• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Eternal Life

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
The function of the “resurrection” is to join a spirit being with a new indestructible physical body, similar (maybe exactly) to man’s body prior to sinning. It’s also true that believers and unbelievers will both receive a resurrected body (John 5:28, 29), but not both will have “eternal life” (John 10:27, 28) in their new bodies, which is the intention of “the second death.” If eternal life means an eternal relationship with God, then the absence of an eternal relationship with God means eternal death.

So, I believe a question that may be adequate in addressing eternal life is, “when does a believer receive eternal life”? My understanding is that it is possessed at the time of rebirth, and if so, the phrase “loose eternal life” is not only an oxymoron (you can’t lose eternal life since it means life that is forever) but Scripture has no usages of such language or concept.

May God guide all who reply to this post to His truths concerning it, and God Be Blessed!

Active
The function of the “resurrection” is to join a spirit being with a new indestructible physical body, similar (maybe exactly) to man’s body prior to sinning. It’s also true that believers and unbelievers will both receive a resurrected body (John 5:28, 29), but not both will have “eternal life” (John 10:27, 28) in their new bodies, which is the intention of “the second death.” If eternal life means an eternal relationship with God, then the absence of an eternal relationship with God means eternal death.

So, I believe a question that may be adequate in addressing eternal life is, “when does a believer receive eternal life”? My understanding is that it is possessed at the time of rebirth, and if so, the phrase “loose eternal life” is not only an oxymoron (you can’t lose eternal life since it means life that is forever) but Scripture has no usages of such language or concept.

May God guide all who reply to this post to His truths concerning it, and God Be Blessed!
1John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

Active
1John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.
Hi Curt - Thanks for your input! That passage is one of my favorites to use concerning this issue.

Blessings!

Active
The sole condition on our part is receiving salvation--"through faith" (Eph 2:8), then manifesting the faith--"by works" (Jam 2:24), which needs much clarification. "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified."

The Greek for "justify" is 'dikaioō' and basically has two meanings: to render one righteous, which only God can do (Rom 8:33; Gal 2:17); to show (manifest or display) one is righteous, which is definition II at the below link.

Effecting righteousness is always attributed to God and Christ. Showing righteousness is through the believer.

Genesis Chapter 1 (KJV)

Loyal
Matt 19:16; And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?"
Matt 19:17; And He said to him, [COLOR=rgb(222, 0, 0)] "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."[/COLOR]

Active
Matt 19:16; And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?"
Matt 19:17; And He said to him, [COLOR=rgb(222, 0, 0)] "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."[/COLOR]
Gill:

"Keep the commandments; "that is, perfectly: he must do not only one good thing, but all the good things the law requires; he must not be deficient in any single action, in anyone work of the law, either as to matter, or manner of performance; everything must be done, and that just as the Lord in his law has commanded it. Our Lord answers according to the tenor of the covenant of works, under which this man was; and according to the law of God, which requires perfect obedience to it, as a righteousness, and a title to life; and in case of the least failure, curses and condemns to everlasting death; see Deuteronomy 6:25. This Christ said, in order to show, that it is impossible to enter into, or obtain eternal life by the works of the law, since no man can perfectly keep it; and to unhinge this man from off the legal foundation on which he was, that he might drop all his dependencies on doing good things, and come to him for righteousness and life."

Loyal
This Christ said, in order to show, that it is impossible to enter into, or obtain eternal life by the works of the law, since no man can perfectly keep it; and to unhinge this man from off the legal foundation on which he was, that he might drop all his dependencies on doing good things, and come to him for righteousness and life."
So in other words, Jesus doesn't want us to be moral?
What Jesus really meant was that we should kill, steal, commit adultery, and hate our neighbors??

Active
So in other words, Jesus doesn't want us to be moral?
What Jesus really meant was that we should kill, steal, commit adultery, and hate our neighbors??
Now you know that's not true! The Law was never intended to bring righteousness but judgement, requiring righteousness to be "imputed."

"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them" (Gal 3:10)

"If righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" (Gal 2:21). God wants our righteousness to be that of His Son's righteousness (Rom 3:22; 1 Cor 1:30; Phl 3:9). We would need to be sinless to produce the righteousness God requires, which is of Christ only.

Blessings!

Loyal
Now you know that's not true! The Law was never intended to bring righteousness but judgement, requiring righteousness to be "imputed."
Do you have a single scripture to back that up?
The law doesn't bring righteousness, but it does define sin. ( Rom 7:7; )
Should we go on sinning so that grace can abound? ( Rom 6:15; )

1 Jn 2:8; On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
1 Jn 2:9; The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.

1 Jn 3:3; And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
1 Jn 3:4; Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

1 Jn 3:9; No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 Jn 3:10; By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

1 Jn 3:22; and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.
1 Jn 3:23; This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
1 Jn 3:24; The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

....so this would mean, the one who doesn't keep His commandments doesn't abide in Him, and He doesn't abide in that
person.

We can't get to heaven by obeying "the law". Believing in Jesus is required.
But we can sure be kept out of heaven by disobeying it. Belief alone won't save you.

Matt 7:21; "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
Matt 7:22; "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Jas 2:19; You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.
Jas 2:20; But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?

Jas 2:24; You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Loyal
John 5:28; "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
John 5:29; and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

How we live our lives determines where we end up, not only what we say we believe.

2 Cor 5:10; For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Part of the problem is that many confuse the commandments and the law. They are not entirely the same thing.

Parts of the Law

No where in the new testament are we told to "keep the law".
But over a dozen times, we are told to "keep the commandments".

Active
Do you have a single scripture to back that up?
The law doesn't bring righteousness, but it does define sin. ( Rom 7:7; )
First I want to say I did not like the way I replied with me saying "now you know that is not true." After seeing that for the first review I wanted you to know this.

I agree the law not only defines sin, but it's purpose is to show man's condemnation due to the inability of man to keep the law according to the required divine standard that only Jesus could "fulfill."

I also think that a believer after maturing enough will begin to manifest salvation in the lifestyle, and that those who claim to have faith and do not manifest it in their lifestyles may not be saved, but only the Lord knows for sure, we can't be sure concerning others, but we can concerning ourselves.

Jas 2:24; You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Also wanted to share with you that the word "justified" in this passage does not mean "to render righteousness," as that can only be attributed to Christ. Justified here means "to show or manifest righteousness."

These are the two basic definitions for "justified." Strong's G1344 - dikaioō; James 2:24 is definition II in the Greek dictionary link below.

Genesis Chapter 1 (KJV)

Blessings!