• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

How to use Authority

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
I may seem to be boasting too much about the authority given to us by the Lord. But our authority builds you up; it doesn't tear you down. So I will not be ashamed of using my authority. 2 Corinthians 10:8 NLT

How can you use your authority well, avoiding the trap of abusing it for self-aggrandizement while also avoiding the error of neglecting the influence you have?

The fine line that Paul set out is a vision for authority that builds up others. This is the kind of authority to be talked about, to be regarded highly, and to be used frequently in Christian community. This kind of authority may result in someone being held in high esteem by a group, but such esteem is hardly its primary aim.

What kind of influence do you have right now? Are there ways you can more actively support others, build them up with encouragement, or prepare them for the work God has set before them? Christian authority gives away influence, spreads out the authority of God, and empowers others to grow to their full potential in Christ.

Whether or not you see yourself as a leader, you have authority and influence to share for the benefit of God’s people.

Prayer: Jesus, help me share my influence and authority well for the building up of others, and may I remember my place as Your child, never thinking too much of myself.

Staff Member
Greetings,

an interesting line of thought that perhaps could be expanded a bit more?

Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

2Corinthians 1:24

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.

2Timothy 1:12

Bless you ....><>

Active
I would be very, very careful of using 'authority' at all, and ever weary of doing so.

Yes, I have realized that more power can lead to corruption--a wise man is wise, but being too wise can also corrupt the simplicity of life.

Staff Member
Dear Brothers,
It seems that I might not be the one who should speak on "Authority". I received a PM, that professed to be from God, accusing me of inappropriately discussing the subject. Even though the person who sent it to me had not read this thread.
I'll wait for the Spirit to move me as it pertains to this devotional, but as it stands now, I'll keep my peace.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
I really enjoy your devotionals. I just had to add that statement here in this thread, as I have seen a number of people expound upon the concept of authority in a biblical sense as 'having authority over spirits,' but I learned also what that means. It's for that very reason that Jesus said to the Apostles that they should not rejoice for having authority over spirits, but that their names are written in Heaven. I have noticed substantial corruption coming from the very subject--the kind that leads to truly wicked evils.

Regards,
Thanks for your devotionals and bless you.

Loyal
Dear Brothers,
It seems that I might not be the one who should speak on "Authority". I received a PM, that professed to be from God, accusing me of inappropriately discussing the subject. Even though the person who sent it to me had not read this thread.
I'll wait for the Spirit to move me as it pertains to this devotional, but as it stands now, I'll keep my peace.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
Here's how Jesus talks about authority:

'All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

That's Matthew 11. Jesus claims that all things have been handed to him -- he has ultimate authority. And then straight away he talks about how he uses that awesome power and ability to control: easing people's burdens and giving rest.

We are used to people accumulating power in order to control and have power over others. The Christian way to use power is in service of others.

I think this is a vital subject to do deep reflection and Christian meditation on. Can think of few things more important.

Active
Indeed; for the tongue can both kill and make alive.

For the reason of gross ignorance the concept of authority over spirits actually infers (over men)--however, world view of authority is as power or rule, and so i suggest keeping clear of this segment to maintain peace of mind and of spirit.