• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Encourage Spiritual Curiosity

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides me?" And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. Acts 8:30-31

Philip could have come up with a number of reasons to let the Ethiopian man pass by without talking with him. Perhaps he feared being viewed as intrusive. Philip adopted a humble approach that anyone can use when spiritual discussions come up:

"Do you understand what you're reading?" is a helpful question because it puts the focus on the other person. He invited the man to be inquisitive and then responded to his invitation to join him.

The stakes of appearing awkward or asking an unwanted question are quite small in the grand scheme of things. However, many Christians avoid discussions about spiritual matters and the Gospel because they don't want to be seen as disruptive.

What's the solution? Allow others to ask questions and to share what puzzles them. You then provide a chance to discuss your faith in a nonthreatening manner. There may be awkward moments, but humbly sharing in others' curiosity can provide a starting point in spiritual conversations.

Prayer: Lord, help me to encourage curiosity and conversations about what matters the most.