• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

With a topic as broad and touchy as sharing the Gospel, it’s no wonder why so many Christ followers recoil when it’s “their turn” to share the Good News to others. One common view of this, which I don’t recommend, is to look at people as sales pitches. Yes, you’ve read that right. If you haven’t heard it before – which is unlikely – then now you know why so many churches appear business-like: They are ran by business values.

Although I believe we can use our business skills to glorify the living God, viewing our friends and family as potential sales pitches is immoral, unloving, and brings zero glory to our heavenly Father. Even if this approach works, it still counts as taking a major a shortcut. We don’t want to be “businessmen in Pentecostal suits.” Our circles of influence aren’t potential customers, they’re souls waiting to be loved and stewarded. Reducing them to sales leads takes away their humanity and erodes the calling God had placed on us: to live in a way that wins people and brings them into relationship with Him.

So, what does that mean for the well-intentioned Christian who’s eager to share the Word? It means that it will take time and ongoing investment. People are not simply extensions of our wills; they are their own individuals, with their own desires, agendas, and reservations. It takes a lot of time and patience to establish trust. Diving into this new venture thinking that it only takes one or two coffee dates to win a soul is terribly misleading for both parties. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a nonbelieving friend. Would you want to be viewed as a ‘project’ to conquer, or a sales lead to convert? Chances are, that would be insulting to you. The same goes for everyone else.

No one wants to be anyone’s project. Everyone appreciates true, genuine friendships. That is what you’re called to do as a disciple of God – establish loving, genuine friendships with the world and be the bridge in which they can meet God. This is why we shouldn’t push people towards the cliff before we’ve established a bridge with them; they will feel betrayed and close themselves off from us. People won’t understand why we’re pushing them towards such a huge commitment when they’re simply not ready for it. I have a close friend who led a nonbeliever into a sinner’s prayer on the first meeting. Needless to say, they never hung out again. By being consistent, steady, and genuine, people will ultimately come to know that your bridge is safe and sturdy enough to cross. They will do this on their own because the Holy Spirit is constantly at work in them.

“But how do I even begin telling people about Christ?” you might ask. At first, mentioning the big JC might be a little awkward for some and a deal breaker for others. Unless you know that your friend is a person of peace (or a person who is open to hearing about God), refrain from overwhelming them with your religious speech. Even if it is done out of pure motives, not respecting the boundaries of others is a sure-fire way to guarantee rebellion. Be sensitive to your level of closeness to the person and share the Gospel accordingly. If there is no bridge built, the only thing your friend will see when you speak of the Almighty God is a silhouette of a faraway, idealistic fantasy. That’s because they don’t know Him close up yet because you haven’t done your job of building the bridge. If you’ve already established a firm friendship with others and the time is ripe for you to tell them about Christ, start with an invitation. For example, you can say, “Hey, are you free this weekend? Would you like to check out my church? I’d love to introduce you to my friends!” Please keep in mind that this attempt will be a lot more successful after you’ve proven that you’re a trustworthy friend.

Often, being Christ to our friends doesn’t even involve us mentioning His name in every opportunity we get. ‘Preying’ for someone who’s at his or her weak point to interject the Gospel can be a very insensitive and unloving move. Just be a true friend and approach him or her without ulterior motives. Your friends will grow to know God as they grow to trust you. Offer prayer, but don’t force it. Always pray for those friends on your own, as we know that our faith can move God to soften hearts.

To share the Gospel successfully, you’ve got to invest time and share your life with people. There are no easy shortcuts to sharing the Gospel. That’s why it’s imperative that you actually have a relationship with God yourself, so you can confidently make your faith public. The light that you have should not be hidden or only expressed when you see that it’s the ‘perfect opportunity’ to inject the Gospel into someone’s wounds. By making it known, on your own platforms, that you are a follower of Christ, your friends and family will already know who you stand for. All you’ve got to do now is build solid bridges.

Written by GirlandTheWord

Loyal
So, what does that mean for the well-intentioned Christian who’s eager to share the Word?
I find that witnessing to Christ and the gospel is not really a complicated matter.
1. There are acquaintances at workplaces and the like, where a committed Christian with an intact testimony can be an ambassador to Jesus and shine out
from the crowd. Others will watch you and react to your faith and testimony. In time you can have a major influence and encourage others to seek salvation
in the gospel for themselves.
People you know like neighbours, workmates, family, school friends are often the most work and it takes time for them to observe the consistency and value of
your faith and how it makes a real difference in your life. Especially in respect to healings, miracles and answered prayers.

2. Sometimes the easiest conversions are when one meet a stranger. I simply share my testimony of conversion [Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:15-20] by
believing the gospel and receiving the Holy Spirit. You just never know if you are speaking to somebody who has already had the seed planted,
and I am just watering for God to give the increase.
Usually I have some small size leaflets on other people's testimonies and their miracles. But it is always best to have your KJV Bible on hand and
simply open up the pages to the right scriptures.

