• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

God lifted me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

In early April, 1983 I was sailing along pretty comfortably (or so I thought) drinking "a few beers" every night and a few more on weekends. I had money problems because bills kept getting in the way of supplying my alcohol. I was usually crabby or about to become crabby. But, of course, that wasn't my fault. It was always "their fault". It was always, "poor me, poor me, pour me another one".

Our son was born with some serious physical issues. One night they were holding a "Charismatic Prayer Service" at a local church. My wife bugged me and bugged me until I went, just to shut her up. She and I trucked our son down to the church. I found out when we got there that this meeting had been promoted in four or five states, not just our local area. The church was packed and it was hot in there. More than that, I was "hot" because I desperately wanted a drink.

I stood in line seemingly forever with my son and my wife so he could get prayed over. I only wanted my son to get prayer. I wanted to get it over and get home to my beer. God had other ideas.

I had my first encounter with the Holy Spirit that night. It was awesome! I came away from there with a raging thirst for God's Word - yes, me. I'd never owned a Bible in my life. My next payday came about a week later and, of all things, instead of going straight home after work to get a beer, I headed for a Christian book store and bought a Bible. After that, I went home to drink a beer.

What a sight I must have been for the next couple of months;Every night, me and my Bible and my beer.

It was literally "turn a page, take a drink, turn a page, take a drink" for hours every night. I dog-eared that old paperback Bible in that two months. I was so excited by what I found in that book. I didn't want to put it down.

The "turn a page, take a drink" went on until August 6th when God spoke to me and said that He didn't want me to touch that stuff any more. I asked Him to help me. That was twenty-two years ago and I haven't had a hangover since.

By the way, I still read the Word on a daily basisand it still blesses me. :thumbs_up :rainbow:

What an awesome God I serve!

Administrator
Staff Member
That's a great testimony brother thank you for sharing! God loves us all so much. He talks to us and will surprise us with great things, great blessings.

Our GOD is an awesome GOD! Thank you for sharing this.

WOW, widh i coudl be liek that... lol well not with the Drinkign stuff or the Wife part... not at my young age or nothign. lol but yeah as in pick up bible and just READ. ... liek i am STARTIGN to get into a habbit of it liek as often as i can so far it gouin quit well, but yeah i knwo that one day wil come and i just "wont feel like it" and that one day will prob be the most important one of my bible readings but yeah i knwo it will come but it wotn with Gods help so yeah i am hopign that God will help me with it but yeah it still lurks in the back of my mind that that day will come... How Sad... :(:(

Love Simon!!!

Praise the Lord that you have such a testimony. Share when ever you can to encourage others here. My husband has been alcohol free for almost as long and you know what I remember him reading his bible when he would come home from the bar. The Holy Spirit spoke to him too, he would go to the bar almost every night. In the course of that first year the Holy Spirit lead him to stay home one night a week, then 2, then 3 then 4 etc.... Than in the course of that year his drinking was over. I praise God everyday for delivering him from the alcohol and everything else that went with it. I'm sure your wife and family do too! What a mighty God we serve!!! He is faithful.

Your sister in Christ,
AlabasterBox :girl:

:rainbow:

ICHTHUS said:
WOW, widh i coudl be liek that... lol well not with the Drinkign stuff or the Wife part... not at my young age or nothign. lol but yeah as in pick up bible and just READ. ... liek i am STARTIGN to get into a habbit of it liek as often as i can so far it gouin quit well, but yeah i knwo that one day wil come and i just "wont feel like it" and that one day will prob be the most important one of my bible readings but yeah i knwo it will come but it wotn with Gods help so yeah i am hopign that God will help me with it but yeah it still lurks in the back of my mind that that day will come... How Sad... :(:(

Love Simon!!!
Icthus:

Regular daily Bible reading requires some discipline on our part. God has never come and grabbed me and shoved a Bible at me and yaelled "Read!"

Ask God to help you with the discipline issue, then start reading your Bible whether you "feel like it" or not. You can do it!

brother

really ur testimony touched me a lot. brother, be in that holy life. And let the Holyspirit guide you into more holy life.

