• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Eutychus

Loyal
Acts 20:7; On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.
Acts 20:8; There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together.
Acts 20:9; And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead.
Acts 20:10; But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, "Do not be troubled, for his life is in him."
Acts 20:11; When he had gone back up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left.
Acts 20:12; They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

It seems sermons in ancient times weren't 15 minutes here, or 30 minutes there.
It says here that Paul "prolonged his message until midnight". : )

I wonder how popular that would be in some churches today. We are all "busy people" after all.

It says there were "many lamps" in this upper room. Lamps in those days weren't like lamps of today.
No power cords and LED bulbs. I would imagine setting up "many lamps" was quite the ordeal and took
a considerable amount of time and effort. Things we don't think about today.. oil and wicks, did this
make smoke in the room?

There was a young man Eutychus here. When I read this story, I see myself a little.
Euthychus is sitting in a window sill. On the third floor no less. Perhaps a little risky, but that's what young men do. I myself wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box when I was a young man.

Now Euthychus is "sinking into a deep sleep" here as Paul as talking. Perhaps Paul was a little long winded,
perhaps the sermon was a little dry.. or perhaps.. Eutychus was simply tired. Whatever the reason... he fell asleep. (in the sill of the 3rd floor window)

In those days glass windows were not common. I would think the building safety codes aren't what they are today. Despite those things... Eutychus falls asleep.

I wonder are some of us like Eutychus today? Are we comfortable being half-inside, half-outside the church?
Are we so "comfortable: being where we are.... even if it is really a dangerous place, that we just fall asleep.
We've heard the words the preacher is saying many times before... but I'm comfortable, and I'm tired.

How do we get as comfortable living out in the world as we do in the church? How do we "live on the fence"
so to speak. (The Bible warns about being luke-warm). Living on the fence is a dangerous place to be, it's
easy to fall off.. Or in this case... "fall out" of the window.

I wonder... why wasn't there anyone in the church saying "get away from there". You are too close to the edge. But sometimes... we like to be on the edge. We like to see how close we can get without falling.

Now in this case, the young man actually dies... but Paul goes down and brings him back to life.
It's good that we have people in the church body looking out for us... those who help us when we stumble
or when we fall. We are supposed to bear one another's burdens. Lift one another up.
Now I believe that we can't bring anyone to life on our own. Spiritually at least. But God uses people.
Sometimes when a brother (or sister) has gotten a little too comfortable living out in the world, and maybe even "fallen sleep"... God uses us to bring those people back... "to life". Those who are spiritually dead or asleep. Sometimes our prayers, encouraging words, or just "love in action" can bring some people back to life.

Active
Acts 20:7; On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.
Acts 20:8; There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together.
Acts 20:9; And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead.
Acts 20:10; But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, "Do not be troubled, for his life is in him."
Acts 20:11; When he had gone back up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left.
Acts 20:12; They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

It seems sermons in ancient times weren't 15 minutes here, or 30 minutes there.
It says here that Paul "prolonged his message until midnight". : )

I wonder how popular that would be in some churches today. We are all "busy people" after all.

It says there were "many lamps" in this upper room. Lamps in those days weren't like lamps of today.
No power cords and LED bulbs. I would imagine setting up "many lamps" was quite the ordeal and took
a considerable amount of time and effort. Things we don't think about today.. oil and wicks, did this
make smoke in the room?

There was a young man Eutychus here. When I read this story, I see myself a little.
Euthychus is sitting in a window sill. On the third floor no less. Perhaps a little risky, but that's what young men do. I myself wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box when I was a young man.

Now Euthychus is "sinking into a deep sleep" here as Paul as talking. Perhaps Paul was a little long winded,
perhaps the sermon was a little dry.. or perhaps.. Eutychus was simply tired. Whatever the reason... he fell asleep. (in the sill of the 3rd floor window)

In those days glass windows were not common. I would think the building safety codes aren't what they are today. Despite those things... Eutychus falls asleep.

I wonder are some of us like Eutychus today? Are we comfortable being half-inside, half-outside the church?
Are we so "comfortable: being where we are.... even if it is really a dangerous place, that we just fall asleep.
We've heard the words the preacher is saying many times before... but I'm comfortable, and I'm tired.

How do we get as comfortable living out in the world as we do in the church? How do we "live on the fence"
so to speak. (The Bible warns about being luke-warm). Living on the fence is a dangerous place to be, it's
easy to fall off.. Or in this case... "fall out" of the window.

I wonder... why wasn't there anyone in the church saying "get away from there". You are too close to the edge. But sometimes... we like to be on the edge. We like to see how close we can get without falling.