In the end it is our Father through Jesus by his Holy Spirit that is calling people to himself. We are merely pawns in this celestial game of chess between
God and the opposition. Thus it is also good to pray to serve our Lord and to be a good and faithful servant.

Active
sharing seems to depend on your personality. evangelist gifting promotes making it happen and i pray often for these labourers. i have not shared my faith expressly for 25 yrs but daily witness/shine-bright-light in every situation i can.

Loyal
"Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart." I Cor 3:1-3

Loyal
Generally speaking.....Wouldn't sharing what God has done in your own life be the best way for you to share the Gospel?
Revelation 12:11 (KJV)
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the Word in their testimony;

So...sharing your experience of what God did in your life to bring you into the fold using the Word....It doesn't take a lot of the ugly details, only what God says and did for you.

Loyal
With a topic as broad and touchy as sharing the Gospel, it’s no wonder why so many Christ followers recoil when it’s “their turn” to share the Good News to others. One common view of this, which I don’t recommend, is to look at people as sales pitches. Yes, you’ve read that right. If you haven’t heard it before – which is unlikely – then now you know why so many churches appear business-like: They are ran by business values.

Although I believe we can use our business skills to glorify the living God, viewing our friends and family as potential sales pitches is immoral, unloving, and brings zero glory to our heavenly Father. Even if this approach works, it still counts as taking a major a shortcut. We don’t want to be “businessmen in Pentecostal suits.” Our circles of influence aren’t potential customers, they’re souls waiting to be loved and stewarded. Reducing them to sales leads takes away their humanity and erodes the calling God had placed on us: to live in a way that wins people and brings them into relationship with Him.

So, what does that mean for the well-intentioned Christian who’s eager to share the Word? It means that it will take time and ongoing investment. People are not simply extensions of our wills; they are their own individuals, with their own desires, agendas, and reservations. It takes a lot of time and patience to establish trust. Diving into this new venture thinking that it only takes one or two coffee dates to win a soul is terribly misleading for both parties. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a nonbelieving friend. Would you want to be viewed as a ‘project’ to conquer, or a sales lead to convert? Chances are, that would be insulting to you. The same goes for everyone else.

No one wants to be anyone’s project. Everyone appreciates true, genuine friendships. That is what you’re called to do as a disciple of God – establish loving, genuine friendships with the world and be the bridge in which they can meet God. This is why we shouldn’t push people towards the cliff before we’ve established a bridge with them; they will feel betrayed and close themselves off from us. People won’t understand why we’re pushing them towards such a huge commitment when they’re simply not ready for it. I have a close friend who led a nonbeliever into a sinner’s prayer on the first meeting. Needless to say, they never hung out again. By being consistent, steady, and genuine, people will ultimately come to know that your bridge is safe and sturdy enough to cross. They will do this on their own because the Holy Spirit is constantly at work in them.

“But how do I even begin telling people about Christ?” you might ask. At first, mentioning the big JC might be a little awkward for some and a deal breaker for others. Unless you know that your friend is a person of peace (or a person who is open to hearing about God), refrain from overwhelming them with your religious speech. Even if it is done out of pure motives, not respecting the boundaries of others is a sure-fire way to guarantee rebellion. Be sensitive to your level of closeness to the person and share the Gospel accordingly. If there is no bridge built, the only thing your friend will see when you speak of the Almighty God is a silhouette of a faraway, idealistic fantasy. That’s because they don’t know Him close up yet because you haven’t done your job of building the bridge. If you’ve already established a firm friendship with others and the time is ripe for you to tell them about Christ, start with an invitation. For example, you can say, “Hey, are you free this weekend? Would you like to check out my church? I’d love to introduce you to my friends!” Please keep in mind that this attempt will be a lot more successful after you’ve proven that you’re a trustworthy friend.

Often, being Christ to our friends doesn’t even involve us mentioning His name in every opportunity we get. ‘Preying’ for someone who’s at his or her weak point to interject the Gospel can be a very insensitive and unloving move. Just be a true friend and approach him or her without ulterior motives. Your friends will grow to know God as they grow to trust you. Offer prayer, but don’t force it. Always pray for those friends on your own, as we know that our faith can move God to soften hearts.

To share the Gospel successfully, you’ve got to invest time and share your life with people. There are no easy shortcuts to sharing the Gospel. That’s why it’s imperative that you actually have a relationship with God yourself, so you can confidently make your faith public. The light that you have should not be hidden or only expressed when you see that it’s the ‘perfect opportunity’ to inject the Gospel into someone’s wounds. By making it known, on your own platforms, that you are a follower of Christ, your friends and family will already know who you stand for. All you’ve got to do now is build solid bridges.

