• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Faith or works or both?

Loyal
Given multiple meanings of a word, it has to be taken in context.

Prov 2:5; Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God.
Prov 2:6; For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Prov 2:7; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,

Luke 1:50; "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.

In this context it could mean awe, respect and reverence.

Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Luke 12:5; "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
Luke 23:40; But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?
Php 2:12; So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

In this context, I would tend to think we should "fear (be afraid of) being cast into hell. (be afraid of) the sentence of condemnation. Trembling would seem to go more being afraid
than being in awe or respect. I don't tremble when I'm in awe of creation, in fact I appreciate the peace it gives me.

Heb 10:27; but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.
Heb 10:31; It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Meeting God will be terrifying for some people. Even those who seemingly did meet God in the Bible appeared to be terrified.

Rev 1:17; When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,

I wonder why he would say don't be afraid.. unless.. you were afraid.

Isa 6:4; And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.
Isa 6:5; Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Loyal

Prov 2:5; Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God.
Prov 2:6; For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Prov 2:7; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,

Luke 1:50; "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.

Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Luke 12:5; "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
Luke 23:40; But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?
Php 2:12; So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

In this context, I would tend to think we should "fear (be afraid of) being cast into hell. (be afraid of) the sentence of condemnation. Trembling would seem to go more being afraid
than being in awe or respect. I don't tremble when I'm in awe of creation, in fact I appreciate the peace it gives me.

Heb 10:27; but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

Meeting God will be terrifying for some people. Even those who seemingly did meet God in the Bible appeared to be terrified.

Rev 1:17; When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,

Isa 6:4; And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.
Isa 6:5; Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

that right there is just Awesome !! thanks for sharing

Active

The nonbeliever should always be afraid of God; the believer should never!!

Loyal

So true brother

Prov 2:5; Then you will discern the fear <H3374> of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God.

Luke 1:50; "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR <G5399> HIM.

Matt 10:28; "Do not fear <G5399> those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear <G5399> Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5; "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear <G5399> Him!

Luke 23:40; But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear <G5399> God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?

Php 2:12; So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear <G5401> and trembling;

H3374 (As Dave included)
Hebrew Word:
‏יִרְאָה‎
Transliteration: yirʾâ
Phonetic Pronunciation: yor-aw'
Vine's Words:
Fear (To)
English Words used in KJV:
fear 41
exceedingly + <H1419> 2
dreadful 1
fearfulness 1
[Total Count: 45]
feminine of <H3373> (yare'); fear (also used as infinitive); moral reverence :- × dreadful, × exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

G5399
Greek Word:
φοβέω
Transliteration: phobeō
Phonetic Pronunciation: fob-eh'-o
Vine's Words:
Awe, Fear, Fearful, Fearless, Reverence
fear 62
be afraid 23
be afraid of 5
reverence 1
miscellaneous translations 2
[Total Count: 93]
from <G5401> (phobos) to frighten, i.e. (passive) to be alarmed; by analogy to be in awe of, i.e. revere :- be (+ sore) afraid, fear (exceedingly), reverence.

G5401
Greek Word:
φόβος
Transliteration: phobos
Phonetic Pronunciation: fob'-os
Vine's Words: Fear, Fearful, Fearfulness, Terror
fear 41
terror 3
miscellaneous translations 3
[Total Count: 47]
to be put in fear; alarm or fright :- be afraid, + exceedingly, fear, terror.

Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.