• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

head coverings

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

corinthians 11 speaks of wearing head coverings whilst praying or prophesying (in regards to women), some people say it is for the culture of the time but i am not sure what do you guys think.
God bless you :love:

aaroncam85
This was a topic of mine a long time ago now,
I too once went through a terrible dilema over this very subject, then the Pastor of the church I was attending then, did a bible study and convinced us it was biblical to wear a head covering, although it does not say in the bible 'a hat' and most hats do not cover your whole head anyway, but I did, went along with it, until I moved, by the prompting of the Holy Spirit to a vast church, were out of 2000 people only 2 or 3 wore a hat, now was I right and they all wrong, well that was my interpretation of it anyway.

Then the Pastor, a much older man, mature, said 'do you think the wearing of a hat makes you more holy?' well that did it for me, hat came off and has never went back on.

I think it is something that there is no sure of hard set rule over, do you think the Lord Jesus loves us less if we dont wear this or that? is that not Jewish custom?
It's the same discussion as 'Alcohol' some agree some don't, who decides?

I don't know, perhaps someone will come along and join in.
but I do know we will all have our own opinion, I think it's whatever the Holy Spirit tells you to do, you will know by that.
I knew this way, I don't think of it anymore it's settled in heaven for me anyway.
I'ts not worth working yourself up into a lather over it.
Jesus would not want us to get hung up on these matters, are they not he law that He came to set us free from?

The word is more important, not how we dress to hear it. My view anyway.

thank you for your reply and i agree we should follow the spirit and that the way i dress is not important but the real thing behind it all is this: i look at the church in general and i feel not many of us wish to believe everything the bible says (we say we do but our actions do not seem to match) such as Christ returning any minute, if we believe why don't we be more pro active in the spreading of the gospel. i think if this is written in Gods word it has more importance then just being an ancient custom.

When in Rome....

My head *is* covered. I wear the helm of Salvation. There is no fabric woven by mankind that has greater value or better strength.

It is not the practice of most churches locally for women (or men) to cover their heads in any mundanely visible way. As such, it would be a negative distraction for me to do so. I do not covet such attention.

Having said that, if I am among those for whom my visible hair will be a stumbling block, then I cover my hair for their sake and thank God that I am placed into a situation where I may show mercy to the weaknesses of others.

I once attended a Morning worship service of the Brethren.
Well I didnt know they do not allow you to break bread at the Lord's table without a hat of some sort on, so I was passed a beret and asked to wear it.

This reminded me of attending a funeral at a Jewish Synagog all the married ladies were handed headscarfs, but he single ladies did not have to cover their heads.

As I've said the place of worship I now attend do not impose the wearing of anything on your head.

so who's got it right?
and how do we know they have? God's word says a head covering, but that it brings shame to the husband if not worn by his wife, doesn't say shame to God.

I meandered over to this thread as I just posted another thread on this subject and would just like to ask two questions of any considering the issue of head coverings.

1. Are you willing to put a veil over your head (for women) when praying or prophesysing and for the men are you willing to teach that to women if indeed it is God's will based on what is written that such be done?

2. Do you seek the glory of God in this matter and not your own? Meaning have you stripped away all self-will about this issue out of your heart such that your ONLY interest is doing His will for His greater honor and glory within the Body?

If you can answer affirmatively to both questions I believe that according to the promise of Christ below that you can not only know whether or not head coverings are for today but that you can also understand what Paul taught about it.

If you cannot answer affirmatively then nothing said in line with truth will be accepted by you such that we will go back and forth and get nowhere.

John 7:14-18 (AKJV) bolding is mine

Now about the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. And the Jews marveled, saying, How knows this man letters, having never learned? Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaks of himself seeks his own glory: but he that seeks his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
Carlos

PS. Oops. I did not realize this was such an OLD thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0
C Bible Discussions 43
Chad Bible Answers 0