• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

How is Jesus light of the world?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

Loyal
How about John 14:6 "I am the way , the truth and the life - no man comes to the Father but by Me." Jesus Christ speaking.

Jesus Christ was never a victim -- He gave His life for us -- in our place. He is the Son of God.

There is Also the truth that there is also a heaven or hell in each person's life. We are all sinners and the wages of sin is death. But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Each individual needs to accept that gift personally for it to do him / her any good.

"God, as the person of Jesus"? how about Jesus Christ was here on earth for a while in the human form of God the Father in order to die on the cross for our sins and be buried and then rise again bodily on the 3rd day. And after 40 days He ascended back up to the Father in heaven.

Active
Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.
It is contentious to say 'love' is the only truth. God is love, fact. But ''love'' is not always ''God''. The wicked ''love'' the darkness / sin John 3:19.

Loyal
The Lord God is “like the Sun” that gives us light.

Psa 84:11 THE LORD GOD IS LIKE THE SUN THAT GIVES US LIGHT. He is like a shield that keeps us safe. The LORD blesses us with favor and honor. He doesn't hold back anything good from those whose lives are without blame. (Nirv)

The sun within our solar system is millions of miles away from the earth, yet it's “presence” is here with us in the form of “light” God is light so he himself where he sits on his throne is far away in another world (spiritual realm) not unlike this physical world
yet his “presence” is ever with us in the form of light that he has shed into our hearts!

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, HATH SHINED IN OUR HEARTS, to give the light of THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE GLORY OF GOD IN THE FACE OF JESUS CHRIST.

Psa 84:11 The lord God is like the sun that gives us light. HE IS LIKE A SHIELD THAT KEEPS US SAFE........

The sun also protects the earth by its gravitational pull upon asteroids and other objects within our solar system that would normally collide with the earth.

Without the light from our “sun”, there would be no life on earth! Even the food we eat to stay physically alive required light to grow, so eventuality we consume that energy from the sun stored in our food sources.

Without the “sun” as our light source, our physical eyes would not function to allow us to see things! “Whatever makes things visible is light”

Eph 5:13 But WHEN ANYTHING IS EXPOSED BY THE LIGHT, IT BECOMES VISIBLE,

The central source for all physical life on earth comes from the “sun” which causes all the food we eat to sustain life. God is “light” within his Kingdom that gives us spiritual life, vision, and food which comes out of the mouth of God. (Matt 4:4)

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, MAN SHALL NOT LIVE BY BREAD ALONE, BUT BY EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDETH OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.

Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
Rev 21:23 And THE CITY HAD NO NEED OF THE SUN, neither of the moon, to shine in it: FOR THE GLORY OF GOD DID LIGHTEN IT, AND THE LAMB IS THE LIGHT THEREOF.

Rev 22:4 And they shall see his face, and his name shall be in their foreheads.
Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and THEY NEED NO CANDLE, NEITHER LIGHT OF THE SUN; FOR THE LORD GOD GIVETH THEM LIGHT: and they shall reign forever and ever.

To walk in the “light” of God within his Kingdom there will be no “sun”, to lighten it for the Lamb of God who is the “Son” of God is it's light!!

Psa 84:11 THE LORD GOD IS LIKE THE SUN THAT GIVES US LIGHT. He is like a shield that keeps us safe. The LORD blesses us with favor and honor. He doesn't hold back anything good from those whose lives are without blame. (Nirv)

Active
Jesus Christ is the light of the world in that without him you would never understand Gods plan for you, why your here, who you really are, where you really came from, and where you will eventually wind up. It is only with the Holy Ghost that these things are revealed to us and unless he accomplished his mission as the sacrifice for the sin of the world the Father would not have allowed him to give us the Holy Ghost. So in dying to sin for us he opened up the Way of Life for us.
But until the Baptism in the Holy Ghost occurs for each person individually and He opens their understanding they would never SEE this as it is ALL SPIRITUAL. And those without that are blinded live completely in DARKNESS. The LIGHT is a SPIRITUAL LIGHT SHOWING THE WAY YO SPIRITUAL LIFE.

PS I believe your statement of "God as the person of Jesus", should have read God IN the person of Jesus. The Lord Jesus tells us that God was IN him and He IN God. He also told us that he only did what he HEARD OR SAW THE FATHER DOING. In telling us this he explicitly tells us that He and God are not the same being but they are of ONE MIND.

Loyal
The Great I Am's of Jesus Christ.

God's Word does tell us the answers to all the questions you've mentioned.

Jesus Christ had told His disciples that it was to their advantage that He go back Up To heaven so that the Holy Spirit could come and be with each believer individually. While He was there on earth, He could be only one place at a time teaching / healing.

I don't believe that I made that comment '" God as the person of Jesus" -- I was Questioning the comment of the other poster. So, yes, God in the person of Jesus. God incarnate. :)

Active
“OP” How is Jesus light of the world. That is really a hard one “How”. I kinda wish it could of said: “Why”. Now don’t miss understand me How is easy but Why is serious. Answer to How is= Because He is GOD!❤

Loyal
@PloughBoy -- look at John 8:12 "Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness , but have the light of life." and the passage continues

Another thought is that through the blood of Christ -- we can have the 'light' of salvation.

There's a t-storm starting outside -- so I might loose electricity.

Active
Ok, For a place that needs a light it must be dark there. And if it takes a God to pull off His robe in Glory and come down here to light this world up, Satan is a deceiver, he has us walking in the dark and making us think we are in the light. The darkness of this world is so great, it takes the Son of God to open our eyes to see the “Truth”. Isaiah 9:2 (KJV). The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light; they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death upon them hath the light shined.
Psalms 119:105 (KJV). Thy Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Why, because there is only one path, to salvation and the road is narrow and dangerous and you are “sheep among wolves” and a sheep cannot over take a pack of wolves. The Shepherd can. And remember the world Loves darkness but their deeds are evil. I say to you walk in the light. There are the children of darkness and the children of light.❤

Active
@PloughBoy -- look at John 8:12 "Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness , but have the light of life." and the passage continues

Another thought is that through the blood of Christ -- we can have the 'light' of salvation.

There's a t-storm starting outside -- so I might loose electricity.
I hope your power stay on or come back on quickly.

Loyal
Turns out it was a short-lived storm -- a good bunch of lightning and then over. Lights didn't even blink. And I had several back-up lanterns on 'just in case'.