• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Happy Fourth of July America

Staff Member
This is for our members who live in America.

Happy Fourth of July!

America is celebrating her 236th birthday! Our unprecedented freedom was the result of specific ideas, many of which were drawn directly from the Bible. In fact, at the 150th anniversary celebration of the Declaration of Independence, President Calvin Coolidge affirmed:

No one can examine this record and escape the conclusion that in the great outline of its principles the Declaration was the result of the religious teachings of the preceding period. . . . They are found in the texts, the sermons, and the writings of the early colonial clergy who were earnestly undertaking to instruct their congregations in the great mystery of how to live. . . . Placing every man on a plane where he acknowledged no superiors, where no one possessed any right to rule over him, he must inevitably choose his own rulers through a system of self government.

On the 200th anniversary, President Gerald Ford also affirmed its Biblical roots:

Our Bicentennial is the happy birthday of all fifty States, a commonwealth, and self-governing territories. It is not just a celebration for the original Thirteen Colonies. . . . The earliest English settlers carried the Bible and Blackstone’s Commentary. . . . [and] American families in prairie schooners like these took with them on the overland trails the principles of equality and the God-given rights of the Declaration of Independence.

As we celebrate our 236th birthday, let’s make sure we preserve our memory of these unique governing principles. Here are three simple things you and your family can do:
  1. Read the Declaration of Independence. It is both a pleasurable and a rewarding experience that should be enjoyed by every citizen. The Declaration is a deep, rich document, giving the twenty-seven reasons that America was birthed, and also setting forth in its first 155 words the six immutable principles of American government – the six principles on which the Founders later erected the Constitution of the United States – the six principles that still produce American Exceptionalism today.

2. Learn something new about those who wrote the Declaration. Look at the names of the fifty-six signers; find one you don’t know – perhaps one you’ve never heard of before, and look him up and read a short bio about him (perhaps from sites such as Colonial Hall or get a copy of Lives of the Signers, so that you can have a short bio about each one of the signers. In short, rediscover a new Founder.

3. John Adams said that Independence Day “ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.” So enjoy the fireworks and parades and celebration – but also make sure to honor and thank God – make it a day celebrated “with solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”
Happy Birthday America! May God continue to shed His grace on Thee!

From Wallbuilders

Staff Member
Happy Saint George's Day to you, too.
Dear TLM,
I do believe that day falls in April and not July. :)
Plus, I do believe it has more to do with the UK, then the US.
Though I would say that the slaying of the Dragon bit appeals to the American gaming community.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Dear TLM,
I do believe that day falls in April and not July. :)
Plus, I do believe it has more to do with the UK, then the US.
Though I would say that the slaying of the Dragon bit appeals to the American gaming community.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
Saint George's Day is July 4. You were thinning of the other "national holiday", which is the birthday of whoever is on the throne, varies, and isn't in fact a national holiday in England. There are other notable differences between English and American money. In England an ounce of gold is worth the same amount as a pound of silver and that's about all there is to is, while in the United States votes and monetary values "vary", meaning that while Charels' money will all have the royal crest on the back, Grent is backed by the Justice Department, Lincoln by a monument, Eisenhower by the lunar landing, and there are other differences.

Staff Member
Saint George's Day is July 4. You were thinning of the other "national holiday", which is the birthday of whoever is on the throne, varies, and isn't in fact a national holiday in England. There are other notable differences between English and American money. In England an ounce of gold is worth the same amount as a pound of silver and that's about all there is to is, while in the United States votes and monetary values "vary", meaning that while Charels' money will all have the royal crest on the back, Grent is backed by the Justice Department, Lincoln by a monument, Eisenhower by the lunar landing, and there are other differences.
Dear TLM,
July 4th for me is special, because that was my mom's birthday. (07/04/1910) :)
I used to tell her the whole country is celebrating your birthday mom! lol

Never really thought on Saint George's Day, whether on the 4th or any other time it considered to be appropriate! :)
I'm not a real holiday kind of guy. I used to get involved because it cheered my wife up who enjoyed these days. Once she went home to be with the Lord, holidays once again have fallen into the "shrug" category for me. lol

As far a money/gold is concerned. The US started its own doom, when they left the gold standard behind. Now they think all they need is a printing press. :(

I don't usually do a UK/US comparison, because they really are different, but in some respects the same too. Enjoyed the couple of years I spent in the UK, and even found out that my humor and theirs (dry) were pretty much the same! lol They had one show that was called The Last of the Summer Wine which had older characters which I truly enjoyed. I must be an old soul at heart....I wonder what that makes me now that I am old! hehehe

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of some good memories.
God bless and take care.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Dear TLM,
July 4th for me is special, because that was my mom's birthday. (07/04/1910) :)
I used to tell her the whole country is celebrating your birthday mom! lol

Never really thought on Saint George's Day, whether on the 4th or any other time it considered to be appropriate! :)
I'm not a real holiday kind of guy. I used to get involved because it cheered my wife up who enjoyed these days. Once she went home to be with the Lord, holidays once again have fallen into the "shrug" category for me. lol

As far a money/gold is concerned. The US started its own doom, when they left the gold standard behind. Now they think all they need is a printing press. :(

I don't usually do a UK/US comparison, because they really are different, but in some respects the same too. Enjoyed the couple of years I spent in the UK, and even found out that my humor and theirs (dry) were pretty much the same! lol They had one show that was called The Last of the Summer Wine which had older characters which I truly enjoyed. I must be an old soul at heart....I wonder what that makes me now that I am old! hehehe

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of some good memories.
God bless and take care.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
The signatories thought they were standing up for the rights of Englishmen, that's why they did it that way. A national holiday national day off from the Cromwell Stewart Civil War? I remember that from my stay in the Midlands, too. If I ever find out on exactly what day and by which documentary route Jeff Davis left the Union, I'll be really happy, and my "Civil Wars of the English-Speaking People" education will finally be complete.

Fortunately for me, I'm from Massachusetts, so I could religiously be civil and still stay out of it by telling everyone that September 29th was a state holiday back home. Oxford University didn't know the difference. The rest of the city had never heard of Michael Dukakis anyway, and seemed happy enough with a Greek sprite, since Rhodesia was always on the agenda.

Staff Member
The signatories thought they were standing up for the rights of Englishmen, that's why they did it that way. A national holiday national day off from the Cromwell Stewart Civil War? I remember that from my stay in the Midlands, too. If I ever find out on exactly what day and by which documentary route Jeff Davis left the Union, I'll be really happy, and my "Civil Wars of the English-Speaking People" education will finally be complete.

Fortunately for me, I'm from Massachusetts, so I could religiously be civil and still stay out of it by telling everyone that September 29th was a state holiday back home. Oxford University didn't know the difference. The rest of the city had never heard of Michael Dukakis anyway, and seemed happy enough with a Greek sprite, since Rhodesia was always on the agenda.
Dear TLM,
You do like you history! :)
God bless you.

YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><