• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

DOES YOUR CHURCH WANT THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Active

I ask because not all churches do. I don’t know how other churches are run but in the C of E it is the Parochial Church Council (PCC) who makes the decisions concerning the running of the church and when necessary appointing new clergy. If there are a majority of traditional, nominal Christians on the PCC the church could become stagnant as they don’t like change and want things done as they have always been done.

After I became born again the vicar of the church I joined encouraged me to put my name forward for election to the PCC as he wanted there to be a majority of Spirit filled believers making the decisions, which we did. Many of the traditionalists weren’t too happy about the changes that were brought about such as mid week bible study groups in parishioners homes, a praise and worship service once a month instead of the usual evensong and also to incorporate a time of prayer for healing during services to name a couple of examples.

Our lovely vicar encouraged us to read books that would encourage us and build us up, books like ‘When The Spirit Comes’ and he took us to hear powerful preachers. And things really started to take off.

The other side of the coin, so to speak, was a church I heard of which had been lively and full of the Spirit until the vicar had to leave. Sadly the nominal Christians on the PCC were in the majority and decided that they didn’t want any more of ‘that Holy Spirit stuff’ so made sure they chose as their new vicar a man with similar thoughts. And guess what? That church stopped thriving and stopped growing.

That should serve as a warning to all of us who are Spirit filled to not shy away from serving our church communities in leadership or supportive roles. And we should never expect or encourage one person to make all the decisions. Let God back into his Church.

Loyal
I have mentioned this before on the site and in other venues. The biggest fault of the body of Christ is how they have gotten away from utilizing the Holy Spirit as it was intended. Its why many will believe a lie, because they dont use the Holy Spirit to fact check things. And the gifts of the Holy Spirit are ignored in most churchs.

Loyal
It is much the same in the US. It's "mostly" a denominational thing, but not always.

The Pentecostal churches (i.e. Assembly of God, Foursquare, Church of God, Vineyard, Hillsong, etc...) tend to be more Holy Spirit oriented. A lot of emphasis is on the gifts and fruit of the Spirit.
Less emphasis is on the "offices of the Spirit". ( 1Cor 12:28-29; Eph 4:11; ) this is also called the fivefold ministry.

The non-Pentecostal denominations tend to shy away from these things. (i.e. Anglican/Episcopal (CoE), Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc...)
But having said that, I have seen some traditionally "non-Pentecostal" churches practice divine healing, tongues and prophecy. So it's not always "set in stone" so to speak.
I've even seen one RCC church that was charismatic. (At least it said Catholic church on the sign outside) But it didn't seem very Catholic at all. Most refused to call the priest
"priest" or "father" but simply teacher or pastor.

I know this statement will cause some controversy... but here we go. I have noticed that most (not all) of the non Pentecostal churches tend to accept the practices of the current society fairly readily.

For example the CoE, Anglican/Episcopalian, United Methodists, and Lutheran ELCA churches have all accepted LGBT standards, perform gay marriage, and even have gay clergy.
Some are even considering accepting transgenderized clergy and performing "non-binary" wedding ceremonies. (I hear some have already done this under the covers, so to speak)

Active
Hello @Pearl.

I praise God that it is Christ who is the Head of the Church which is His Body, and that it is He Who by invisible joints and bands nourishes it, and causes it to increase.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Loyal
Since the Holy Spirit indwells each born again believer -- and they Do go to a church somewhere -- the Holy Spirit Will be in that church -- so is there any reason To feel the need To 'invite' the Holy Spirit into a church?

The body of believers in a church Should be getting taught All of Scripture by the pastor. The 'whole counsel of God'. Some church groups put their focus on only certain aspects Of Scripture.

Maybe there Are some spiritually dead churches.

What exactly is meant by a church Wanting the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Loyal
What exactly is meant by a church Wanting the presence of the Holy Spirit.
There are people who are married to each other. But they don't necessarily want to be in the presence of each other.

Some churches openly admit (as in the OP) they "don't want all this Holy Spirit stuff" as @PearlB put it.

And some churches (such as those who allow open sinful lifestyles like homosexiuality, adultery, fornication, transgenderism, etc..) probably don't have to worry about it.

