• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Endurance Through Wise Counsel

Staff Member
And Jehoash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD all his days, because Jehoiada the priest instructed him. 2 Kings 12:2 ESV

The history of the kings of Judah is not a pretty picture for the most part. One king after another either goes after his own desires and aspirations or makes needed reforms without following through in some of the most important areas of religious worship. Jehoash was wise to lean heavily on Jehoiada the priest. After all, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

Seeking a mentor or the counsel of wise friends and leaders may run against the grain of today’s culture, which is full of seemingly bootstrapping, self-made men. Who wants to lean on someone else in order to succeed when you can get all the credit on your own?

As it turns out, one of the most highly revered and godly kings in the history of Israel and Judah endured where so many else had failed because he had the right person guiding his decisions. Community and mutual support are essential for the spiritual life. You will need someone who can offer wise counsel in a trying time or help you avoid common mistakes. This will help you live a long life of faithfulness to God and service to others.

Prayer: Lord, as I celebrate my mothers’ influence today, may I also have caring guides in my spiritual life who can help my faith endure.