• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Find Joy in the Lord

Staff Member
Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! Habakkuk 3:17-18

The prophet Habakkuk foresaw a day of trouble coming, and he took to prayer. How much better is it to be in prayer before trouble begins so your heart can be prepared and resolved to endure it joyfully, than to be surprised by it and grumble?

Habakkuk saw a time of drought in which the trees, vines, and crops would fail, and most of the livestock would be dead. (This was likely the drought described in Jeremiah 14:1-6.) Yet, Habakkuk said he would rejoice in the Lord. In a preemptive strike against his own soul, he was filling himself up with faith and trust in God so bitterness couldn’t creep into his heart when everything went astray.

Have you ever prayed a prayer like this? You probably aren’t directly reliant on trees, vines, crops, and livestock, but you are reliant on your employer. If the economy takes a downturn and you’re paid off, are you prepared to find you in the Lord anyway? He is well able to place you in a new position. But will you praise Him during the interim time of uncertainty?