• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Night mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Holy Laughter

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Loyal Member
One of our brothers mentioned this in a couple of his posts. Each time I asked him what it is, I got no answer. So I looked around, and this is the best, short description I found.

The Holy Laughter movement began in 1993 at Carpenter’s Home Church in Lakeland, Florida when South African evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne led services marked by uncontrollable laughter from members of the congregation. Around the same time Kenneth Hagin began holding what he called “Holy Ghost Meetings”, where the power of the Spirit was seen in manifestations of laughter, dancing, and falling under the power. Brother Hagin said that God told him that there was a move of the Spirit that would be lost to the present generation without this movement. In fact, God had spoken to him about this two years earlier but he resisted until he began having heart symptoms and realized that his disobedience was responsible.

When I attended an Assembly of God church as a young man in my late teens and early twenties, I saw similar manifestations there. A lady who taught my Sunday School class told us about a service she attended when she was young where she and others were drunk in the Spirit. (This would have occurred in the 1930s or 1940s. Old time Pentecostal people have known about these things for years.) This was nearly twenty years before the Holy Laughter movement began, so it wasn’t completely unfamiliar to me when I saw what was happening.

Naturally the movement was greeted with criticism and condemnation. Every revival is. They said that it was demonic, or that false doctrine was being taught, or that these meetings presented Christianity in a bad light. Despite the criticism, the movement grew and spread to other countries. Airport Christian Fellowship, a small Vineyard church in Toronto, began experiencing the same manifestations in what became known as the Toronto Blessing. Tens of thousands of people came from overseas to attend these services, and took the experience with them to their homelands. The Holy Trinity Anglican Church in London was impacted, as were churches in Russia, Argentina, India, Brazil, and Africa.

This is nothing new. Laughter was common in the revivals of George Whitfield in the 1730s, and John Wesley in the 1740s and 1750s. In the early 1800s Charles Finney saw the same thing happen in his meetings. In 1897 A. B. Simpson from the Christian and Missionary Alliance wrote about holy laughter. In the early 20th century holy laughter was reported in the Azusa Street revival in Los Angeles.

The most striking example however, is the one from the second chapter of the book of Acts.

12So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?” 13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;

People were saying that they were drunk, which suggests that there was more going on there than merely speaking languages that they had never learned. Peter’s response was that it was the outpouring of the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18 makes an analogy between wine and the Holy Spirit.

And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit …

And then in Acts 13:52 we read:

52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.It might make some Christians uncomfortable, but the fact of the matter is the Bible does support these manifestations. Certainly, there have been extremes and error in these movements, but the biblical thing to do is allow the Holy Spirit to move, and then deal with the mess left behind by the imperfect vessels.

While I realize that we have members who love to rip into men who are anointed by God to preach, I do like Mr Hagin. Charles Finney was a Christian who walked with God. More than once he had a man come to him, drop to his knees and ask "Sir. What must I do to get saved?"

And the apostle Peter spoke to that very subject on Pentecost....so.....Looking att the witness here, I have to conclude that perhaps God does use laughter to heal hearts. What do you think?

Our medical communities teach about the healing, freeing properties of laughter...

Loyal Member
you know you can find just about anything you want to here on the internet, I could most likely search and find people saying it is bad and not of God, then I could search again and find people saying it is of God and good. So who do you believe?

I know I have a very close freind who Jesus has used to heal me that says he has experienced it, I know he loves Jesus with all his heart and soul, and I believe him.

I just ran across this post on face book on this very subject mind you I am not judging anyone, as this is something I do not know about.

"I started going to A Christian church The parishioners would fall down laughing, For about half an hour nonstop laughing. When I started laughing for the first time I could not stop. I would hold my mouth shut and I cannot stop laughing.
Several months later I heard the Holy Spirit tell me when I was reading Grace post on the subject. I would never make you do something you did not want to do. I would never make you look like a fool.
When I prayed off the prayer that I read from Grace post I went to sleep that night and that’s when the snake came out of my nose. It was very painful when it came out"

here is another side to the story,

Loyal Member
you know you can find just about anything you want to here on the internet, I could most likely search and find people saying it is bad and not of God, then I could search again and find people saying it is of God and good. So who do you believe?

I know I have a very close freind who Jesus has used to heal me that says he has experienced it, I know he loves Jesus with all his heart and soul, and I believe him.

I just ran across this post on face book on this very subject mind you I am not judging anyone, as this is something I do not know about.

