• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Eyes on Him

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
For the king trusteth in the LORD, and through the mercy of the most High he shall not be moved. Psalm 21:7

The story of Peter flailing as he walked on the waves to Jesus is familiar, but it's interesting to think what the patriarch Joseph would've done had he been in Peter's place. Peter started out strongly but then took his eyes off Jesus (Matthew 14:30-31).

It's hard to imagine Joseph doing anything other than walking straight to Jesus. No doubt he had his down moments over the years, but his reconciling words to his brothers show his constant focus on God: "You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good…to save many people alive" (Genesis 50:20).

To be sure, Joseph's situations gave him little choice other than to trust God. It was either sink or swim, so he kept paddling. Peter demonstrated a greater fear of his circumstances than of disappointing God, and he sank. Similarly, when Pharaoh ordered the Hebrew midwives to kill any male babies, they refused, trusting God, who "dealt well" with them (Exodus 1:20).

Fearing God more than men, even when your life is at stake, results in blessing, so take the long view on God's promises. He's with you in every challenge, so keep your eyes on Him.

Prayer: God, thank You for the times You paint me into a corner, forcing me to lay hold on You or sink.