• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Night mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

God Loves good but hates evil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
"Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken.
Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph." Amos 5:14-15

Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

"I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,
And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness." Mal 1:2-3

So it may be confusing to us if we do not understand what "good" is:

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18

"None "good" but One", and so it is and as John writes:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

If we in any part are "good" is it not because of God in us and/or working in us? We are to be like Him and as we approach that likeness is it not the "good" [godly part] in us that is moving us closer to Him?

God hates Esau, why? Because he went from bad to worse. What is it that God hates? The evil! Apparently in the end there was nothing else left in the eyes of God.

"He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." Matt 13:11-12

Is this not what happened to Esau? Like every man in his beginning he had hope of coming to God and becoming like Him. But when he rejected his hope, the hope that he had was taken away... and there was finally no room for him to repent. That was taken away.

When there is only evil left then God who is love no longer responds. God does not respond to evil. Apparently this loss of any possible connection with God is what the scripture calls "hate". In other words for a God who is Love, no response at all would described as "hate".

What was the end of Esau?

"For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears." Heb 12:17

Do we know when a person has reached that place where God will no longer respond to him at all? "No place of repentance"[unforgiveable sin?] Usually not.

God might show us what is happening with another person, but unless He does specifically show us we should not give up hope and we should continue to pray for that person...

"And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons." I Sam 16:1

Loyal Member
When there is only evil left then God who is love no longer responds. God does not respond to evil. Apparently this loss of any possible connection with God is what the scripture calls "hate". In other words for a God who is Love, no response at all would described as "hate".

@amadeus2

are you saying God gives us a certain time to repent and then there comes a time its just to late?? I think there was mention of this in the book of revelations with one of the churches

Loyal Member
are you saying God gives us a certain time to repent and then there comes a time its just to late?? I think there was mention of this in the book of revelations with one of the churches
"@Dave M" I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but I do see this throughout the Bible.

Rom 1:21; For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22; Professing to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23; and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.
Rom 1:24; Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
Rom 1:25; For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Rom 1:26; For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,

If you reject God long enough... He will give you over to what you want.

Rom 1:27; and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
Rom 1:28; And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,

Pharaoh hardened his heart against God several times. ( Exod 7:13; Exod 7:22; Exod 8:15; Exod 8:32; Exod 9:7; Exod 9:34-35; )
Finally God hardened Pharaoh's heart. ( Exod 10:20; Exod 10:27; Exod 14:8; )

There does seem to be a "window", a limit to God's patience with some situations.

2 Cor 12:21; I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have sinned in the past and not repented of the impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced.

1 Cor 9:27; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Paul seems to be saying we can "disqualify" ourselves if we are really determined to do so.

2 Thes 2:10; and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
2 Thes 2:11; For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,
2 Thes 2:12; in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

It seems that if we keep refusing to believe the truth.... God will go ahead and them be "deluded".

2 Tim 3:6; For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses,
2 Tim 3:7; always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2 Tim 3:8; Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith.

There are some men... "who are always learning"... but even so... they are never able to "come to the knowledge of the truth".

2 Tim 4:3; For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
2 Tim 4:4; and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

There are people that will no longer want to hear the truth. They will "turn aside" to believe myths and false doctrines.

1 Tim 5:15; for some have already turned aside to follow Satan.

Obviously they weren't always following Satan... they had to make a "turn aside" to start following him.

1 Tim 4:1; But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

Col 2:8; See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

It seems some people can be "taken captive" by philosophy and deception.

Saul quit obeying God, and God put an evil spirit upon him.

1 Sam 16:14; Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him.

If we keep rejecting God over and over.... keep being disobedient... He will eventually give us over to what we want.

Loyal Member
I forgot to include the verse you mentioned as well :smile:

Rev 2:20; [COLOR=red] 'But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. [/COLOR]
Rev 2:21; [COLOR=red]'I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality. [/COLOR]
Rev 2:22; [COLOR=red]'Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds. [/COLOR]
Rev 2:23; [COLOR=red]'And I will kill her children with pestilence, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts; and I will give to each one of you according to your deeds. [/COLOR]

God gave them "time to repent", but they did not want to repent. So then He says... OK fine... here comes sickness, pestilence and tribulation.
Again we see this "window of time" to repent.

Luke 13:6; And He began telling this parable: [COLOR=red]"A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any. [/COLOR]
Luke 13:7; [COLOR=red]"And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?' [/COLOR]
Luke 13:8; [COLOR=red]"And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer; [/COLOR]
Luke 13:9; [COLOR=red]and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.'" [/COLOR]

Jesus comes looking for "fruit" on a certain tree for three years. He doesn't find any.... He asks... why is this tree even taking up space in my orchard?
He even waters and fertilizes the tree....

Again... there is this "window of time" to bear fruit... but after the window closes... if you're still not bearing fruit.
Chop it down and throw it into the fire.

Loyal Member

@amadeus2

Our brother @B-A-C answered you very well and with scriptures as well. I would add that God will not stop having mercy on us even in our failures [COLOR=#0000ff]if[/COLOR] our hearts continue to be directed toward Him in spite of our failures and stumblings. In this consider King David who clearly stumbled and sinned repeatedly during his reign and his service of God. But, when he became aware of or was confronted with his mistakes he knew what the penalty was supposed to be and really was ready to receive it. His predecessor King Saul, when caught in his errors, tried to justify himself and/or blame the mistakes on others, while King David admitted his sins and expected to the receive the prescribed penalty.

In the case of Bathsheba and her husband, Uriah, the penalties were death for adultery and death for murder, but... God had mercy on him because I believe David's heart was right when confronted with his sins:

"And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." II Sam 12:13

He was chastised severely, but it was not with his own life as required by the law God had given to Moses:

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death." Lev 20:10

"And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death." Lev 24:17

God has never changed. He has always looked at the heart of a man rather than simply the black and white letter of the law that you and I might recognize.

Saul repeatedly moved out of God's will and was never shown to be repentant. He rather made excuses and made not even promises to do better.

How many times will God be merciful before finally that window is closed? There is not precise number, but He gives us some real clues in the type or shadows seen in these verses:

"Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice;
Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:" Numbers 14:22-23

That was for all of the adults except Caleb and Joshua who followed the Lord with their hearts.

But then see Moses:

"And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them." Numbers 20:11-12

Because he struck the rock instead of speaking to it like God told him [Numb 20:8] Moses was also not allowed to enter the Promised Land. Why 10 times for the people but only once for Moses? See the words of Jesus:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Moses was given more than people who followed him and more was required of him. We, with the written Bible and the Holy Ghost in us, also have more than those who have neither. People in the United States and other western supposedly Christian nations have so much more than the people serving God in Haiti or the people serving God in the Middle East so we should beware when we presume that we already have in made into the Kingdom of God because we made one promise.

Yes, God is merciful, but the window can be closed. God never changes.

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits." Prov 16:2

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bill Ethics & Morality 0
Christ4Ever Bible Library 2
Y Bible Discussions 1