• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Dark mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Getting down and dirty

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

Loyal Member
There is a old hymn I used to sing. I still sing it from time to time.
Is says... Are you washed in the Blood of the Lamb? I could not find this exact phrase in my Bible, but some are close.

Heb 9:22; And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

1 Cor 6:11; Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

1 Jn 1:7; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Heb 13:12; Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate.

There is a verse about having your robes washed, I have wondered about the significance of this. What is the difference between us personally being washed, and our robes being washed?

Rev 7:14 I said to him, "My lord, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

So if we are cleansed by the blood, can we get dirty again? There are a number of verses that seem to say we can.

Rev 3:4 'But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

many?

Matt 15:11; "It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man." (also see Mark 7:20; )

Jas 3:6; And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

the entire body?

2 Pet 2:20; For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
2 Pet 2:21; For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.
2 Pet 2:22; It has happened to them according to the true proverb, "A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT," and, "A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire."

Jesus told the disciples, that even though they were washed, they still needed to have their feet washed from time to time. It appears it wasn't a "once and done" thing.

John 13:6; So He *came to Simon Peter. He *said to Him, "Lord, do You wash my feet?"
John 13:7; Jesus answered and said to him, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter."
John 13:8; Peter *said to Him, "Never shall You wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
John 13:9; Simon Peter *said to Him, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head."
John 13:10; Jesus *said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
John 13:11; For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."
John 13:12; So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?

Heb 10:29; How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Last edited:
Loyal Member
Now I know there is a tenant of Calvinism that believes in predestination. This bleeds over into once saved always saved and all that.
For example... with all the verses above in mind.

Does God forgive us of all our "past sins" only. (Up until the moment of Salvation). Or does He forgive all of our future sins also?
If we follow Calvinism through it's ultimate conclusion.... God already knew all the sins I would commit before I was born, so I when I became saved, they were all already forgiven in advance.

Or on the other hand, my sins are forgiven up until the day I got saved. Part of Salvation includes acknowledging our sins and asking for forgiveness.
Can I ask for forgiveness for sins I haven't committed yet? In the OT people had to sacrifice every year, and for some sins, everytime they committed the sin.
It wasn't a "once sacrifice covers all" situation.

Now in the new testament, we do have a "one sacrifice covers all sin" situation, but do we have a "one confession covers all sin" situation as well?
Or are we supposed to ask forgiveness everytime we realize we committed a sin. (Yes, it may be possible, we didn't realize we committed a sin).

Loyal Member
Now in the new testament, we do have a "one sacrifice covers all sin" situation, but do we have a "one confession covers all sin" situation as well?
Or are we supposed to ask forgiveness everytime we realize we committed a sin. (Yes, it may be possible, we didn't realize we committed a sin)
If we grasp, understand or realize we have sinned then it would be our own hearts in us that has convicted.

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

Now this "sin" may not keep you out of Heaven but it will stop your Growth and Hinder the Hand of God in your life AND be as an open door or giving place to the devil.

So yes Repentance and Forgiveness is vital every single time you Know something is sin in your life.

Blessings