Grace !!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:7)

Loyal Member
Seems on today's social media I see all over the place the "grace card" being played in a WAY I do not agree with. Some very slick folks with fancy words and descriptions and great rebuttal that will make you believe what they are saying, when I first started studding and trying to learn the word of God I was very confused when reading what a lot of people taught what grace was.

So what do I here on social media about grace I here it is basically a free pass to sin. I here you can not do anything to earn salvation so dont worry if you do not produce fruit, it is grace that saves you not fruit. I here no you wont see any change in your life when you are saved. I here we are all sinners and and can not stop sinning and all sin is alike. thats why we need grace. I here the rich young ruler that Jesus told to sell all his possessions was a example of someone being saved by grace.

Ok so what I understand is Grace is needed because we are not good enough to be saved and never will be while in the flesh. So I get that.

so are there conditions for Grace?? because some will receive it and other will not. now the second a person ask such a question he will usually get shot down with a reply like "well if there is conditions for grace then it is not grace" or "that makes it a works salvation"

Understanding we are never going to be good enough to earn our way to heaven is easy part, understanding why we need grace because we can not earn our way to heaven is easy part.

Hard part why do some get grace but other dont??

Seems to me it boils down to obedience which has a direct relationship with faith which is how we get grace ?? maybe I know some will say I just described a works salvation, but how else do you explain our responsibility while in the flesh to seek God and obtain Grace??

IF my child was not good enough to earn a living on his own but tried and tried but simply could not afford to live the most basic life I would help him grace ?? but if a child who was lazy and wicked and did not try at all would he receive help grace??

I can really only tell you from my life experience that my life did not change while I was a believer. It changed when I seeked God with all my heart and repented and became obedient.. Growing up I always believed in Christ and went to church, but I am almost certain I was not saved I lived in sin so I was not getting grace at that time I think. Fast forward to about 5 years ago I started searching hard to understand, reading the bible changing from a catholic church to bible only church, and wow I know for a fact I have changed that has to be grace. I know I am still not good enough to earn salvation but I know I have received grace because I am a totally different person, just ask any of my friends they wiill tell you. So I can say looking at my experience I did not change until I was obedient and seek God with all my heart and soul.

So does Grace and change go hand in hand? can you have grace with no change?? I hope you can for the sake of many who I see that say the believe but have not change, I really dont know.

Can A person stay a infant in Christ your whole adult life and be saved?? I hope so for the sake of many, but I dont know

Loyal Member
Good subject.

The Bible does it say it's possible to fall short of grace.

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

2 Cor 12:9; And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

So then what does the verses above mean? I think there is a difference between "sufficient" and "covers everything all the time". For example, I know it's going to take 20 gallons of gas for you to get New York. I might give you 40 gallons of gas "just in case" you're off a little. But I'm not going to give to give you 400 gallons of gas so you can go sight seeing with your friends in Florida.

This passage seems to divide grace into a "before" and "after", You can do nothing to get saved,
but after you are saved, some things are expected.

Eph 2:8; For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
Eph 2:9; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Eph 2:10; For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

I believe Jesus gives us a lot more grace than we deserve.

John 1:15; John *testified about Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.'"
John 1:16; For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.
John 1:17; For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

Acts 15:11; "But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."

There is a lot more to say about this.

Loyal Member
in order to receive grace we must first receive mercy in order to receive mercy we must first repent ???

Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Luke 5:32
I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Hebrews 4:16
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Peter 1:3
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 731 helpful votes
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 6:14
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

2 Timothy 4:22
The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

I Wonder does this mean any good works we do or any obedience we have is not because of us but because of the grace of God in us..

2 Timothy 1:9
Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Last edited:
Loyal Member
Jude 1:4
For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

Loyal Member
There are people who think "grace" is a guarantee of sorts, but I don't see this in the Bible.
We have to be the good stewards of this grace.

1 Pet 4:10; As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

Acts 13:43; Now when the meeting of the synagogue had broken up, many of the Jews and of the God-fearing proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue in the grace of God.

Rom 6:1; What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?

Rom 6:15; What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

2 Cor 6:1; And working together with Him, we also urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain

Gal 1:6; I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel;

Heb 10:29; How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Heb 13:9; Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited.

1 Pet 5:12; Through Silvanus, our faithful brother (for so I regard him), I have written to you briefly, exhorting and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it!

Dave M already posted this one above... but I will include it here

Jude 1:4; For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Loyal Member
So now, my friends, we're back to "What is Grace?" You cannot be a good steward of grace if you don't know what it is. How would you recognize it if you saw it? Or how would you know its gone, if you don't know what it is? The church at large defines grace as mercy. 'Unmerited Favor' in future tense, or past tense whatever. But have you ever noticed? The bible does not but grace and mercy as being the same thing? The bible talks about grace. The bible talks about mercy, and the bible talks about grace and mercy in the same sentences...If grace and mercy were the same thing....the bible would not use phrases like "grace and mercy". It would simply say grace...or mercy. Like here...
Hebrews 4:16
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

So...What is grace? B-A-C just used a verse that shows what grace is. 2 Cor 12:9; And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Dave you don't have to worry. A Christian can overflow in grace but it never gives him a free ticket to sin. If he lives in Grace he is walking in Christ. No lie!

Loyal Member
For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
If these people were, "ungodly", and if they "denied Jesus" they certainly were never born again.

Loyal Member
Grace is not a "single" gift that covers everything. The scriptures say that "grace" can be "multiplied".

2Pe 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

Every promise in scriptures is given by it's own separate grace that is received by faith that comes from that promise.