• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Dying for New Life

I'm going to share my testimony, which I have shared with very few people. Only my best friend, her youth leader, and a few camp counselors have heard. I haven't really "prepared" a sugar-coated, eloquent, "proper" testimony, I'm just gonna come right out and say it.

Two of the things I have struggled with in the past few years are eating disorders and suicide. All of my life, I have struggled with self-esteem issues. I have never had many friends. I had one friend, my BEST friend, named Rebecca. In second grade, she left my school, and I began to realize what people said about me. I had been teased since kindergarten, but when you have a friend, you don't really care much. I began calling myself "stupid" and "worthless," even though I was only eight years old.

I apparently never got over that worthless feeling, because in seventh grade I developed an eating disorder. I recovered from it in eighth grade, so it didn't last long. But it was just another way for me to gain acceptance, even though it pushed people away from me. Nobody was worried about what I was doing to my body, people just continued to make fun of me for it.

Once I recovered from the eating disorder, I fell into a state of depression. I began to write poems about people at school, and even people in my youth group. The poems were basically about the feeling that nobody cares, and basically that no one would even care if I died. I think maybe in ninth or tenth grade, I began considering suicide. Through it all, I wrote depressing poems. I remember one saying that nothing would change if I died, and another begging someone to kill me because I wasn't brave enough to do it myself. I told my best friend that I was considering suicide. It hurt a little that she didn't even try to get real help from a hotline or counseling center or anything, she tried to help me herself. She is a good friend, and she is helping, but it takes time.

I wish I could say that I have been completely healed from all struggles with suicide and self-esteem, but I haven't. But I know my true friends are praying for me, and they always encourage me with scripture, and just by telling me how much they love me - that really makes a difference. I am trying so hard to see myself as God sees me, and not worry about what the world may say.

God reserves the right to do whatever He sees fit with our lives...and what struggles He chooses for us, is rarely what we would choose for ourselves...and they certainly are not what other would approve of...others would shame us and criticize us for being so weak and foolish...but it is not what others think we are worth that matters...

You have self worth because your testimony is your story of your worth to God. In your struggle to be loved, all the time true love has been holding you...and will always hold you...your struggles are Gods gift to you ..I am persuaded that it is broken vessels that bring God the most glory...not because of who we are, but because a broken life in Gods hands, becomes living proof of what He can do...Keep your eyes on Him Sister, and dont be ashamed of the scars on your heart...they only show that God has surely been working on you.

God bless you my Sister

Last edited:
I grew up listening to my dad tell me on a regular basis how worthless I was. How I was nothing. I would never be anything. He told me I would never amount to anything. The only way I would be anything is if I got married...to a rich man.

If I ever showed signs of talents or gifts, he would tell me I had no talent. Anything I had was only because someone else showed me how to do it. My opinion, my thoughts meant nothing. Always complaining about how much it cost him financially to keep me, to feed me, to clothe me. The price to send me to school.

That was just the verbal abuse.

I went through life believing I couldn't do anything. Why bother trying, when I wasn't going to succeed. For years I didn't like myself. Truly figured I was just wasting the air I was breathing.

Then I met Jesus. And I discovered I am a somebody. I am important. I am worth something. I do indeed have God given talents. Discovered that my gifts could and would be used by Him. And I actually discovered I like myself.

He has given me new strength. He has blessed me with HIS confidence to move forward in using my gifts. He has lifted me up and encouraged me with His knowledge that I am loved. He has also helped me to accept me for myself and recognize that should any changes need to take place, then it is Him and Him alone that will gently transform me into His image.

This is a common problem. In my case I was a scrawny little kid. I got picked on and tormented all the way through school (until I was High School). It leaves a real scar but we bring those scars to the feet on the One who bore our pain.

Thank you for sharing Sister.

I pray you continue to die daily till you see the portrait of the son of God Jesus Christ. That is our fathers will for us.

1Co 15:31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

People disappoint and hurt, but thank God, we have a God who is always loyal and true and who looks at our hearts.

I grew up listening to my dad...

If I ever showed signs of talents or gifts, he would tell me I had no talent. Anything I had was only because someone else showed me how to do it. My opinion, my thoughts meant nothing. Always complaining about how much it cost him financially to keep me, to feed me, to clothe me. The price to send me to school.

... awww Melech... (((((((((((hugsssssss)))))...

all those things I ignored it as I grew thinking not of anything but to finish schooling... :shade:

i used every bit as an inspiration to go upward and would someday show them my worth....and praise God I was found by the Lord to go even up higher, more than on what I can think and imagine... I won them all in my nothingness... (lol) through God's abundant grace... Amen

but anyway, our God is really an amazing God. Amen

I am trying so hard to see myself as God sees me, and not worry about what the world may say.

that's very true. in my eleven years of walking now with the Lord it was only this year??? i was able to see God's unconditional love totally.... Keep surrounded by friends having such love.. hope so every one could really radiate towards one another the Love of God He had poured out in our hearts.

praise the Lord for all He had done. Amen

God bless us all always

In Christ,

Reymielin

Last edited:
... awww Melech... (((((((((((hugsssssss)))))...

all those things I ignored it as I grew thinking not of anything but to finish schooling... :shade:

i used every bit as an inspiration to go upward and would someday show them my worth....and praise God I was found by the Lord to go even up higher, more than on what I can think and imagine... I won them all in my nothingness... (lol) through God's abundant grace... Amen

but anyway, our God is really an amazing God. Amen

Thanks everyone for sharing here. It really blessed me to read one's testimonies...

God bless us all always

In Christ,

Reymielin

I did go to school Rey...I went to (and am still attending) the school of life.

Amen. God has found me worthy. God has proven me worthy. By His grace He has used me to minister to this family I have. They do not walk with Jesus, but it is His peace they see in me. It is His wisdom they search out; His council they seek. It is His provision they stand in awe of. It is His knowledge they accept. It is His joy they respond to. Because of Him, I have been lifted up.

I used to be the black sheep of the family...now, I am the white sheep.

Praise God...in Him we are all somebody...washed in the blood of the Lamb, we are all worthy.