• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Embracing the Golden Rule Anew

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12

Almost everyone knows the Golden Rule, and knows that Jesus said it, but many aren’t quite sure how to live it out.

Four centuries ago the KJV translated the Golden Rule this way: “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.” That wording, of course, might be a little hard to explain to family and friends.

One of the contemporary English Bibles doe a great job of expressing the Golden Rule this way: “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. Do to others as you would like them to do to you.” (Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 NLT).

Of course, Jesus isn’t talking about paying for an extra coffee drink at Starbucks. That’s nice, but not nice enough. Remember, Jesus is talking about the kingdom. If you are a citizen of God’s kingdom, what is the most loving thing you can do for others?

The most loving thing you can do is to invite others to consider Jesus Christ’s Good News. After all, in the past someone shared the Gospel with you. Now would be a great time to pay it forward in love.

Prayer: Lord, I want to embrace the Golden Rule anew. Transform my heart. Then help me talk about the love of Jesus with someone this weekend.