• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

how do YOU read the Bible ?

i have started reading the bible daily simply by opening to a random page and reading from where my eyes first focus , but i am curious on how you guys do it. i simply just dont know where to start or where to look. so any suggestions would be really appreciated !

Loyal
I'd strongly recommend reading in an organised way. The Bible is a story that unfolds over hundreds of years and is recorded in poetry, statutes, history, proverbs, prophecy, letters and visions. If you just dive in randomly it's not so easy to see how things fit together.

Read books from beginning to end and you'll get a much richer sense of what's going on.

There's loads of daily bible reading schemes around, 'read the bible in a year', that kind of thing. Google or a Christian bookshop will sort you out.

Hope that's helpful. Enjoy reading.

Active
Start with Jesus and read the four gospels thoughtfully
then read Acts which tells us about how peoples became Christians and enjoyed signs and wonders
then read the epistles to the churches which teach us how to live as Christians and how to stay saved
No rush - take your time

I recommend the RSV or the ESV for good readable English

Active
i have started reading the bible daily simply by opening to a random page and reading from where my eyes first focus , but i am curious on how you guys do it. i simply just dont know where to start or where to look. so any suggestions would be really appreciated !
I have a devotional book now and read the passage designated for that day.

Many years ago I used to just open my bible at random and read long passages, I also tried to follow a three year reading plan but it didn't work for me.

It's okay other people telling you how to do it but we're not all the same and some of us prefer smaller bites to large chunks.

However I choose to read it - even when I don't really feel like it - I tell myself it is a meal, food for the spirit and even though I don't particularly relish it, it will nurture me anyway just a a meal does. And then there are those times it is like a feast and completely satisfying.

Active
Hi David,

The most important thing to remember is to read, read, and read HIS word. HIS word will fill you. When I first started reading the Bible, I started with Genesis and continued through the first five books. I then went to John, and then the books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Then Paul's epistles. Then the prophets of Old. Then everytging else. I don't know why I started that way, but I've since read it through a few times and some books many, many times. Each time I read a book I've already read, something new comes to light. It's amazing how the Spirit works. Keep reading, you'll see. Blessings.

I use the Bible Gateway app on my iPad. It gives you a daily verse and a year reading plan. I read the New Testament all the way through yearly. Then I also study independent of that. I read Genesis and find the corresponding scriptures in the new testament and write it in. Then Exodus and then the corresponding new testament , and so on. I catch preachers and liars on the TV. I can tell the truth preachers from the liar preachers.

Loyal
every day first thing in the morning, last year I read the OT 2 times, and the NT 5 or 6 times,,,,, I spend at least 1/2 hr in each each day. sometime more and sometimes all day. I also reasearch certain topics throgh the bible. but my core reading is first thing in the morning for a bare minimum of 1 hr. when I first started reading the word it was just a chapter a day, and grew and developed from there