God lifted me

:thumbs_up :girl:

God meets us were we are at, its so good that we do not have to change first to recieve from God. He does the changing gradully, in the end we want to change.

marieg :present:

The father Loves us all,we just have to turn to his side and look for him.But he never stops loving us and watching over us.Thanx for sharing ur experience,its really great.

Wow that is awesome! You know, all of my life my mother was an alcoholic. I only wish she gave it up the way you did. She wont even go to church with me.

Your testimony is a great inspiration to me to keep on keepin on with witnessing to my mom.

Thank you Brother!

God Bless you!
Sis in Christ:love:
Lnrobar

Isnt it amazing that we read certain threads at certain times because thats when the lord knows we will learn from it.... thankyou lord

An impressive tale of the Love of God. One giving glory to His Name, and His grace toward men, where ever it is shared. Thanks Ed for sharing that. God Bless You and your Family. ...........and the end is not yet!!

Love lifted me. Love lifted me. When no one but Christ could help, Love lifted me.
Love lifted me, Love lifted me. When no one but Christ could help, Love lifted me.

Blessed assurance Jesus is mine, O, what a fortaste of glory divine.
Heir of salvation, purchase of God, born of His spirit, washed in His blood.

Thas is my story this is my song, praising my Saviour all the day long.
This is my story this is my song, praising my saviour all the day long.

Amen Amen. God bless you my dear brother, he does I am sure.

Last edited:
yes with GOD all things are possible

neat story really bless me we serve a great GOD praise HIM everyone that has breath i like i like

Love lifted me, Love lifted me.
When no-one but Jesus could help.
Love lifted me

"God is love"....Were it not not His love.......where ..O where would we be.

Blessing's in Jesus to you dear brother

In His LOve

In early April, 1983 I was sailing along pretty comfortably (or so I thought) drinking "a few beers" every night and a few more on weekends. I had money problems because bills kept getting in the way of supplying my alcohol. I was usually crabby or about to become crabby. But, of course, that wasn't my fault. It was always "their fault". It was always, "poor me, poor me, pour me another one".

Our son was born with some serious physical issues. One night they were holding a "Charismatic Prayer Service" at a local church. My wife bugged me and bugged me until I went, just to shut her up. She and I trucked our son down to the church. I found out when we got there that this meeting had been promoted in four or five states, not just our local area. The church was packed and it was hot in there. More than that, I was "hot" because I desperately wanted a drink.

I stood in line seemingly forever with my son and my wife so he could get prayed over. I only wanted my son to get prayer. I wanted to get it over and get home to my beer. God had other ideas.

I had my first encounter with the Holy Spirit that night. It was awesome! I came away from there with a raging thirst for God's Word - yes, me. I'd never owned a Bible in my life. My next payday came about a week later and, of all things, instead of going straight home after work to get a beer, I headed for a Christian book store and bought a Bible. After that, I went home to drink a beer.

What a sight I must have been for the next couple of months;Every night, me and my Bible and my beer.

It was literally "turn a page, take a drink, turn a page, take a drink" for hours every night. I dog-eared that old paperback Bible in that two months. I was so excited by what I found in that book. I didn't want to put it down.

The "turn a page, take a drink" went on until August 6th when God spoke to me and said that He didn't want me to touch that stuff any more. I asked Him to help me. That was twenty-two years ago and I haven't had a hangover since.

By the way, I still read the Word on a daily basisand it still blesses me. :thumbs_up :rainbow:

Isn't God wonderful?!!!!!!!

I headed for a Christian book store and bought a Bible. After that, I went home to drink a beer.

It was literally "turn a page, take a drink, turn a page, take a drink" for hours every night.
lol Bro. SLE..

And Amen... what an amazing testimony... i got encouraged here of my hope towards my parents and other siblings... they already accepted the Lord Jesus Christ, my father too devoured the Bible from Genesis to Revelation encouraging him to read it again and again... yet still in bondage of some vices and my brothersssssss...

thanks for sharing with us...

God bless you...

Sis Reymielin

Last edited: