• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Glorifying God's Name

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Help us, O God of our salvation, For the glory of Your name; And deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins, For Your name's sake! Psalm 79:9

In this prayer of repentance for Israel's sins, the psalmist appeals to God's holy name, trusting Him for deliverance and atonement--not because Israel deserved it, but because God was merciful, and His name was worth glorifying.

Matthew Henry makes this observation in his commentary--that "deliverances from trouble are granted in love, and are mercies indeed, when they are grounded upon the pardon of sin and flow from that; we should therefore be more earnest with God in prayer for the removal of our sins than for the removal of our afflictions, and the pardon of them is the foundation and sweetness of our deliverances."

How often do you ask God to remove your afflictions rather than your sins? Maybe it's time to flip the script, showing a willingness to glorify God's name while you quietly endure the afflictions that resulted from sin. You'll find peace with God, regardless of whether or not God delivers you from your afflictions.

Prayer: Lord, I confess to being quick to ask for deliverance and slow to being willing to endure affliction that resulted from my sin. Going forward, I want to glorify Your name, regardless of whether or not You choose to deliver me from my afflictions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Christ4Ever Devotionals 1
jaboyle100 Devotionals 2
Fragrant Grace Devotionals 0