"I started going to A Christian church The parishioners would fall down laughing, For about half an hour nonstop laughing. When I started laughing for the first time I could not stop. I would hold my mouth shut and I cannot stop laughing.
Several months later I heard the Holy Spirit tell me when I was reading Grace post on the subject. I would never make you do something you did not want to do. I would never make you look like a fool.
When I prayed off the prayer that I read from Grace post I went to sleep that night and that’s when the snake came out of my nose. It was very painful when it came out"

here is another side to the story,

Yup It could well be that too.

Loyal Member
I know one thing if a person experiences this laughter and Loves Jesus who am I to say anything one way or another, they will get no judgement from me. I wish I knew one way or another but I dont.
LOL I don't know either...I'll leave it alone unless Father shows it to me.

Loyal Member
So who do you believe?
You learn to be Spirit Led and then you don't have to wonder.

No doubt there are those strange groups that play with snakes and try to imitate things of God - However the Gift or Spirit of Laughter is a real move of God and not some dumb movement.

I have seen miracles take place and it started with the overpowering of laughter.

Blessings and Love in Christ

Loyal Member
You learn to be Spirit Led and then you don't have to wonder.

No doubt there are those strange groups that play with snakes and try to imitate things of God - However the Gift or Spirit of Laughter is a real move of God and not some dumb movement.

I have seen miracles take place and it started with the overpowering of laughter.

Blessings and Love in Christ
I've seen it a bit in good places but didn't know it was called Holy laughter And I've never experienced it. That kind of public emotion kind of makes me uncomfortable.

Loyal Member
I've seen it a bit in good places but didn't know it was called Holy laughter And I've never experienced it. That kind of public emotion kind of makes me uncomfortable.
Greetings Brother,
For one thing if it were to happen someplace you were at, well you would not be uncomfortable. Just like any move of the Holy Spirit, it fills you and when He fills you, well its anything but uncomfortable.

Our enemy HATES IT!!
he has worked in an area to destroy, bring you down and strip all hope from you and there you are laughing big time and Praising God.

Faith and not fear will arise and this puts a Godly Hope in you. Notice I said Godly hope and not just hope as the world sees hope.

I have experienced this many times right here in my home. The devil set something up that one would think would be the end or defeat.

You can feel fear trying to get you to grab a hold of it.
Time to cast that down and replace it with what God has said about it and Praise God both in words of understanding and in the Spirit.

You can still fill our enemy trying to get you to grab a hold of fear. Thoughts like what are you going to do and so forth. The idea is for you to grab a hold of those words because if you dwell on them, then its only a matter of time before you are SPEAKING I don't know what I am going to do and this opens the door to fear and gives our enemy a legal right in those affairs.

However if you hold tight and cling to the promises of God things will go in a different direction and that direction is victory.

Back to the Laughter.
Many times during this God fills me with Peace and I can not shake the urge to laugh.

I rebuked it a few times and you know act all Spiritual and the battle got harder. I still got the victory but spent days fighting.

So I caught on real quick. The next time I allowed my self to chuckle and it grew until I was in full blown laughter.

Do you look weird or strange to some, you bet and do some think you have flipped out or lost your mind, lol you know it.

But you know when all the knee slapping is done. There is peace like no other and you can feel the victory and instead of fighting you go get a good nights sleep.

When the enemy shows up again, you know he will, and he starts these questions and feelings you just bust out laughing and send him packing.

It is written, the Joy of the Lord is our Strength.
Its much easier to walk in that joy after a good laugh then it is to mustar up some joy fighting fear and doubt and worry.

Any way......that's my experience.

Blessings and Love to you Brother

Loyal Member
Greetings Brother,
For one thing if it were to happen someplace you were at, well you would not be uncomfortable. Just like any move of the Holy Spirit, it fills you and when He fills you, well its anything but uncomfortable.

Our enemy HATES IT!!
he has worked in an area to destroy, bring you down and strip all hope from you and there you are laughing big time and Praising God.

Faith and not fear will arise and this puts a Godly Hope in you. Notice I said Godly hope and not just hope as the world sees hope.

I have experienced this many times right here in my home. The devil set something up that one would think would be the end or defeat.

You can feel fear trying to get you to grab a hold of it.
Time to cast that down and replace it with what God has said about it and Praise God both in words of understanding and in the Spirit.

You can still fill our enemy trying to get you to grab a hold of fear. Thoughts like what are you going to do and so forth. The idea is for you to grab a hold of those words because if you dwell on them, then its only a matter of time before you are SPEAKING I don't know what I am going to do and this opens the door to fear and gives our enemy a legal right in those affairs.

However if you hold tight and cling to the promises of God things will go in a different direction and that direction is victory.

Back to the Laughter.
Many times during this God fills me with Peace and I can not shake the urge to laugh.

