• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Dumpster Dive Methodolgy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Context is everything. Since all scripture is divinely inspired and is “God-breathed,” that means that God Himself is the author of all of it. Every word in it is HIS word which He spoke through the forty different men whom He chose to be His amanuenses — His scribes if you will. It was these men who wrote, but it was God’s words that they wrote.
This is why one verse or portion of scripture cannot contradict any other portion of scripture. No one verse of scripture should ever be taken out of context and an entire doctrine built upon it; because if one verse is pulled away from the context of the entire passage, or the book in which it is located, or the dispensation to which it belongs — or if the group of people it’s addressing is confused or misapplied, then the entire meaning of the verse and/or passage becomes confused, and the meaning of the entire book or passage is misapplied. Once an error of that sort has occurred, then one has moved from sound doctrine into heresy and false teaching.
That’s how serious it is when we approach scripture with a “dumpster dive” methodology, and why it is so dangerous to build an entire doctrine around one verse or group of verses that are pulled out of proper context.
We must learn to approach and understand scripture in light of the whole counsel of God (that is in light of the entirety of what the Word of God teaches) — both Testaments, and in the proper dispensation of God’s timelines of history. When approached in this manner, all seeming contradictions disappear.

Active
A good write!
When discerning a verse and it's implication you must consider it in the context of the entire Bible and where else the idea is being used....like you said, God can not contradict himself. I often don't discern the meaning of a verse the fist time I read it but I have found one thing for sure, the ultimate outcome will be good and positive, otherwise you are going in the wrong direction.

Active
Amen.
Paul exhorted Timothy to rightly divide the word of God. People so often wrest scripture to their own destruction.

2 Peter 3:16 also mentions this...

Loyal
"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." John 10:4-5

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0
NetChaplain Sermons & Podcasts 0
S Water Cooler 0