Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Fear God?

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by KingJ, May 4, 2018.

1. Do you fear God? Should we fear God? If so, what exactly is that fear? What do we need to mindful of?

Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Note, Jesus just repeated Himself here in the underlined section.

Lev 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death. Stoned to death.

We need to read this verse over and over until it truly sinks in. There are sins that upset God such that He ordained a gruesome, graphic and painful punishment of being STONED TO DEATH for them. Do we think a murderer caught, accused and facing this punishment was not afraid? We need to grasp that God placed His stamp of approval on this fear.

Times have changed because of Jesus and the cross. But make no mistake. God does not change. Num 23:19 God is not a human being, that He should change His mind.

Surely we need to be completely aware of these sins that upset God at such a level that He ordained, being stoned to death, for. Some of them are:

1. Murder Exo 21:12-14
    2. Attacking or cursing a parent Exo 21:15-17
    3. Extreme disobedience to parents Deut 21:18-21
    4. Kidnapping Exo 21:16
    5. Witchcraft and sorcery Exo 22:18
    6. Human sacrifice Lev 20:2-5
    7. Incest Lev 18:6-18
    8. Adultery Lev 20:10
    9. Homosexual acts Lev 20:13
    10. Blasphemy Lev 24:16
    11. False prophecy Deut 18:20

There are many more to consider. I propose that if we are guilty of any of these. We judge ourselves harshly to ensure we will escape God's wrath. Example: If we murder. Get on your knees and make quadruple sure it was self defense. Or if not, repent until you have no doubt that God has forgiven you.

We cannot conduct a Mickey Mouse judgement of ourselves. Oh ''I was born this way''. That tripe will not hold water on judgement day. We have to 'make' the fear of God hit us if we are guilty of any capital crime mentioned in the OT.

Make yourself FEAR God, right now. Ensure you repent sincerely and turn from this extreme wickedness if you are guilty of any.

We must meditate on the fact that God chose ''stoning'' as the preferred option of execution. He did not choose hanging. He did not choose decapitation. He did not choose lethal injection. He chose an execution that requires a person to pick up a stone and throw it with all your strength at the sinner. We need to likewise apply ourselves to placing our sin in the same position as we would that sinner. We need to apply ourselves to see sin for what it is and deal with it, harshly! Before fearing God becomes a reality.

1 Cor 11:31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.

Phil 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

2. It pleases God to have the sinner OUT of His presence for all eternity.

Psalm 135:6 The LORD does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths.

John 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

God does not torture. He is not wicked. But make no mistake, He utterly hates sin and will banish to an eternal hell, all those who do not want to repent. The pain of this separation will cause you to weep and gnash your teeth Luke 13:28.