Written by GirlandTheWord

LOL This was the way the man 'Led me to the Lord' I was simply a sale for this man...But I did know that at the time...I had been searching, knowing that I needed God in my life...I already knew that if I died today, as most Christians seem to like to ask, I was on my way to hell. I would not pass go etc. Not because I was a bad person but because I did not know Him...
I was raised a Romanist... and dropped it because of drunken priests etc..the hypocrisy sickened me. I wandered the continent in exploration and to satisfy my 'need' to be moving...(A need I have never satisfied). When I decided I need God in my life I went back to the only church I knew...twice...It was not the church I was raised in but one just like it....The first time was in Rock Springs Wy, then the second time, in Jacksons Hole Wy. Both churches were preaching the same sermon......"Oh The sound system in this building is so old and no good! If you people weren't so cheap we would have a good one!" Oh Puke! I never went back...
But there was a lady who lived nearby a bar that I was managing at the time, who knew the Lord. What I ran was a combo store, bar, and service station... This lady would come into the store once in a while for a few groceries and every time she walked in, well......it was like the sun was coming up inside the building. I had never seen a woman like this before and I was totally head over heals in love.....with a married woman....What a loss for me....Oh well....LOL
After about the third time she came in, she would start sliding her hand down the bar as she walked toward the store.....A hello, a wonderful smile...groceries and gone.... but each time she disappeared there was a slip of paper on the bar with a scripture...I grew to look forward to these papers and kept them... She knew I lived alone, worked alone and made no friends, and so asked me one day...."What do you eat?" Then lovely meals followed! (as if there was something wrong with canned tuna or crackers)....I had never seen this kind of treatment before.....LOL I could go on and on about that marvelous woman but I digress
There was a thing about this woman that drew me like the proverbial moth to the flame. It was much more than the fact that she was beautiful on the outside....She had an inner beauty that shone out of her from toenails to topknot....I saw God in her! And that was what drew me most...This woman was a child of the most High and I wanted what she had.....and she knew it! The slips of paper, the smile, the occasional conversations, the meals...all with nothing expected in return.......Then one day her hubby came in to the store....(What a difference I saw in the two!) and asked of he could come over later after I closed for a talk. Why not? I had nothing else to do.... Well he came over and he went through the bible from lid to lid...Oh he knew his pitch all right....He showed me Jesus from Genesis to Revelation and my need to be saved....What a sales pitch....."What reason was there for me to delay? Why not accept Jesus tonight? Right now?" I had no reason to resist...except for one... I did not trust this character...I saw him as a shyster, a manipulator and more. I was not about to let him have his way....Then he made his mistake. LOL "Would you like to pray after me, or would you like to pray silently as I pray aloud?" "Silently" I answered Heh heh....So he prayed and I almost died of boredom before he finished....When he was done, he shook my hand and left....And I was not saved that night.....I came to Jesus the next night, half drunk and angry and frustrated...Jesus came in, booze went out and a totally sober man stood before his King...No longer frustrated.

What led me to the Lord was not this mans gassy preaching, but the woman's living the Word.....I wanted the God I saw in her....She lived the Word! And by the way.....she still does......

Wow! That was windy....but my point is....Let people see Jesus in and through you...Let Him draw them to Him...

LOL This was the way the man 'Led me to the Lord' I was simply a sale for this man...But I did know that at the time...I had been searching, knowing that I needed God in my life...I already knew that if I died today, as most Christians seem to like to ask, I was on my way to hell. I would not pass go etc. Not because I was a bad person but because I did not know Him...
I was raised a Romanist... and dropped it because of drunken priests etc..the hypocrisy sickened me. I wandered the continent in exploration and to satisfy my 'need' to be moving...(A need I have never satisfied). When I decided I need God in my life I went back to the only church I knew...twice...It was not the church I was raised in but one just like it....The first time was in Rock Springs Wy, then the second time, in Jacksons Hole Wy. Both churches were preaching the same sermon......"Oh The sound system in this building is so old and no good! If you people weren't so cheap we would have a good one!" Oh Puke! I never went back...
But there was a lady who lived nearby a bar that I was managing at the time, who knew the Lord. What I ran was a combo store, bar, and service station... This lady would come into the store once in a while for a few groceries and every time she walked in, well......it was like the sun was coming up inside the building. I had never seen a woman like this before and I was totally head over heals in love.....with a married woman....What a loss for me....Oh well....LOL
After about the third time she came in, she would start sliding her hand down the bar as she walked toward the store.....A hello, a wonderful smile...groceries and gone.... but each time she disappeared there was a slip of paper on the bar with a scripture...I grew to look forward to these papers and kept them... She knew I lived alone, worked alone and made no friends, and so asked me one day...."What do you eat?" Then lovely meals followed! (as if there was something wrong with canned tuna or crackers)....I had never seen this kind of treatment before.....LOL I could go on and on about that marvelous woman but I digress
There was a thing about this woman that drew me like the proverbial moth to the flame. It was much more than the fact that she was beautiful on the outside....She had an inner beauty that shone out of her from toenails to topknot....I saw God in her! And that was what drew me most...This woman was a child of the most High and I wanted what she had.....and she knew it! The slips of paper, the smile, the occasional conversations, the meals...all with nothing expected in return.......Then one day her hubby came in to the store....(What a difference I saw in the two!) and asked of he could come over later after I closed for a talk. Why not? I had nothing else to do.... Well he came over and he went through the bible from lid to lid...Oh he knew his pitch all right....He showed me Jesus from Genesis to Revelation and my need to be saved....What a sales pitch....."What reason was there for me to delay? Why not accept Jesus tonight? Right now?" I had no reason to resist...except for one... I did not trust this character...I saw him as a shyster, a manipulator and more. I was not about to let him have his way....Then he made his mistake. LOL "Would you like to pray after me, or would you like to pray silently as I pray aloud?" "Silently" I answered Heh heh....So he prayed and I almost died of boredom before he finished....When he was done, he shook my hand and left....And I was not saved that night.....I came to Jesus the next night, half drunk and angry and frustrated...Jesus came in, booze went out and a totally sober man stood before his King...No longer frustrated.

