• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

focus

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said. Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, “ Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!” The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Luke 10:38-42

In this short passage of scripture there is no record of a miraculous sign, Jesus did not give a parable, and the people he was staying with were not public icons. Why would the Holy Spirit inspire Luke to write this in his gospel? Let’s look closely at the whole event.

Jesus and his disciples were traveling and came to a village and Martha one of the villagers invited them to come to her home. When they arrived they met Mary, Martha’s sister. Jesus and his disciples were welcomed into the home to relax from there journey. Martha began to take care of all the things needing to be done for her guests. Mary was drawn to Jesus. Although it isn’t recorded here what Jesus was saying, we know it was very good , because even at age twelve Jesus astounded the teachers at the temple. Mary went and sat right at Jesus’ feet and listened to all he was saying. She became so focused on Jesus that nothing could distract her from him . I think we all can use some practice in this area. It’s possible that there were other things going on at the same time Jesus was talking. We know for sure that Martha was busy. But Mary was able to tune everything else out of the picture and keep her focus on the Lord. She had become captivated by Jesus.

Martha was focused on her service to Jesus and the other guests. The text reads that Martha was worried about all that needed to be done. In the original Greek text the word perispao was translated here as worried and in the KJV it was translated as cumbered, but a better definition is distracted. Martha was distracted by all that needed to be done. If we allow ourselves to be distracted from Jesus, eventually we become focused on ourselves.

Look at Martha’s situation and how she responded. First, she becomes distracted by her service to Jesus and becomes frustrated that no one is helping her. Second, she becomes a distraction, “Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?” Third, we can see that because she failed to direct her focus back to Jesus, she became focused on herself. “Tell her to help me!” Here’s another example, but this time it’s a man who has been distracted.

In Matthew 14:22-33, there is a story where Peter steps out of the boat to walk to where Jesus is standing on the water of the sea of Galilee. “But when he looked around at the high waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.” Here again we see the same outcome. Peter’s focus went from Jesus to the waves and then to himself. In our meetings I wonder if our focus is Jesus or our service to Him? We may reason that all these things are needed or need to done and that is not necessarily wrong but it is not what is best.Much of the time we are more attentive to the building, the program, or the visitors than we are to Jesus.

The Lord answered, Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.” The last point I want to make is that as long as we are focused on Jesus you won’t become worried, upset, afraid, or frustrated. Mary did not demonstrate any of these emotions but Martha did. It only happens when we focus on other things. Jesus does not want us to ignore the things that need to be done or deny circumstance. He just doesn’t want us to be distracted by them. When you need that peace that passes all understanding, just focus on the Prince of Peace and it will come.You see, there’s an unmeasurable amount of whatever you need to be found in Christ and all you need to do to receive it is to focus on Him. There are many good things that we can focus on, but why not choose what is BEST?

Amen brother jiggyfly. The story of Mary and Martha is one that I didn't understand until about a year ago, when the Holy Spirit showed me that Mary devoted her life to Jesus. I always thought it was more important to be "doing" things. It wasn't as if the things Martha was doing were unnecessary. How wrong can one be? Mary's worship to God was most important. Worship is one thing He asks of us. Oh just to be able to set aside the worldly, everyday things and concentrate wholly on Jesus. That's what He requires of us. :love:

The Prince of Peace

jiggyfly said:
Jesus does not want us to ignore the things that need to be done or deny circumstance. He just doesn’t want us to be distracted by them. When you need that peace that passes all understanding, just focus on the Prince of Peace and it will come.You see, there’s an unmeasurable amount of whatever you need to be found in Christ and all you need to do to receive it is to focus on Him. There are many good things that we can focus on, but why not choose what is BEST?
Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Thank you very much for this essential, lucid message and beautiful work of writing, Jiggyfly.

Thank you for that. Encouraged in the reading of it. Mary chose the better part......and what was that? Being with Jesus.

Martha was excellent too. Absolutely commendable. Just as we are on so many occasions. We, like Martha, become so engrossed, and, well, someone has to take the responsibility for these things!!

Jesus was in the lounge.

s

First, she becomes distracted by her service to Jesus and becomes frustrated that no one is helping her.

Second, she becomes a distraction, “Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?”

Third, we can see that because she failed to direct her focus back to Jesus, she became focused on herself. “Tell her to help me!”
...and then we throw a full blown self-pity party that in the spiritual realm would make the drunken carousing of our godless neighbors sound like they are singing Silent Night in comparison...what I call 'drunk with self.'

But I suppose I`m the only one who know`s anything about that. :embarasse

Jesus was in the lounge.
Sometimes the simplest little statements bless my socks off!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jaboyle100 Devotionals 0
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 1