• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Growing weary

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Its interesting Jesus said " “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.".

And yet Paul warns us (Christians) of growing weary.

Gal 6:8; For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
Gal 6:9; Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
Gal 6:10; So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Notice it says we will reap ... if ... ( a conditional statement.
Have you ever grown weary of "doing good". Perhaps you haven't taken rest in Jesus.

2 Thes 3:13; But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good.
2 Thes 3:14; If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame.
2 Thes 3:15; Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

There seems to be a lot of talk in media today about "shaming" people, and "judging" people.
and that we should just love them. In many cases we are loving them straight to hell.
One of the things it seems we grow weary of.. is resisting sin.

Heb 12:2; fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Heb 12:3; For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Heb 12:4 ;You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;

It seems that striving against sin can make us weary, and can even cause us to "lose heart".
Those are the times we need to "come to Jesus" ( Matt 11:28; )

It seems some take the verse above.. "the joy set before Him"... as Jesus took joy in being crucified.
This is ridiculous of course. The joy that was set before Him was the reward in heaven for His obedience.

There are rewards for not growing weary. But hat in itself is not enough.

Rev 2:3; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary.
Rev 2:4; But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

There are those who leave their "first love" (Jesus). Sometimes this also is because of weariness,
but more often, it is because people refuse to repent, and go back to where they started with Jesus.

Rev 2:5; Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent.

A dire warning for those who have quit doing the will of God, either due to weariness, or otherwise.

Loyal
Its interesting Jesus said " “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.".

And yet Paul warns us (Christians) of growing weary.

Gal 6:8; For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
Gal 6:9; Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
Gal 6:10; So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Notice it says we will reap ... if ... ( a conditional statement.
Have you ever grown weary of "doing good". Perhaps you haven't taken rest in Jesus.

2 Thes 3:13; But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good.
2 Thes 3:14; If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame.
2 Thes 3:15; Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

There seems to be a lot of talk in media today about "shaming" people, and "judging" people.
and that we should just love them. In many cases we are loving them straight to hell.
One of the things it seems we grow weary of.. is resisting sin.

Heb 12:2; fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Heb 12:3; For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Heb 12:4 ;You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;

It seems that striving against sin can make us weary, and can even cause us to "lose heart".
Those are the times we need to "come to Jesus" ( Matt 11:28; )

It seems some take the verse above.. "the joy set before Him"... as Jesus took joy in being crucified.
This is ridiculous of course. The joy that was set before Him was the reward in heaven for His obedience.

There are rewards for not growing weary. But hat in itself is not enough.

Rev 2:3; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary.
Rev 2:4; But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

There are those who leave their "first love" (Jesus). Sometimes this also is because of weariness,
but more often, it is because people refuse to repent, and go back to where they started with Jesus.

Rev 2:5; Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent.

A dire warning for those who have quit doing the will of God, either due to weariness, or otherwise.
I agree, but I believe the "joy set before him" was the salvation of human lives, for that is why he endured the cross, scorning its shame. He did this for you and for me that we might be delivered out of bondage (addiction) to sin, and so we might be liberated to walk in victory over sin and in Christ's righteousness. He died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness (1 Pet. 2:24).