• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Entertainment (Movies and Music)

The movies and music of this world, being worldly, are not completely pure. Some movies may be safe and not have impure content. However, some of these 'impure movies' have great stories/plots. They are entertaining.

And some of them even are centered around topics/themes that are not bad; they only have a few scenes in which the bad things arise. So do Christians watch these or not?

As for the movies that have considerable amounts of cussing in them, do we watch them, knowing that that's just the way the world runs; they have not seen the truth of Christ and so do not understand Godly ways. can we tolerate them knowing tht they are blinded?

finally, can we watch movies/shows and listen to music with confidence tht we won't be affected?

The movies and music of this world, being worldly, are not completely pure. Some movies may be safe and not have impure content. However, some of these 'impure movies' have great stories/plots. They are entertaining.

And some of them even are centered around topics/themes that are not bad; they only have a few scenes in which the bad things arise. So do Christians watch these or not?

As for the movies that have considerable amounts of cussing in them, do we watch them, knowing that that's just the way the world runs; they have not seen the truth of Christ and so do not understand Godly ways. can we tolerate them knowing tht they are blinded?

finally, can we watch movies/shows and listen to music with confidence tht we won't be affected?

Hi, oswinium. I agree that some movies have great story lines and acting, etc. but I think we should not give our attention to a movie that takes our Lord's name in vain or is obviously immoral. We know when a movie is too bad to watch. I love Al Pacino's acting but should I watch him in Scarface? I would say no. If there are just a few bad scenes and they appear to be contextual and not gratuitous, I guess that would be alright.
Blessings from our Lord Jesus!

The very word 'entertainment' should deter anyone from allowing him/herself to being made captive to that industry. 'Enter' means just that. What goes into us. 'Tainment' means its there to stay, as in containment. Satan runs the entertainment industry. Jesus has nothing to do with 'entertaining' us. All movies that are produced with the intention to tickle itching ears and eyes, without exception, are dangerous.

Obviously movies and the music that is around now, wasn't around when the bible was written. This however doesn't make much of a difference.

Onto the topic directly. Lets look at some examples.

I watched every single Harry Potter movie. I enjoyed these movies, and actually let these movies take hold of my imagination and carry it off into a fictional world for two hours at a time. When the movie ends I find myself a little sad that it had to end because it was some sort of an escape from reality. After I get over it, which takes about five minutes because I am a little dramatic, I go about my way as normal. This is example one.

Example two: Someone out there watches all of the Harry Potter movies as well. They feel the same way that I do, but instead of going about their way unchanged, they change. They start getting into witch craft, convincing themselves that it is truly real and convert to a wiccan. (Just an example, don't take it all too seriously)

Take a look at these two examples closely, and you will notice that the choices we make are what matters after we take in information. We may watch movies about wizards, vampires, and zombies...but we don't go around acting like wizards, vampires, and zombies. There are obviously people who DO do these things, but it is simply their choice to do them.

I would like to conclude with another example. Most Christians go about living their life knowing what is basically morally wrong and right. IE. No killing, no stealing, etc etc. What about the ones who read the bible and who study things very closely, but go around sacrificing and killing in the name of God?

It is very simple. When you watch a movie, ask yourself what you got from it. An example here (with me and Harry Potter): Good triumphed over evil. Love was found. People united for a just cause. It made me happy. If you're watching a movie like die hard, and want a license to blow things up and kill people, maybe it is having a negative influence on you.

:)

The very word 'entertainment' should deter anyone from allowing him/herself to being made captive to that industry. 'Enter' means just that. What goes into us. 'Tainment' means its there to stay, as in containment. Satan runs the entertainment industry. Jesus has nothing to do with 'entertaining' us. All movies that are produced with the intention to tickle itching ears and eyes, without exception, are dangerous.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "to tickle itching ears and eyes"? I understand what you are saying and will agree that not much good in the form of movies comes out of Hollywood.

Obviously movies and the music that is around now, wasn't around when the bible was written. This however doesn't make much of a difference.

Onto the topic directly. Lets look at some examples.

I watched every single Harry Potter movie. I enjoyed these movies, and actually let these movies take hold of my imagination and carry it off into a fictional world for two hours at a time. When the movie ends I find myself a little sad that it had to end because it was some sort of an escape from reality. After I get over it, which takes about five minutes because I am a little dramatic, I go about my way as normal. This is example one.

