• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Good Friday

Staff Member
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen [gathers] her brood under [her] wings, but you were not willing! Luke 13:34

The people of Jerusalem had seen Jesus' miracles but in the end had too much to lose to trust in a Messiah their leaders had rejected. Few continued believing in Him as He hung on the cross.

When Jesus was crucified, most of His disciples gave up believing, that He was the Messiah and began thinking He was only a prophet (see Luke 24:19-21). Yet as a criminal hung on the cross next to Jesus, he said, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). He believed that Jesus was King and about to enter His heavenly kingdom.

For his amazing faith, Jesus assured the man that this same day he would be in paradise with Him. And the dying criminal trusted Him. What inspired him to believe? There's no real way of understanding why, other than to conclude that God inspired the faith that had sprung up in his heart.

Perhaps, like this criminal, you recognize that Jesus stands for all that is good, and even though you haven't forsaken all your besetting sins, you're now repenting and reengaging with your faith. May God inspire you to trust in Him during your darkest hour.

Prayer: God, please give me the faith of the dying thief.