What led me to the Lord was not this mans gassy preaching, but the woman's living the Word.....I wanted the God I saw in her....She lived the Word! And by the way.....she still does......

Wow! That was windy....but my point is....Let people see Jesus in and through you...Let Him draw them to Him...

Amen to that! I agree wholeheartedly. It's our lives that speak volumes about who we worship; not our mouths! We often think it's the opposite, but there are definitely no shortcuts to building genuine relationships and interest in other people :).

Generally speaking.....Wouldn't sharing what God has done in your own life be the best way for you to share the Gospel?
Revelation 12:11 (KJV)
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the Word in their testimony;

So...sharing your experience of what God did in your life to bring you into the fold using the Word....It doesn't take a lot of the ugly details, only what God says and did for you.

Yes, absolutely. Sharing your testimony is crucial in sharing the Gospel to others-- but I found that even testimonies are best told in the context of relationship. For example, I could track down an acquaintance, take her out to coffee, and without her asking about my life story, I tell her how I came to Christ. Such an explosive technique wouldn't work for many people, I don't think.. But if we take interest in others FIRST, they might just ask us about our stories-- which then gives us the appropriate timing to share His Word naturally and unforcefully.. :) I hope that makes sense!

sharing seems to depend on your personality. evangelist gifting promotes making it happen and i pray often for these labourers. i have not shared my faith expressly for 25 yrs but daily witness/shine-bright-light in every situation i can.

Hi Robaston,
Praying for others and being the light to our friends are both wonderful callings of all Christians. As someone who's surrounded by quite a bit of introverted/shy friends, I can imagine how difficult it must be to share our testimonies with others outrightly. However, God qualifies the called-- as seen in Moses, who said he couldn't preach because he was a terrible speaker, but God made him a great witness anyway. I pray that you'll experience the overflow of Spirit, begin preaching and prophesying over others fearlessly, for the Lord will be the one guiding your words of knowledge.. and so many souls will get to hear the beautiful story of how God had touched your life. In Jesus' name, amen. <3

Loyal
Yes, absolutely. Sharing your testimony is crucial in sharing the Gospel to others-- but I found that even testimonies are best told in the context of relationship. For example, I could track down an acquaintance, take her out to coffee, and without her asking about my life story, I tell her how I came to Christ. Such an explosive technique wouldn't work for many people, I don't think.. But if we take interest in others FIRST, they might just ask us about our stories-- which then gives us the appropriate timing to share His Word naturally and unforcefully.. :) I hope that makes sense!

Sharing your testimony and the Word IN that testimony

Loyal
Meet them where they are....In their place, at their level....If you preach down at them, how do they feel?

Loyal
The world today is not looking for answers through words, as in the past, they are looking for "reality" by God manifesting himself in his Church. We are only reflectors of the Glory of God that he has shined upon us, we reflect that Glory!!! This is what people are looking for. Jesus Christ manifested in the flesh of his saints. If they see this in us, they will come to you asking what is the reason of the hope of the Glory of God you have. Be ready to answer that question.

2Co 4:9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
2Co 4:10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
2Co 4:11 For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

To share the Gospel successfully, you’ve got to invest time and share your life with people.

I agree with a lot of what you said but you can share the gospel successfully in a short amount of time. Romans 10 says faith comes from hearing the word. we can share that with a stranger we just met and will never meet again. If success is determined by time investment then the gospel is not for everyone like a dying person.