• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Five Things to Hate

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. Proverbs 8:13

It might surprise you to learn that it’s not only kosher to hate certain things, but that, if you love God, it’s actually required.

First of all, if you fear God, you are to hate evil. No surprises there. The Bible clearly states, “You who love the Lord, hate evil” (Psalm 97:10). And in case you think hating evil is just an Old Testament concept, note that this command is repeated practically word for word in the New Testament, where Paul writes, “Hate what is evil” (Romans 12:9). You’re not to hate people, but you should definitely hate evil whenever you see it.

You are also to hate proud and arrogant attitudes, evil behavior, and evil speech. Where this goes quickly sour, however, is if you make a point of hating these things in others, first and foremost. This can cause you to have a critical and smug attitude. The big question is: Do you hate these sins when you find them lurking in your own heart? Do you ruthlessly root them out?

A psalmist prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me” (Psalm 139:23-24).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Curtis Devotionals 0
Bendito Bible Discussions 19
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0