• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Going Out on a Limb or Exercising Faith?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:3)

Active
Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:22‭-‬33 NKJV

This was still the early part of the 'Jesus campaign'. The disciples had hitched onto what was fast becoming a notorious speaker growing in popularity. What this guy taught was so totally different from the chanting and rantings of the Pharisees on Sabbath mornings in the synagogue, He was challenging their authority and they seemed to have no answer to Him, add to that several jaw dropping miracles, the beginnings of a real bandwagon. Life was looking good for these disciples, really good.

Following the feeding of the 5000 (now that was some conjuring trick, how did He pull that off?) Jesus asked the disciples to go on ahead, He needed some time to Himself which of course they understood and willingly complied with His instruction. However, a sudden storm descended. Now I don't see any panic here, remember that nearly half of the disciples were fishermen, used to inclement weather and they were undoubtedly experienced in handling a boat in such conditions. The other half were probably a bit green around the gills. This is the second time that the disciples were caught in a storm in a boat. In the previous storm the disciples were afraid the boat was going to break up and they were all going to drown. It took Jesus's intervention, literally telling the storm to shut up! Matthew 8:23-27. I don't know if this storm was not quite so bad or this previous experience gave them some comfort.

Anyway, back to this storm. Then appeared Jesus, defying physics, walking on the water, dodging the waves. This is one of Jesus's most popular and well known miracles and has become a byword for an egotist with an extraordinary opinion of himself: 'thinks he can walk on water'. His earlier miracle too is widely renowned and has become a byword for a large family or group meal: 'it's like feeding the 5000'.

Have you ever asked yourself, what is the purpose of this miracle? It was one of a handful that was for 'entertainment', most were healing miracles. I deliberately put the word entertainment in inverted commas because it's the wrong word. This was not entertainment, this was a revelation to His disciples that Jesus is indeed the creator God, the laws of physics do not apply to Him. He created the sea, so He can quite easily walk on it. A very patient microbiologist might be able to explain to me how, when I eat a 50 gramme biscuit I put 4 pounds on, no physicist will ever explain how Jesus walked on the sea. And yet an even bigger miracle was about to take place, Peter asked and Jesus OK'd; 'Jesus, can I have a go?' Now Peter was actually walking on water, yes, walking on the sea. Truly amazing.

But after a few minutes Peter slips up, he looked past Jesus at the background. The storm was getting fiercer by the minute, it was still pitch black. If whatever was keeping him up were to fail, he would almost certainly drown. Matthew recounts that instinctive panic took over, Jesus took that as a lapse in faith and belief and so Peter began to slip, literally! Adrenaline took over but rather than curse and squeal expletives he cries out to Jesus to rescue him, and of course Jesus reaches out to Peter and rescues him. Soon afterwards the storm pieters out

Preachers down the centuries have given poor Peter a good castigating for his temporary blip, a lack of faith, took his eyes off Jesus, but for me, if you want to see lacking faith, look instead at the eleven examples sat in the boat. When Peter called out his request to Jesus there was not one other request, can I come to? No when it comes to going out on a limb, the safest place to be is on the sidelines spectating and if anything goes wrong you can wag your finger and smugly frown.

Safety is not usually associated with God's will. Risk taking, with the risk covered by faith in His loving care and protection, more often is, particularly when before the outset, like Peter, Jesus's blessing on your request or project is sought.

So to all the church pew fillers, I urge you to get involved not just as a spectator but sleeves up, get involved. If the project doesn't strictly follow to plan, cry out to Jesus: 'Lord, save me!' He will and the storm will soon pieter out.

Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:22‭-‬33 NKJV

This was still the early part of the 'Jesus campaign'. The disciples had hitched onto what was fast becoming a notorious speaker growing in popularity. What this guy taught was so totally different from the chanting and rantings of the Pharisees on Sabbath mornings in the synagogue, He was challenging their authority and they seemed to have no answer to Him, add to that several jaw dropping miracles, the beginnings of a real bandwagon. Life was looking good for these disciples, really good.

