a piano case. I've lost 58 pounds already. I guess its pick your poison. Ill quit again, but I have to figure out how not to eat the entire refrigerator.

I am sure we can support each other through preying let me know how you get on I will do the same I am sure we

It is good that you lost all the weight though the only thing i say is don't try champix it made me so ill

Can I ask aswell nicoderm does that makeme put on a lot of weight

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry Lord knows i am sure you will quit in no time in the mean time you need any help I am always here to chat to may you be blessed sorry I will let you get on now I think I find it a bit hard because of my aspergers I have an addictive personality
Be blessed
David

I had my first cigarette at age 8 and my last at age 62; it was the last and the hardest of the addictions that the Lord delivered me from.
A few suggestion that may help.
Set a target date to quit somewhere between 2 weeks and a month ahead, and start eliminating cigs during the day. This detoxing will help the withdrawals be less, and help reduce the need for nicotine patches and lozenges. After all the idea is to remove it from our lives, not use an alternative method of ingestion.
Become aware when the smoking habit, when you are most likely to smoke (ie.. on the phone.. with coffee.. etc) and plan an alternative for those times. hard candies and life savers help.
make a list of the reasons you need and want to quit and keep it with you; read it when the urge hits. You can also add what you will do with the money saved from not buying cigs...( a pack a day habit could make a car payment... 2 packs a day could pay a mortgage..)
And at all times remember that God is in charge. start each day in the askance of His Mercy and Grace... and end it with the gratitude for receiving it. We have a daily reprieve, we receive Grace sufficient for the day; we do not live today on yesterdays askance.
I will be praying for your success

Staff Member
Good spiritual advice and good practical advice thank you for sharing @milordsheep

Worth reading @Br. Bear

I had my first cigarette at age 8 and my last at age 62; it was the last and the hardest of the addictions that the Lord delivered me from.
A few suggestion that may help.
Set a target date to quit somewhere between 2 weeks and a month ahead, and start eliminating cigs during the day. This detoxing will help the withdrawals be less, and help reduce the need for nicotine patches and lozenges. After all the idea is to remove it from our lives, not use an alternative method of ingestion.
Become aware when the smoking habit, when you are most likely to smoke (ie.. on the phone.. with coffee.. etc) and plan an alternative for those times. hard candies and life savers help.
make a list of the reasons you need and want to quit and keep it with you; read it when the urge hits. You can also add what you will do with the money saved from not buying cigs...( a pack a day habit could make a car payment... 2 packs a day could pay a mortgage..)
And at all times remember that God is in charge. start each day in the askance of His Mercy and Grace... and end it with the gratitude for receiving it. We have a daily reprieve, we receive Grace sufficient for the day; we do not live today on yesterdays askance.
I will be praying for your success