Since the Holy Spirit indwells each born again believer
Pentecostals would say there is a difference between the indwelling and Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
But if there isn't a difference, then no one receives the Holy Spirit at the same of initial belief, because no one in the Bible did.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit ALWAYS happens at some period after you have believed for a while.

Loyal
sad:eyes:, I thank GOD, He has taught me how to read my Bible. From 1977, My prayers LORD, you teach me your ways and How to read my Bible, and may your blessed Spirit guide me into your Righteousness, and not my own. For i do not trust mankind.. I remember in that year 1977 I told the Pastor, of the church my Mother attended , I don't trust nobody, and I am not going to trust a preacher or pastor. and I don't trust you. He said: "Brother B_____." you got to trust somebody, I replied, I going trust GOD, and I think that should be enough. He said, "Lord have mercy," "a Spiritual man", He lit up like a "Christmas Tree" his countenance was so bright, and he said: "you go boy, you go"! and He smiled. And told me that I will be alright, but stay away from that woman, she will take your power. I did not know what that meant, until much reading my "Bible" and observing this world and Its history. Then I understood.

Really, but sad, does YOUR church want the presence of the Holy Spirit. I know GOD does not lie, neither the wild beast, that wonders the land, but Humans do.

Acts 17:24
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples [ or modern day churches] made by human hands"
NASB 1977
“However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by humanhands; as the prophet says:

'And i will say this, "In the The name of The LORD": There is only one "Temple of GOD" and only One, all others Temples are "Idols"! No matter what, you claim them to be!'

English Standard Version (2 Corinthians 6:16)
"What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God has said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

For we who are "The People of GOD" whether "Black, White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink, Purple, or Green. For IN "Isaac" shaLL THY SEED BE ESTABLISH. That Seed is JESUS not many but ONE. That TRUE ISRAEL is Jesus. a people of Many nations gathered Into one body in Christ! SEALED by The "Holy Spirit" of GOD! "A mystery to many" , "an understanding too Few." The People of GOD that is "revealed" only to them. A Special people of GOD, " STRANGE" a stumbling block to others AND Peculiar too many, They are odd. They walk a certain way, the movement of their hands, arms, and they way they hold their heads and the way they use words portrays them, "for you talk like Him , for sure you are one of those
"Nazarenes".:eyes:
And everywhere you go the "Spirit of GOD" goes with you. For it is in YOU, forever and ever and ever more. For when you enter a building the Spirit of God enters that Building and when You walk out, It walks out too! He will never leave you, But it will leave a building.:eyes: But you, your GOD, cannot lie! Their god can, but yours, never. For this is Our GOD, and we are known of HIM. and we are HIS People, Created before the Foundations of The World. Predestinated to be created into The Image of His Only begotten SON and to be Glorified to share in a "Inheritance" that will be Manifested at The Coronation Table"!

PS
As a kid i used to look up at the sky and ask GOD why did you make this world and what is it all about, because it has to be more than this.

He did answer my question, He Revealed it, in "Jesus Christ" about this creation that is passing away, perishing, everything in it. As a scroll rolling away.:)

Active
The other side of the coin, so to speak, was a church I heard of which had been lively and full of the Spirit until the vicar had to leave. Sadly the nominal Christians on the PCC were in the majority and decided that they didn’t want any more of ‘that Holy Spirit stuff’ so made sure they chose as their new vicar a man with similar thoughts. And guess what? That church stopped thriving and stopped growing
There is a reason that God commands us to come out of Babylon just like he called Abram our from Ur.
Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;" - Rev 18:4

We are to leave the spiritually bereft churches of tradition and seek out the body of Christ which is alive. Churches that have these signs following and teach sound doctrine. Pentecostal churches that have the power of God working in believer's lives and uphold the giving of all nine gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The Revival Fellowship | There's a place in God's Kingdom for you.

