• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Fruit versus Good works??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
The message at my church today was a lot about the fruit of the spirit, for some reason I have had this confused with good works.

So the fruit of the spirit is the condition of our hearts, is what is seems to boil down to I think?

For some reason I always thought of us producing fruit, was doing good works like visiting widows or orphans, etc.....

But it seems this is wrong, the two are separate? the fruit we produce is actually the holly spirit in us that produces these conditions in our inward heart, that should be seen outwardly in the way we live, and really treat others, especially when things are not going are way you can really see what a persons heart is like. and I do believe we do have responsibility to develop these fruits

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Good works is
Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Anyone else would like to add to the difference of the two? your thoughts would be most welcomed

Loyal
Could you think of it as the inner and outer dimensions of the same thing?

The fruit of the spirit is kindness and love. You see that in action in the good works of caring for orphans.

No one can see exactly how the spirit is working inside you. But anyone can see how you treat your colleagues at work.

It seems a bit of a technical distinction to me.

Active
James 1:27 says helping orphans and widows in need is religion un-defiled for a reason. It is mostly truly selfless actions.

Imagine you decide to go and stand up in church and share on what you did for the Lord over the weekend. The person in front of you says ''Hi guys, so God used me to cast a demon out of a person this weekend''. You come on and say 'Hi Guys, I helped an old lady change a light bulb''.

The James 1:27 Christian is showing evidence of the Holy Spirit at work within them. The Matt 7:22 Christian is still living for self.

Loyal
In Luke we have John saying repent and bear good fruit

Luke 3-8,9
8...Bear fruits in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.
9..Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

Bible sure does talk a lot about fire for it not to be literal :smile: but that for another thread not this one.

So we have John saying bear fruit, and then we have them asking what shall we do?? seems they are asking directly what to do, in order to bear fruit and show true repentance.

10...And the crowds asked him, “What then shall we do?”

11...And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”
12...Tax collectors also came to be baptized and said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?
13...And he said to them, “Collect no more than you are authorized to do.”
14..Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what shall we do?” And he said to them, Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.”

so it seems John is answering my direct question about bearing fruit, so my thoughts are fruit of the spirit are inner changes that the Holly spirit makes in us, but produces outer works, along with outer character.So John goes on to tell these people exactly what to do in order to bear fruit, and it is there particular situation that he advises to

. And. all these have in common as to share, and dont be greedy, be content. All are about money and possessions. We can really do a litmus test on our- self on how we treat our money and possessions. Seems to be a direct relationship about our money and possessions and spiritual condition which is the fruit of the spirit IMO

it is interesting that he does not say anything, like praying or bible study, or sharing our faith.BUt everything he says is concerning the way we handle money or possessions, sharing and being content, and fair, is the bottom line here it seems to me.

There 2 in the same thing!! done with faith. The works are a manifestation of ur faith and the fruit is what ur life will show from ur faith, 2 pee's in a pod.

Loyal
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

The fruit of the Spirit is not something we do, it is what the Holy Spirit does in the life of a believer!

The "works of faith" is what God does through a person who has faith in him because faith works by love (God)