• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

How to pray?

Hi all,
I am new to praying,well concisely anyway. I feel I been praying all my life.
I realised whilst praying with a certain member in mind last night, that there were many other brothers and sisters in the world who also needed prayers.

I had a feeling that I was praying for this one person alone. And not for everyone.

Then the teaching from the Sermon came to me about prayer.

Matthew 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seethe in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 9 After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Before I came to Talk Jesus, No one had ever asked me to pray for them before. this was the only way I prayed, I realised I was praying for members here before I even met you, before you even asked.
Its like a whole prayer for the whole of mankind.

It feels more powerful. God knows what I need before I ask him.

I feel strongly that I should pray this way forever and never change those words. I would feel guilty praying in any other way. I feel as if the Lord is telling me to do it this way. Being new to praying though I would love to hear other peoples experience on prayer, and how they pray for others.

Prayer is communication... just think if my hubby gave me the same card for every holiday every time... I would start to feel ... well not so special ...

A evangelist came to my church in the spring and he gave me a very helpful way to pray in a balanced way ok

Look at your left had with thumb up and fingers pointing right.

Thumb up= which is the first you come to is praise God (way to remember thumbs up usually means good job)

pointer finger = naughty (point tisk tisk) this is where you ask for forgiveness for the sins in your life

ring finger = the commitment finger reaffirm your love for Him let say how you want Him to be the focus of your life that you are His

pinky finger = the smallest finger which stands for the needs and wants in your life

go between fingers and before you know it you wont even think of finger order (lol)

Also praying to God to help you with your prayer life is a very good way actually the best way

Joyfully ~ Jlu

Pray what comes from your heart! :love:

Never feel guilty about changing your Prayer style!
I agree with you when you say that it is good to pray for a large population of people; but don't feel bad if every prayer from your lips, mind, and heart is not always for all mankind. If you are passionate about all mankind, GOD already knows!

I received great advice from an old teacher of mine. She said that sometimes it's really nice to just talk to GOD-even sometimes with not much of a topic in mind!-like how you would talk to a friend.

Pray what comes from your heart! :love:
GBU

Thank you for your replies :thumbs_up

In the case of talking to God as a prayer. I feel I do this constantly.

I feel everyone does automatically. Whether they know it or not.

So even the non believers pray, cool!

Administrator
Staff Member
Nice thread brother. As others stated, pray as a simple communication with GOD. Be sincere as you are already and just talk to GOD. He knows your heart and just wants to talk to you. He is the first you should want to talk to and GOD loves when you talk to him.

Pray in Spirit

1 Corinthians 14:15

15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

Ephesians 6:18

18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Romans 8:26

26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Philipians 4:6-7

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Cognitive said:
Hi all,
I am new to praying,well concisely anyway. I feel I been praying all my life.
I realised whilst praying with a certain member in mind last night, that there were many other brothers and sisters in the world who also needed prayers.

I had a feeling that I was praying for this one person alone. And not for everyone.

Then the teaching from the Sermon came to me about prayer.

Matthew 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seethe in secret shall reward thee openly. 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 9 After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Before I came to Talk Jesus, No one had ever asked me to pray for them before. this was the only way I prayed, I realised I was praying for members here before I even met you, before you even asked.
Its like a whole prayer for the whole of mankind.

It feels more powerful. God knows what I need before I ask him.

I feel strongly that I should pray this way forever and never change those words. I would feel guilty praying in any other way. I feel as if the Lord is telling me to do it this way. Being new to praying though I would love to hear other peoples experience on prayer, and how they pray for others.
Notice the words "after this manner" in v9. The Our Father is a simple prayer. It is a wonderful prayer. But, I believe that "after this manner" means "keep it simple". I don't believe that Jesus was telling us to repeat His precise words each and every time we pray.

If you check the wording of the Our Father, you see that the format is simple: Start off by glorifying God. Next, state your request(s) in a consise manner and, last, Glorify God.