Example two: Someone out there watches all of the Harry Potter movies as well. They feel the same way that I do, but instead of going about their way unchanged, they change. They start getting into witch craft, convincing themselves that it is truly real and convert to a wiccan. (Just an example, don't take it all too seriously)

Take a look at these two examples closely, and you will notice that the choices we make are what matters after we take in information. We may watch movies about wizards, vampires, and zombies...but we don't go around acting like wizards, vampires, and zombies. There are obviously people who DO do these things, but it is simply their choice to do them.

I would like to conclude with another example. Most Christians go about living their life knowing what is basically morally wrong and right. IE. No killing, no stealing, etc etc. What about the ones who read the bible and who study things very closely, but go around sacrificing and killing in the name of God?

It is very simple. When you watch a movie, ask yourself what you got from it. An example here (with me and Harry Potter): Good triumphed over evil. Love was found. People united for a just cause. It made me happy. If you're watching a movie like die hard, and want a license to blow things up and kill people, maybe it is having a negative influence on you.

:)

I don't agree about Harry Potter, even if the story line or whatever may make one feel good or entertains. I haven't seen the movies nor do I intend to, because it appears that the author, J.K. Rowland supports witchcraft and is negatively influencing a lot of impressionable children. Satan comes as an angel of light, not as the ugly monster that he is. That would frighten the children and wouldn't sell tickets. Just my 2 cents worth. Not meaning to judge you because you like the movies, and I'm glad you aren't one of those that takes it all to heart and wants to go out and practice some "white magic" or whatnot.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "to tickle itching ears and eyes"? I understand what you are saying and will agree that not much good in the form of movies comes out of Hollywood.
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Movie theatres are also classrooms. Television and picture producers are the most popular and effective teachers in character development in history. To claim one is untouched by violence or immorality is naive. While I concede that there are some excellent movies with some exceedingly good moral lessons, in general they are very few and far between. And even those ones rarely exalt God or give Him glory, but rather are humanistic and give man the glory and promote the idea that man can be his own saviour.To place oneself in a position to get yourself through life without God is antichrist in nature.
The entertainment industry is 99% to blame for Christians not reading the Bible. Even pastors today have taken upon themselves the role of entertainers.Tens of thousands of Christians today pack mega churches the world over because they enjoy the messages from pastors who no longer teach from the scriptures, but teach philosophy. Doctrine is avoided because doctrine divides. Truth divides. People don't want to know the truth that leads to salvation because it is too challenging....

2 Tim 2:10....because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Movies today are filled with violence, occult,witchcraft, blasphemy, sex, crime, and sin. In finding pleasure in these things you are partaking and condoning the same practice.

Isa 33:14 Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? (In other words, who among us will live through the final fire that destroys the wicked)
15 He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;
16 He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure.

Movies today are filled with violence, occult,witchcraft, blasphemy, sex, crime, and sin. In finding pleasure in these things you are partaking and condoning the same practice.

I agree and I pray that the Lord will lead me away from such enticements of the world as I try to conform to His image and not the world's. Thanks for your response!

I have been careful what I watch and listen to for many years, once your eyes see something it remembers what it sees and I don’t want to have any images that are unpleasant in my mind. Same with music; I am careful what I listen to as I believe it affects you what goes in.

Did Jesus entertain himself? He attended a wedding but do you really think that his mind was about going and entertaining himself at someone else's special event? Whether you eat or whether you drink or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God. How do I glorify God by watching movies? Some might say that they watch christian movies and learn things. I reply that is what scripture, teachers and your spiritual father are for. How do I glorify God watching football? Or any pro sport? The word teaches that God gives things to man to profit without. My time, talents and abilities were given to me to do things for others yet football players are exercising themselves to receive carnal glory and honors for themselves. Should I partake in their sin? Do I glorify God by being out playing 18 holes of golf while there is a spiritual war going on all around me with many casualties?

Remember Moses Heb11:24-25.

Why would Paul say this if he spent his time entertaining himself? 1Cor15:19

I try to think of it this way. Since Jesus was the perfect human, if everyone were like he is, what would be done away with in this present world? I have spent a fair amount of time meditating on this question.

Have an awesome spirit filled day

Gary

Last edited: