• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

God’s Love Determines His Mercy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! Psalm 51:1-2 ESV

You may not be able to argue the case for your own virtue or perfection before God, but the reality is that your transgressions aren’t something that you can hide. Even if you are painfully aware of your sins and you feel shame before God, today’s psalm has a message of hope and encouragement.

Powerless though you may be, God is prepared to show mercy to you based solely on His unfailing love. There is nothing you can bring to the table. There is no condition you have to meet in order to prompt God to love you or to show you mercy. You only need to seek His mercy in humility. As you recognize God’s compassion and mercy, you can drop every other pretense or plan to blot away your sins. The transformation from fear and shame to cleansed and confident is God’s work that you can only receive.

Make no mistake that God’s love and mercy is a serious matter. God is under no obligation to save anyone, but His love and delight in mercy prompt Him to continue reaching out, even to those who have rejected His mercy.

Prayer: Lord, I am not worthy of Your mercy and love, but I come to You in confidence today because You have chosen to cleanse me of my sins.