• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Hello

Rather than rewrite most of what I've written already I'll copy and paste from my reply to a post here.

I know many "Christians" are against 12 Step groups. Everyone has an opinion. 9/19/1981 is the 1st day I consciously decided not to do drugs or drink. Fortunately, my best friend at the time had sobered up the year before and took me to my 1st meeting. Before some of you get wound up, I was involved with a church as well. However, I surrendered to THE FATHER through his son 13 years after I sobered up. 1994. It's a process.

This would be useless if I stopped here. I was physically and emotionally abused by violent parents, I was sexually abused by a relative. I started smoking at 8 and drinking at 12, drugs at 18. The list of things I didn't take is shorter than what I did. I broke all the commandments eagerly and willingly. Every pastor I asked for help had nothing for me. The same for the kind people in the various congregations where I inflicted my presence upon them.
I used to smoke pot with my 1st pastor who performed my 1st wedding. He wanted me to be his dealer. Funny thing is, I knew it was wrong and decided to be virtuous and declined. I started questioning religion at that point. I knew God was real but had no idea what that meant. So I continued drinking and drugging while I destroyed my life and nearly destroyed those of my wife and kids.

I've gone to a variety of different denominational churches. I spent 5 years as a rabid charismaniac. Then I got serious and began to study scripture.

Here's where I'm at. If you're going to tell me what scripture says in response to something I post please make sure you really know what it says. What I'll do is go to a Greek and Hebrew dictionary, look at a concordance or two and then check out the historical and societal context all to see if you know what you're talking about. I expect the same in return.

For example, charismatics claim you are not fully baptised in the holy spirit unless you "speak in tongues". Really? Imagine my surprise when I looked up what that phrase meant in the original Greek. It means to speak in another language. That's it. There is no other reference in the Book about a secret prayer language, or the ability to speak in another language as the confirmation of spiritual baptism. For that matter there is no legitimate reference to the holy spirit as a spiritual being. Anyway I left the charismaniacs shortly after that.

So, I'm still studying and questioning. I enjoy a good argument. I hope that doesn't scare you off.

Definition of argument

1a: the act or process of arguing, reasoning, or discussing : ARGUMENTATION
b: a coherent series of reasons, statements, or facts intended to support or establish a point of view; a defense attorney's closing argument.

Today I've been happily married for 33 years to a wonderful woman. I believe Yahweh brought us together. Life is good. I didn't say perfect, just good. We're content with what we have and know we've been blessed.

I dont believe what many Christians traditionally believe so I'll keep those things to myself, for now. I'm interested to see where and how this goes.

Staff Member
The work of righteousness will be peace; the service of righteousness will be quiet confidence forever.
Isaiah 32:17

@Mart
Greetings,

James 3:17 (KJV)

Young's Literal Translation
and the wisdom from above, first, indeed, is pure, then peaceable, gentle, easily entreated, full of kindness and good fruits, uncontentious, and unhypocritical: --

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But the wisdom that is from above is pure, filled with peace, meek and attentive, filled with love and good fruit, without division and does not show partiality.

Good News Translation
But the wisdom from above is pure first of all; it is also peaceful, gentle, and friendly; it is full of compassion and produces a harvest of good deeds; it is free from prejudice and hypocrisy.

Berean Literal Bible
But the wisdom from above is indeed first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and of good fruits, impartial, sincere

The Amplified Bible
But the wisdom from above is first of all pure (undefiled); then it is peace-loving, courteous (considerate, gentle). [It is willing to] yield to reason, full of compassion and good fruits; it is wholehearted and straightforward, impartial and unfeigned (free from doubts, wavering, and insincerity).

A Translation For Translators
But when people are wise [PRS] in the way that God [MTY] wants them to be, they are pure in every way, which God considers to be very important. They also act peaceably towards others, they ◄are considerate of/think about the rights and feelings of► others, they are willing to yield to the wishes of others, they act compassionately toward others, and they do all kinds of good things for others [MET]. How they treat others does not depend on ◄others' status/whether others are important or not►, and they are sincere in all they do.
(Figures of speech [MET] = metaphor; [MTY] = metonymy; [PRS] = personification)

James 3:18
Peacemakers who sow in peace reap the fruit of righteousness.

Bless you ....><>