• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

God doesnt want to punish anyone

The Bible makes it clear that our awesome God takes absolutely no pleasure in causing anyone pain. He never rubs his hands together in glee at the thought of dispensing divine judgement. If you have pictured God as some kind of celestial cop, eagerly waiting to ticket hapless motorists who violate his cleverly concealed speed traps, then you definately need a different picture of the Lord. The true picture. The prophets surely did not see God as someone who delighted in doling out punishment. While they never minimized sin, they always reminded their people of the merciful and loving nature of the Lord they served. [ I myself said, "How gladly would I treat you like sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation." I thought you would call me "Father" and not turn away from following me...Return faithless people; I will cure you of backsliding. (Jer.3:19,22 niv)

|That's God Punishing You

When I was young, when something went wrong such as when I hurt myself or broke my favorite toy my parents would say that was God punishing me. Even today when I sin I know it will soon be followed up by "God's punishment". I take it from your post that God does not delight in handing out punishments?

Administrator
Staff Member
Jesus Christ. That is your answer to GOD's mercy.

1 Peter 1:23
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 10:28
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Sweet Used to Believe

:rose: Hey beauty, God just loves us so much. Do we get punished? Not in a way that is ugly and awful, but in a way that leads to learning. I am sorry that you were taught that God was vengeful, because He is not full of vengence. It is hard to get over that though, isn't it? He will teach us lessons and only because He loves us, not because he callously wants to wreak our lives. God is beautiful and so full of love.

You are going to be okay and go so very far with your faith used2believe. Hey I thought you were going update that name of yours.

Sunshine and smiles for you, used to believe and a big hug of the Holy Spirit to you. What a family we are in God and anyone who adores our Father and loves Him, is my family and friend. So, you got a few friends here and we are happy to have you and as Chad said, God is not a god of unforgiveness, but of Power and merciful love.
Smile and let the Lord have a smile for you too. Amen

Shar :rose:

My thoughts are eating at me. I went to a bible study last night and it scared me. It was on Hell. The idea of going to hell is not a pretty one. I believe that God sent His son to this earth as my Redeemer for my sins. I believe He was crucified, died and then 3 days later rose again. I know I am under the new covenent and that I am saved by the blood of Jesus. I believe this with all my heart. Is that enough to get to heaven? I keep getting a nagging feeling that I need to quit smoking. I have not yet listened to it. If after we accept Jesus, we continue to sin, do we lose our ticket to heaven? I think of the bible verse that our good works are not redemptive to us, they will not give us a free pass or get us any closer to Jesus. I also then read in Romans that there will be wrath for those who do evil. No sin is any less in God's eyes, so hurting Gods "temple" is just as bad as killing someone to God. Right? If we ask for forgiveness for ur sins, but then continue to do the same win, will God turn His back from us? What about sins of omission? Hearing God tell you to do something, but then ignoring it? THe bible study really kinda scared me and I do not want to go to hell.

used2believe said:
When I was young, when something went wrong such as when I hurt myself or broke my favorite toy my parents would say that was God punishing me. Even today when I sin I know it will soon be followed up by "God's punishment". I take it from your post that God does not delight in handing out punishments?

Wow, used2believe, though as a kid I took enough punishment from short-tempered parents, I feel fortunate that they were unbelievers, so I know God is the One not to blame.

Perhaps the only correction your parents ever received is the unfair way that uses ill-conceived words about God as a weapon for punishment. Maybe your parents thought that way about God, because they were not taught the true nature of God. The first thing He wants you to know is He loves you and has plans for you to receive all of His blessings by His perfect grace. :love:

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, , nor any other created thing, shall abe able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

pixie said:
:rose: Hey beauty, God just loves us so much. Do we get punished? Not in a way that is ugly and awful, but in a way that leads to learning. I am sorry that you were taught that God was vengeful, because He is not full of vengence. It is hard to get over that though, isn't it? He will teach us lessons and only because He loves us, not because he callously wants to wreak our lives. God is beautiful and so full of love.

You are going to be okay and go so very far with your faith used2believe. Hey I thought you were going update that name of yours.

Sunshine and smiles for you, used to believe and a big hug of the Holy Spirit to you. What a family we are in God and anyone who adores our Father and loves Him, is my family and friend. So, you got a few friends here and we are happy to have you and as Chad said, God is not a god of unforgiveness, but of Power and merciful love.
Smile and let the Lord have a smile for you too. Amen

Shar :rose:

Smiles for you

:rose: Hey Smiles: Don't be afraid of sin, it has no power of you. If God were to show the world all the sin that is in it, we would all be paralzyed with fear. All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. It is just that He does not subject us to sin, even though we sometimes dwell in it. I tell you, if I knew the amount of sin I was sinning, I wouldn't be able to move an inch, I would be catatonic.
Focus on your smiles and sharing your smiles with the Holy Spirit. Give Him a piece of your love and He will help you on your journey into making yourself ready for Heaven. Hell unfortunately is real, but don't even picture yourself there. For the simple reason you are afraid of hell, is one answer to you about why you are Heaven bound. Jesus says it is a narrow gate to Heaven. We must all work together to make sure that so many are lined up to enter this gate. Can you picture the longest line up in Creation, waiting to get through the gates of Jesus.
Take care and smile and don't pressure yourself about what you don't do, love yourself for what you do, like writing here at talkjesus. God bless and Amen :rose:

Thank you! I have been told before it is my fears of thingsin the bible that show my devotion to the Lord. Perhaps that is the fear of God that is talked about so much in the bible. I long for the day tht I have a better understanding of all that is in the bible so that I too can be a light to someone in the darkness.