• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Don’t say, ‘I’m of no use to God,’ or ‘I’m not needed in the church,’

Loyal
‘We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.’ Romans 12:6
Don’t say, ‘I’m of no use to God,’ or ‘I’m not needed in the church,’ or ‘There’s no way God could use me.’ You are gifted by God! You are called to use your gift to bless others, build up the church, and display His kingdom to a watching world. ‘Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised’ (1 Peter 4:10-11). Every Christian is a minister, and has a ministry. The ministry of the church is to be carried out as individual believers exercise their spiritual gifts in ministering to one another. And to the extent that you don’t exercise your spiritual gift, you hinder the ministry of your church. And since the Holy Spirit decides which particular gift each of us receives, there’s no place for jealousy and competitiveness. Paul writes: ‘For who makes you different from anyone else? [obviously, the answer is God!] What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?’ (1 Corinthians 4:7). Each of us is gifted differently, and each of us is gifted perfectly. The Holy Spirit in His divine wisdom has given to each of us the precise gift, or gifts that will enable us to function most effectively in the body of Christ. So start using your gift today! ~BG

Loyal
God does gift us, I was just speaking to a lady at work, when moved by the Holy Spirit to tell her that she has talents she doesnt even know about, and that one day she will learn them and be encouraged by being able to do what she was truly called by God to do. She works doing mostly menial thankless tasks that are only appreciated when she is not there doing them. She is one of the millions, perhaps billions of people who work till exhausted everyday, in pain, and trying to keep her spirits up.

But... I have been to many churchs that dont want anyones gifts at work at their church. Many nice, gospel preaching churchs, that have a core of people who are "trusted" to do certain work, regardless of their ablility in that area. When new people come to the church, and want to be a part of those at the church using their gifts for good works are told instead what they will be allowed to do. More or less, humble yourselves and do what we want you to do, no matter how meaningless it may seem. The church needs cleaned regularly, the roads we clean need workers to do so, sing in the choir perhaps, watch other peoples childrens during worship service. All things needing done for sure, but not only do they not fit the gifts of most people, they dont even try and find out what those gifts might be in those new people. The attitude is to spend years in service doing humble tasks where you will be watched and evaluated and perhaps we can eventually find something for you to do more trustworthy. They dont evaluate people according to their spiritual gifts. They dont ask if you know your spiritual gifts or how to find them if you dont know them, and perhaps until they are known, to work in the more humble tasks until they are determined. Most churchs work out of a hierarchy of whoever puts the most money into the church coffers or draw the most of the "right" people to church are given the positions of value. Another venue of gaining positions in church is having influencial family or friends in that church. Not all, but most churchs are truly broken when it comes to utilizing the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They think a gift of the Holy Spirit is doing whatever they find you to do, and to do it well and without complaint.

Loyal
Yes. But a wise leader will always choose character over gifts - even spiritual gifts.

I get fidgety in a church situation where I feel I'm not able to make a contribution - restless when I'm just a consumer.

It depends a little on how we think of church. If we have an idea of church as an organisation, our functional role feels very important.

But the Bible more often talks about us as a family. I belong to my natural family not due to my gifts or contribution, and the things I do don't make me more or less a part of my family.

Should be the same with church. The most valuable thing we bring is ourselves, not our usefulness.

Loyal
Matthew 23:11
The greatest among you shall be your servant.

Remember it is a privilege to be part of the body of Christ, God does not need you.

1 Peter 4:10
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace:

Mark 9:35
And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.

Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

Luke 22:27
For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.

the more you put other people in-front of your-self the more valuable you will be. Some only want to be served and take.. are they more valuable then the one who serves and gives?

you only get one chance at life, are you fully in Love with God, wanting to please him in everything you do? do you serve other people even when you dont want to?

Loyal
God does gift us,was just speaking to a lady at work, when moved by the Holy Spirit to tell her that she has talents she doesnt even know about, and that one day she will learn them and be encouraged by being able to do what she was truly called by God to do. She works doing mostly menial thankless tasks that are only appreciated when she is not there doing them. She is one of the millions, perhaps billions of people who work till exhausted everyday, in pain, and trying to keep her spirits up.