I rebuked it a few times and you know act all Spiritual and the battle got harder. I still got the victory but spent days fighting.

So I caught on real quick. The next time I allowed my self to chuckle and it grew until I was in full blown laughter.

Do you look weird or strange to some, you bet and do some think you have flipped out or lost your mind, lol you know it.

But you know when all the knee slapping is done. There is peace like no other and you can feel the victory and instead of fighting you go get a good nights sleep.

When the enemy shows up again, you know he will, and he starts these questions and feelings you just bust out laughing and send him packing.

It is written, the Joy of the Lord is our Strength.
Its much easier to walk in that joy after a good laugh then it is to mustar up some joy fighting fear and doubt and worry.

Any way......that's my experience.

Blessings and Love to you Brother
I understand what you're saying, and I was definitely uncomfortable around it. I really do not know if it was the lack of control, the public displays of such amounts of emotion or the fact of my own upbringing where emotion was to be stuffed down inside and not shown. When I was a child the only emotion that seemed to be accepted was anger to a small degree. No other display..Uh uh No no no. So even now I can be confused by or be very uncomfortable around it. I think sometimes, that I don't see these things often because God knows me and is protecting me from it?

Loyal Member
Lol I know what you mean. Boys don't cry, you wanna cry I'll give you something to cry about. Do what I say not what I do. Rotfl.

In the past if something like that would start, I would make a bee line towards the door and I did not stop picking them up and laying them down until I was safe in my truck!!

Blessings to you Brother

Loyal Member
Lol I know what you mean. Boys don't cry, you wanna cry I'll give you something to cry about. Do what I say not what I do. Rotfl.

In the past if something like that would start, I would make a bee line towards the door and I did not stop picking them up and laying them down until I was safe in my truck!!

Blessings to you Brother
LOL Know what you mean...

Loyal Member
this laughter is when you see people laughing out of control and rolling on the floor, now dont confuse this with joy that comes from God and you smile and laugh, this is when you loose control and scripture teaches us the below

yet the fruit of the spirit is self control

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. ...

Loyal Member
Job 5:22 At destruction and famine you shall laugh, and shall not fear the beasts of the earth.

Gen 21:5 And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
Gen 21:6 And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.

Psa 126:1 A Song of degrees. When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.
Psa 126:2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.

Loyal Member
Job 5:22 At destruction and famine you shall laugh, and shall not fear the beasts of the earth.

Gen 21:5 And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
Gen 21:6 And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.

Psa 126:1 A Song of degrees. When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.
Psa 126:2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.

These scriptures do NOT speak of "Holy Laughter" Uncontrolled laughter.....They speak of ...God said Sarah would have a baby, she was almost a hundred years old, in her nineties? When God said she would have a baby, she thought that was hilarious...She laughed at Gods 'joke'. She saw humor, not 'Holy Laughter.

Psalm 126
When Adonai restored Tziyon’s fortunes,
we thought we were dreaming.
2 Our mouths were full of laughter,
and our tongues shouted for joy.
Among the nations it was said,
Adonai has done great things for them!”
3 Adonai did do great things with us;
and we are overjoyed.

Not "Holy Laughter" here either. What you see here is jubilation for the restoration.

You've misquoted Job 5 as well.
In famine, he will save you from death,
and in war, from the power of the sword.
21 You will be shielded from the lash of the tongue,
and you won’t have to fear destruction when it comes —
22 you’ll be able to laugh at destruction and famine.
Also you won’t have to fear wild animals,
23 for you will be in league with the stones in the field,
and the wild animals will be at peace with you.
24 You will know that your tent is safe;
you will look round your home and miss nothing.

Its easy to laugh at destruction or the like when you know that God will restore it all. NOT "Holy Laughter" There is still no scriptural precedent for this phenomenon. Other than a lack of moderation, a lack of control.

I got into this post. I hope I can get into more....Something is wrong with the site.

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

So then in the beginning it was all very good as made by God. The problem started when people started going their own ways and misusing instead of properly using that which God made. We need to recognize His voice and follow His lead:

"But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." John 10:2-5

His sheep do hear His voice and they do follow Him. So then would we ever be led to laugh by God?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Does God ever laugh? Has God ever laughed? Has He ever made a person laugh?

"He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." Psalms 2:4

"The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming" Psalm 37:12-13

And then consider Sarah already mentioned here as laughing:

"And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." Gen 21:5-6

Yes, God made Sarah laugh and the child born to her was named, Isaac, which means: "he laughs"

So then if God speaks to our heart that we should laugh, should we not listen and obey?

I guess at times we should be laughing sheep!