• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

God’s Understanding Nature

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
But He, [being] full of compassion, forgave [their] iniquity, And did not destroy [them]. Yes, many a time He turned His anger away, And did not stir up all His wrath; For He remembered that they [were but] flesh, A breath that passes away and does not come again. Psalm 78:38-39 NKJV

A big part of being a good father is recognizing your children’s considerable limitations. That’s especially true when it comes to them understanding how they’re to behave and why they’re to behave that way. No loving, compassionate dad would expect his seven-year-old son to behave anywhere close to the way a full-grown man would (1 Corinthians 13:11).

God’s love for you is a lot like that. He understands you, and He knows you are severely limited—in your wisdom, thinking, and ability to live in a way that meets His standards of holiness. And while the Lord will never compromise His standards, He has compassionately and mercifully reached down. He’s reached down to flawed men He knows are incapable of doing anything in their own power to reach Him.

This truth is humbling because it reminds you of your own smallness. Then again, it is cause to praise God for sending His Son to do what you could never do for yourself.

Prayer: Father in heaven, thank You for knowing me and understanding me far better than I know or understand myself. It’s only because of Your love and understanding that I have the blessed privilege of knowing You and living for You.

Active
But He, [being] full of compassion, forgave [their] iniquity, And did not destroy [them]. Yes, many a time He turned His anger away, And did not stir up all His wrath; For He remembered that they [were but] flesh, A breath that passes away and does not come again. Psalm 78:38-39 NKJV

A big part of being a good father is recognizing your children’s considerable limitations. That’s especially true when it comes to them understanding how they’re to behave and why they’re to behave that way. No loving, compassionate dad would expect his seven-year-old son to behave anywhere close to the way a full-grown man would (1 Corinthians 13:11).

God’s love for you is a lot like that. He understands you, and He knows you are severely limited—in your wisdom, thinking, and ability to live in a way that meets His standards of holiness. And while the Lord will never compromise His standards, He has compassionately and mercifully reached down. He’s reached down to flawed men He knows are incapable of doing anything in their own power to reach Him.

This truth is humbling because it reminds you of your own smallness. Then again, it is cause to praise God for sending His Son to do what you could never do fisagree isiiior yourself.

Prayer: Father in heaven, thank You for knowing me and understanding me far better than I know or understand myself. It’s only because of Your love and understanding that I have the blessed privilege of knowing You and living for You.
Our understandings are often reached after many years of revelation and reasoning and we hold fast to them because they sustain us in our times of need and have proved reliable. Others may have understandings that disagree with ours, but are equally sincerely held. and when we debate, our understandings can often conflict. We are all on a learning curve and we need our counsellor for guidance, so for any of us to claim that we have surety is to not respect our fellow debaters. Sometimes debates can become heated, but on reflection, when all has calmed down, a light may shine in one of the debaters minds and their understanding is enriched. This is the beauty of sites like Talk Jesus. Our understandings come under scrutiny and we have to seek the Word to verify our understandings and in searching the scriptures we grow and become strong. If I have upset anyone on talk Jesus in one of these conflicts I sincerely apologise, but to hurt never was my intention and to see pain in a fellow believer saddens me. I ask Jesus to bless us all and bring us peace.