Following the feeding of the 5000 (now that was some conjuring trick, how did He pull that off?) Jesus asked the disciples to go on ahead, He needed some time to Himself which of course they understood and willingly complied with His instruction. However, a sudden storm descended. Now I don't see any panic here, remember that nearly half of the disciples were fishermen, used to inclement weather and they were undoubtedly experienced in handling a boat in such conditions. The other half were probably a bit green around the gills. This is the second time that the disciples were caught in a storm in a boat. In the previous storm the disciples were afraid the boat was going to break up and they were all going to drown. It took Jesus's intervention, literally telling the storm to shut up! Matthew 8:23-27. I don't know if this storm was not quite so bad or this previous experience gave them some comfort.

Anyway, back to this storm. Then appeared Jesus, defying physics, walking on the water, dodging the waves. This is one of Jesus's most popular and well known miracles and has become a byword for an egotist with an extraordinary opinion of himself: 'thinks he can walk on water'. His earlier miracle too is widely renowned and has become a byword for a large family or group meal: 'it's like feeding the 5000'.

Have you ever asked yourself, what is the purpose of this miracle? It was one of a handful that was for 'entertainment', most were healing miracles. I deliberately put the word entertainment in inverted commas because it's the wrong word. This was not entertainment, this was a revelation to His disciples that Jesus is indeed the creator God, the laws of physics do not apply to Him. He created the sea, so He can quite easily walk on it. A very patient microbiologist might be able to explain to me how, when I eat a 50 gramme biscuit I put 4 pounds on, no physicist will ever explain how Jesus walked on the sea. And yet an even bigger miracle was about to take place, Peter asked and Jesus OK'd; 'Jesus, can I have a go?' Now Peter was actually walking on water, yes, walking on the sea. Truly amazing.

But after a few minutes Peter slips up, he looked past Jesus at the background. The storm was getting fiercer by the minute, it was still pitch black. If whatever was keeping him up were to fail, he would almost certainly drown. Matthew recounts that instinctive panic took over, Jesus took that as a lapse in faith and belief and so Peter began to slip, literally! Adrenaline took over but rather than curse and squeal expletives he cries out to Jesus to rescue him, and of course Jesus reaches out to Peter and rescues him. Soon afterwards the storm pieters out

Preachers down the centuries have given poor Peter a good castigating for his temporary blip, a lack of faith, took his eyes off Jesus, but for me, if you want to see lacking faith, look instead at the eleven examples sat in the boat. When Peter called out his request to Jesus there was not one other request, can I come to? No when it comes to going out on a limb, the safest place to be is on the sidelines spectating and if anything goes wrong you can wag your finger and smugly frown.

Safety is not usually associated with God's will. Risk taking, with the risk covered by faith in His loving care and protection, more often is, particularly when before the outset, like Peter, Jesus's blessing on your request or project is sought.

So to all the church pew fillers, I urge you to get involved not just as a spectator but sleeves up, get involved. If the project doesn't strictly follow to plan, cry out to Jesus: 'Lord, save me!' He will and the storm will soon pieter out.

You can't "Exercise" what you don't have.

Spiritual world...
Peter walked on water.
Carnal world...
Peter couldn't swim, Peter felt the crashing of waves against his legs, and began to sink in doubt.

Jesus followed what he seen the Father do. Spiritual vision right in front of Him, Father walking on water...Jesus followed.

Now forsaking all...pick up your cross and follow me.

Forsaking ALL...
Or run to mammon for your needs, and proclaim I believe in Jesus...lol

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Experience speaking...
Do what you see Him do.
You will be shown vision in the Spirit...follow Him. Do exactly what He just showed you to do. Whether walking on water, laying on of hands, or standing up in church with arms outstretched in the form of a cross while the pastor ridicules you and your God.

Now the pastor returns next week as though millstones had been tossed around his neck and wanted "this" off him, he said. He refer to himself as ole stony, and i was rocky. The hand full of members rushed around him to lay on hands and pray. I sat still. He dumped all the virgin olive oil on his head and ran down his suit. I watched a grey mist shower them all.

Lay hands on no one quickly.
Without God, we can do nothing.
Amen