But... I have been to many churchs that dont want anyones gifts at work at their church. Many nice, gospel preaching churchs, that have a core of people who are "trusted" to do certain work, regardless of their ablility in that area. When new people come to the church, and want to be a part of those at the church using their gifts for good works are told instead what they will be allowed to do. More or less, humble yourselves and do what we want you to do, no matter how meaningless it may seem. The church needs cleaned regularly, the roads we clean need workers to do so, sing in the choir perhaps, watch other peoples childrens during worship service. All things needing done for sure, but not only do they not fit the gifts of most people, they dont even try and find out what those gifts might be in those new people. The attitude is to spend years in service doing humble tasks where you will be watched and evaluated and perhaps we can eventually find something for you to do more trustworthy. They dont evaluate people according to their spiritual gifts. They dont ask if you know your spiritual gifts or how to find them if you dont know them, and perhaps until they are known, to work in the more humble tasks until they are determined. Most churchs work out of a hierarchy of whoever puts the most money into the church coffers or draw the most of the "right" people to church are given the positions of value. Another venue of gaining positions in church is having influencial family or friends in that church. Not all, but most churchs are truly broken when it comes to utilizing the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They think a gift of the Holy Spirit is doing whatever they find you to do, and to do it well and without complaint.
I agree with most of this and reminds me of all these mega churches that in-list people to do things just to do them with no real value, I expereinced this when I was a greeter at the door at a mega church, but starting some whear is better then starting no whear, A person has to grow and search for his gifts this is a personal responsibility and takes time IMO. And remeber the church is not just the building we attend church, so you may go attend church and not actually being serving at that time, you may be serving the church the body of believers outside the church walls.

Loyal
Yes. But a wise leader will always choose character over gifts - even spiritual gifts.

I get fidgety in a church situation where I feel I'm not able to make a contribution - restless when I'm just a consumer.

It depends a little on how we think of church. If we have an idea of church as an organisation, our functional role feels very important.

But the Bible more often talks about us as a family. I belong to my natural family not due to my gifts or contribution, and the things I do don't make me more or less a part of my family.

Should be the same with church. The most valuable thing we bring is ourselves, not our usefulness.
Does your church even try to find peoples spiritual gifts and utilize them?

Loyal
Does your church even try to find peoples spiritual gifts and utilize them?
Absolutely. Very intentional about discipleship, raising leaders, exercising gifts. It's a congregation of 100 or so, so there's plenty of need/opportunity for everyone to play their part.

Loyal
Absolutely. Very intentional about discipleship, raising leaders, exercising gifts. It's a congregation of 100 or so, so there's plenty of need/opportunity for everyone to play their part.
So what is your "spiritual" gift?

Loyal
I not going to answer that directly. Cant see what good would come of it. But where I have gifts and abilities, I'm satisfied they are being put to use.

Loyal
I not going to answer that directly. Cant see what good would come of it. But where I have gifts and abilities, I'm satisfied they are being put to use.
I asked because there is natural gifts we have which are still God given, an affinity for something. There is spiritual gifts which are specifically for the building up of the church. Both can be used for building up the church, but... one is natural and one supernatural. Do you have specifically the spiritual gifts of some type? You dont need to brag about what you have, if thats your reason for not speaking on it. Just a yes, I have one or more of the spiritual gifts listed in scripture (if you have one!-many christian dont know what it might be). I know of several christians who dont know what their spiritual gift is, I always tell them to pray that God would reveal it to them. And God is faithful and loves to give good gifts to His children.

Loyal
I'm assuming we're in 1 Corinthians 12 here?

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

I often speak in different tongues; I've sometimes been given a message of wisdom, and of prophecy.

I'll try to restate what I meant earlier in this thread. I'm not disagreeing with anything anyone else has said, just something else to note.

Some of us are not able to make a contribution to the church by our gifts - I'm thinking of people with profound learning disabilities, babes in arms, more serious mental health problems, people disabled by a stroke, frailty from old age etc.

Are these people any less a part of the church or less valuable in the family because they are not as useful as a 35 year old with a healthy body and a brilliant mind? Absolutely not!

In God's economy, like a family, everybody is of equal - infinite - value.

Loyal
Thats great. And even those with profound learning disabilities, if spirit filled, has some gift given by God who "always" gives His children good gifts, whether they see it as such or not. There are ones not listed in scripture, I have one, not allowed to speak on it, but my point is that God's power is made perfect in our weakness. And most mentally disabled people that I have known typically have a "greater faith", the true faith of a child. Thats a great gift, its just that people in churchs dont see it as such and dont know how to utilize it.