• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Hidden inferences in the Bible?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
I was asked twice today.... (totally unrelated conversations) about places in the Bible where it seems like things are left out. It seems sometimes we are left to "fill in the blanks".

For example. In one conversation...

Jonah 3: Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you.” So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days’ walk. Then Jonah began to go through the city one day’s walk; and he cried out and said, “Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”

It seems Jonah told the Ninevites... God is going to overthrow your city.
And yet... God didn't.... So I "infer" that God told Jonah "unless they repent" I will overthrow their city.
It turns out they did repent... so.. God didn't destroy them.

... another example of this is....

1 Cor 12: All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts.
And I show you a still more excellent way.

Paul asks several questions about "does everyone have these gifts?" He never answers his question really...
so I "infer" the answer is no.

There are some other passages like this... I always though the answers were "obvious". But it seems sometimes they aren't.

Loyal
one more...

1 Sam 23: Then David said, “O Lord God of Israel, Your servant has heard for certain that Saul is seeking to come to Keilah to destroy the city on my account. Will the men of Keilah surrender me into his hand? Will Saul come down just as Your servant has heard? O Lord God of Israel, I pray, tell Your servant.” And the Lord said, “He will come down.” Then David said, “Will the men of Keilah surrender me and my men into the hand of Saul?” And the Lord said, “They will surrender you.” Then David and his men, about six hundred, arose and departed from Keilah, and they went wherever they could go. When it was told Saul that David had escaped from Keilah, he gave up the pursuit. David stayed in the wilderness in the strongholds, and remained in the hill country in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God did not deliver him into his hand.

David asks God... Will the men of Keilah turn me over to Saul? God says... "yes" they will.
David also asks.... "if they do turn me over to Saul... will he come there? God says.... "yes" he will come.

So David doesn't go to Keilah. He stays out in the wilderness and wanders around a while longer. Did God lie ...
or was there was another "inference" here? Did God mean..... if you go there... this will happen. But if you don't go there it won't happen.