Now in this case, the young man actually dies... but Paul goes down and brings him back to life.
It's good that we have people in the church body looking out for us... those who help us when we stumble
or when we fall. We are supposed to bear one another's burdens. Lift one another up.
Now I believe that we can't bring anyone to life on our own. Spiritually at least. But God uses people.
Sometimes when a brother (or sister) has gotten a little too comfortable living out in the world, and maybe even "fallen sleep"... God uses us to bring those people back... "to life". Those who are spiritually dead or asleep. Sometimes our prayers, encouraging words, or just "love in action" can bring some people back to life.
I kinda think you are jumping to conclusions when you assert that Paul raised him from the dead.
Scripture says Paul determined he was 'still' alive, after embracing him.
I would imagine that Paul would have glorified Father, and the name of Christ Jesus, if Eutychus were actually dead.
I like the gist of your post though.

Active
Was he dead or just so zonked out and dead to the world. I mean it was past midnight. I cant stay awake that long. Its funny that windows these days are covered with glass, wheras in the old days it was just a hole,in the wall so the wind could get through.

I find it weird how some church buildings dont even have windows, like they a big cave. Also what happened to stained glass windows..shouldnt church windows bring glory to God?

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been days where I'm dead tired after working all day, and going to a Wednesday night set where we're webstreaming IHOP or something, and I just pass out. Just not in a window.

Loyal
I don't know if Eutychus was dead or not, but here are some various Bible translations of Acts 20:9;

(AMPC) And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting in the window. He was borne down with deep sleep as Paul kept on talking still longer, and [finally] completely overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was picked up dead.
(AMPC+) And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting in the window. He was borne down with deep sleep as Paul kept on talking still longer, and [finally] completely overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was picked up dead.
(ASV) And there sat in the window a certain young man named Eutychus, borne down with deep sleep; and as Paul discoursed yet longer, being borne down by his sleep he fell down from the third story, and was taken up dead.
(ESV) And a young man named Eutychus, sitting at the window, sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer. And being overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead.
(ESV+) And a young man named Eutychus, sitting at the window, sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer. And being overcome by sleep, he R3fell down from the third story and was taken up dead.
(GW) A young man named Eutychus was sitting in a window. As Paul was talking on and on, Eutychus was gradually falling asleep. Finally, overcome by sleep, he fell from the third story and was dead when they picked him up.
(HCSB) and a young man named Eutychus was sitting on a window sill and sank into a deep sleep as Paul kept on speaking. When he was overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was picked up dead.
(KJV) And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.
(MKJV) And a certain young man named Eutychus was sitting on the window sill, Paul reasoning for a longer time, being overborne by sleep, he fell down from the third floor, and was taken up dead.
(MSG) A young man named Eutychus was sitting in an open window. As Paul went on and on, Eutychus fell sound asleep and toppled out the third-story window. When they picked him up, he was dead.
(NAS77) And there was a certain young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor, and was picked up dead.
(NASB) And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead.
(NIrV) A young man named Eutychus was sitting in a window. He sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. Sound asleep, Eutychus fell from the third floor. When they picked him up from the ground, he was dead.
(NIV) Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead.
(NLT) As Paul spoke on and on, a young man named Eutychus, sitting on the windowsill, became very drowsy. Finally, he fell sound asleep and dropped three stories to his death below.
(RV) And there sat in the window a certain young man named Eutychus, borne down with deep sleep; and as Paul discoursed yet longer, being borne down by his sleep he fell down from the third story, and was taken up dead.

The greek word for "dead here...

νεκρός
nekros
nek-ros'
From an apparently primary word νέκυς nekus (a corpse); dead (literally or figuratively; also as noun): - dead.
Total KJV occurrences: 132

He's dead, Jim.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Yeah. I'm convinced by what the Scriptures says that the guy was dead. Not to mention the fact that the author of Acts was a doctor.

Active
He's dead, Jim.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Yeah. I'm convinced by what the Scriptures says that the guy was dead. Not to mention the fact that the author of Acts was a doctor.
Your right.
I somehow missed the wording in verse 9.
I learn something new every day...thanks be to God.

Staff Member
Greetings,

you think he was 'bad'?

Sometimes I fall asleep while i am the one talking!!

True!

Good news is though that sleep is better than death and thanks be to God, Who has given us the Victory and death has lost it's sting.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
With him sitting on the open window and the lamps generating some smoke. Quite possible contributed to the sleep. ;)

One of the things that bothers me is the time limits that are set in churches.

Whether it's worship or sermons. Allow the Holy Spirit to dictate the time.

If one has to go, then leave. No guilt. I think God will understand.

Thanks for the topic and insight brother.

With the love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><