• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

How does generosity change you?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 NKJV

Generously giving your best to God recognizes that accumulating wealth, building your own reputation, or fabricating your own network of security are mirages set to pass away.

In fact, it would be a severe tragedy to hold back from giving your wealth to God. That puts you in danger of relying too much on money or possessions. Jesus frequently warned that being rich puts people in danger of hell, in part because wealth can become a de facto deity, a source of false comfort, security, and provision.

If you want to have hope that you will manage your money well, then you need to learn to give it away. Generosity teaches you that God provides for your needs, and so you can afford to make a space for worship in your life and make donations to those in need.

Only when you’ve learned to give money away reliably does God consider you prepared to handle greater amounts of money. God doesn’t prioritize your comfort, but He does want to ensure that you are secure in Him alone.

Prayer: Lord, help me avoid the trap of wealth so that I can live in the prosperity of Your presence.

I think there's merit and good feeling to be able to do the right thing and letting go of worldly desires. Volunteering regularly is something that helps me remember my priorities and what truly is worth it.

Loyal
Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 NKJV

Generously giving your best to God recognizes that accumulating wealth, building your own reputation, or fabricating your own network of security are mirages set to pass away.

In fact, it would be a severe tragedy to hold back from giving your wealth to God. That puts you in danger of relying too much on money or possessions. Jesus frequently warned that being rich puts people in danger of hell, in part because wealth can become a de facto deity, a source of false comfort, security, and provision.

If you want to have hope that you will manage your money well, then you need to learn to give it away. Generosity teaches you that God provides for your needs, and so you can afford to make a space for worship in your life and make donations to those in need.

Only when you’ve learned to give money away reliably does God consider you prepared to handle greater amounts of money. God doesn’t prioritize your comfort, but He does want to ensure that you are secure in Him alone.

Prayer: Lord, help me avoid the trap of wealth so that I can live in the prosperity of Your presence.
I like this.

Generosity is also a witness to God's goodness and abundance that is a powerful witness in our consumer culture. Most of us are raised into economic thinking is based on scarcity: the world is hostile and unpredictable, so we much each accumulate as much as we reasonably can to protect ourselves and our families from future calamity.

As Christians, our fundamental outlook is that God created the world to be good and fruitful, and that he cares for his children. We can freely give because we have faith that our father God's abundance is inexhaustible.

The world should be looking on at our generosity with amazement and bewilderment, no?

Staff Member
I like this.

Generosity is also a witness to God's goodness and abundance that is a powerful witness in our consumer culture. Most of us are raised into economic thinking is based on scarcity: the world is hostile and unpredictable, so we much each accumulate as much as we reasonably can to protect ourselves and our families from future calamity.

As Christians, our fundamental outlook is that God created the world to be good and fruitful, and that he cares for his children. We can freely give because we have faith that our father God's abundance is inexhaustible.

The world should be looking on at our generosity with amazement and bewilderment, no?
Dear Brother Hekuran,
Agreed, but would they (World) even acknowledge it if they knew, since in our giving we don't advertise, or if they did know, would they see us as something other than generous? For the believer, that our Father knows should be sufficient unto itself, which I'm sure you'll agree with.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Loyal
Yes. I'm certainly not saying we should publish our giving receipts, advertise our giving or anything like that. Just aware that people sometimes watch us carefully and pick up on subtle things about our behaviour that perhaps we're not aware of. They know if our outlook is marked by graciousness and generosity -- or self-preservation and accumulation.

And in the same sermon that Jesus warned about doing good deeds in order to gain people's praise, he said

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Active
1 CHRONICLES 29:14
KJ21
“But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly in this manner? For all things come from Thee, and from Thine own have we given Thee.

Not only does what we receive come from The Lord, but all things that we give have also come from The Lord.

Generosity can teach a soul that it is more blessed to give than to receive. It's interesting to think about how this virtue is able to change a soul. Roots of bitterness and evil (like seeing humans as 'numbers' in a business model) are upbraided by this virtue and replaced by roots of goodness, compassion, and mercy. When a soul learns how blessed it is to bless others they too will be blessed. I have come to see that joy comes in great measures to givers. Actually, I can't really imagine a reality where being prosperous and generous aren't rooted in the same tree. The benefits are endless.

Loyal
in the famous words of Jim Elliot

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.

I have herd many preachers say you show me your check book and we will know wear your heart is, sounds familar

Luke 12:34
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

A man's life doesn't consist of his possessions.
I've been to several poor countries...(well where the average person is much more poor than America)

And people are pretty much the same. Dollar amounts may be different...but still very similar.

And I find that while I enjoy giving of my excess it isn't necessarily a real blessing to the recipients. Wanting more is as old as Adam and Eve. Everyone wants "more".
From the pastor who seldom sits in his luxurious office protected by a stern faced secretary to the untreated bipolar who lost another job today. Everyone wants more.

What does it profit a man who gains the whole world yet loses his own soul?
I've met a few very successful salesmen...they were the best at selling any product anywhere at anytime. From great products to bad ones...they sold everything... always looking for that next sale.
And yet...they had sold themselves and worked so hard for so long their only hobby was gambling. Didn't go fishing or golf or even barbeque. No interest in doing so. No other hobbies...but gambling. Kinda missed the whole point. No real personal relationships either. Completely uninterested in having any.

Then I've met others who were so busy living for everyone else that they were in abject poverty. They wanted to give but had nothing to give...they had already given up everything. They lived in squalor. Very kind individuals but very sorrowful at the same time. I think that they missed the point too.

Maybe there's a balance in there somewhere. A fine line between having enough and having something worthy of giving.