• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Farm Not For Sale

Loyal
We've talked about Naboth's vineyard before, but sometimes you see things differently.

1 Kin 21:1; Now it came about after these things that Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard which was in Jezreel beside the palace of Ahab king of Samaria.
1 Kin 21:2; Ahab spoke to Naboth, saying, "Give me your vineyard, that I may have it for a vegetable garden because it is close beside my house, and I will give you a better vineyard than it in its place; if you like, I will give you the price of it in money."
1 Kin 21:3; But Naboth said to Ahab, "The LORD forbid me that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers."
1 Kin 21:4; So Ahab came into his house sullen and vexed because of the word which Naboth the Jezreelite had spoken to him; for he said, "I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers." And he lay down on his bed and turned away his face and ate no food.
1 Kin 21:5; But Jezebel his wife came to him and said to him, "How is it that your spirit is so sullen that you are not eating food?"
1 Kin 21:6; So he said to her, "Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, 'Give me your vineyard for money; or else, if it pleases you, I will give you a vineyard in its place.' But he said, 'I will not give you my vineyard.'"

Many of us know the story. But maybe not the background context.
At this particular time, the land technically didn't belong to Naboth.

Lev 25:23; 'The land, moreover, shall not be sold permanently, for the land is Mine; for you are but aliens and sojourners with Me.
Lev 25:24; 'Thus for every piece of your property, you are to provide for the redemption of the land.

The land belonged to God (doesn't all land?) and Naboth realized he was just a temporary steward of the land.
Why did Ahab want "this" land. Surely there were other vineyards around. Verse 2 says "because it is close to my house". I suppose he wanted to be able to look out the window and see how the rutabagas were doing from to time.

Now Ahab doesn't just "take" the land originally. He even offer to give Naboth "a better vineyard". When that
doesn't work he says "or if you like..." "I will give you money".

But this wasn't just any field or vineyard to Naboth, it was his "inheritance" (verse 3) and not just any inheritance at that.. but an inheritance from his fathers. Perhaps if this was another field and not his inheritance, things would have been different.

So Naboth tells Ahab... "No". Sometimes we just need to say "no". God forgive that I would give away (or even sell) the inheritance from my Father.

I am reminded of the story of Jacob and Esau, were Esau sells his birthright (inheritance) for a bowl of soup. Esau is the only person in the Bible it specifically says that God hated by name.

Sometimes the enemy comes to us, and tries to get us to do things. He tries to get us to "sell the farm".
He wants nothing more than to take away our inheritance. But Naboth says "no". Sometimes we just need to say "no".

Now in this case, Ahab's wife Jezebel talks Ahab into hiring a couple or "worthless men" to smear Naboth's character. Naboth is stoned for standing up to Ahab. Sometimes standing up for our convictions will cost us something. It costs some people their lives. But even then, the answer should still be "no". The farm isn't for sale.

Active
You mean the vineyard but yea this is a huge problem in nz. I dont think people realise what they giving up when they sell their land. Money isnt everything. Where will the next generation live?

Loyal
The Naboth situation also brings up misusing the Bible for our own ends. Naboth wanted to do it right. Naboth did it right. Ahab was a selfish miserable ruler. His wife interceded to get for him what he wanted. She actually used the letter of the law to have Naboth stoned on her husband's behalf:

"One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established." Deut 19:15

This is a good example of the misuse of legalisms. According to the law Naboth was stoned... even though he was not guilty while the two witnesses against him were lying.
Has anyone today ever been falsely accused and falsely punished... but according to the letter of the law?

Active
Well people falsley accused Jesus, claiming Jesus was going to destroy the temple and raise it in three days. That was enought to crucify him...even though Pilate didnt think so. When the Jews said crucify him they answered we have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the son of God.

John 19:7

However I am not sure what specifc law of the Jews they were referring to that meant he had to die..

The chief priests were just envious. Same as Ahab was envious of Naboth becaue Naboth had something he didnt. But that something was given by God and cannot be sold...his inheritance! Jesus had the inheritance the chief priests and the scribes clearly didnt!

Jesus tells what happened using this parable of the vineyard in Matthew 20:1-16

Loyal
Well people falsley accused Jesus, claiming Jesus was going to destroy the temple and raise it in three days. That was enought to crucify him...even though Pilate didnt think so. When the Jews said crucify him they answered we have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the son of God.

John 19:7

However I am not sure what specifc law of the Jews they were referring to that meant he had to die..

The chief priests were just envious. Same as Ahab was envious of Naboth becaue Naboth had something he didnt. But that something was given by God and cannot be sold...his inheritance! Jesus had the inheritance the chief priests and the scribes clearly didnt!

Jesus tells what happened using this parable of the vineyard in Matthew 20:1-16
Even so! This is the problem with taking the strict letter of the law rather than the intent. It is God's intent that matters in the end.