Active
I know this statement will cause some controversy... but here we go. I have noticed that most (not all) of the non Pentecostal churches tend to accept the practices of the current society fairly readily.
For example the CoE, Anglican/Episcopalian, United Methodists, and Lutheran ELCA churches have all accepted LGBT standards, perform gay marriage, and even have gay clergy.
Some are even considering accepting transgenderized clergy and performing "non-binary" wedding ceremonies. (I hear some have already done this under the covers, so to speak)
I believe this tragedy is because these churches are so spiritually empty - no miracles and healings, no signs and wonders from God - that in order to save their declining memberships and relevance that they have embraced social and political action.
They do not believe the word of God nor the truth of scripture because doctrinally they are severely compromised - all theology: forever learning but never coming to the knowledge of truth.
Again we are commanded that from such turn away.

Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have committed immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth have grown rich from the power of her luxurious living.”
18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;
18:5 for her sins are heaped high as heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities.

Loyal
Please dont continue speaking on and on about the sad shape of the church. This is bride of Christ you are speaking of. Show some respect to Jesus if nothing else. Or do something about it versus trash talking about it.

Active
There is a reason that God commands us to come out of Babylon just like he called Abram our from Ur.
Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;" - Rev 18:4

We are to leave the spiritually bereft churches of tradition and seek out the body of Christ which is alive. Churches that have these signs following and teach sound doctrine. Pentecostal churches that have the power of God working in believer's lives and uphold the giving of all nine gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The Revival Fellowship | There's a place in God's Kingdom for you.
I t was this verse that guided me to leave the Anglican church, even though its vicar was doing his utmost to promote the need of the Spirit.
Jeremiah 6:16
This is what the Lord says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Please dont continue speaking on and on about the sad shape of the church. This is bride of Christ you are speaking of. Show some respect to Jesus if nothing else. Or do something about it versus trash talking about it.
2 Chr 7:14 is the issue.

Loyal
I suspect, like the people in Matt 7:21-23; and the five foolish virgins, and the goats, and five of the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3, many churches aren't nearly so "engaged" with Jesus as they think they are.
I would say these churches are the ones showing disrespect to Jesus.

God used Jonah to call out Nineveh, God used Samuel to call out Saul, God used Jonathan to call out David, Paul said to remove the wicked from among you. I believe God is OK with us calling them out.
It's my opinion, the reason some churches are in the mess they're in, is because no one stood up for Biblical standards.

Active
Top Poster Of Month

I ask because not all churches do. I don’t know how other churches are run but in the C of E it is the Parochial Church Council (PCC) who makes the decisions concerning the running of the church and when necessary appointing new clergy. If there are a majority of traditional, nominal Christians on the PCC the church could become stagnant as they don’t like change and want things done as they have always been done.

After I became born again the vicar of the church I joined encouraged me to put my name forward for election to the PCC as he wanted there to be a majority of Spirit filled believers making the decisions, which we did. Many of the traditionalists weren’t too happy about the changes that were brought about such as mid week bible study groups in parishioners homes, a praise and worship service once a month instead of the usual evensong and also to incorporate a time of prayer for healing during services to name a couple of examples.

Our lovely vicar encouraged us to read books that would encourage us and build us up, books like ‘When The Spirit Comes’ and he took us to hear powerful preachers. And things really started to take off.

The other side of the coin, so to speak, was a church I heard of which had been lively and full of the Spirit until the vicar had to leave. Sadly the nominal Christians on the PCC were in the majority and decided that they didn’t want any more of ‘that Holy Spirit stuff’ so made sure they chose as their new vicar a man with similar thoughts. And guess what? That church stopped thriving and stopped growing.

That should serve as a warning to all of us who are Spirit filled to not shy away from serving our church communities in leadership or supportive roles. And we should never expect or encourage one person to make all the decisions. Let God back into his Church.
Pearl,

The Holy Spirit indwells all born again believers. Any assembly of born again believers has the Holy Spirit indwelling the assembly. Any assembly that is not made up of born again believers, the Holy Spirit will not be with that assembly. Perhaps that is why the assembly you mentioned failed to thrive after a certain vicar left.

Going to a building, listening to a person that calls themselves a priest or vicar, and saying you are part of the "church" does not make one a born again believer with the indwelling Holy Spirit. Only those that are born again and put their faith, trust, and rest in the Lord Jesus Christ have the indwelling Holy Spirit, and each of us that are born again are able to lead other born again believers in worship.

Blessings.

Loyal
I suspect, like the people in Matt 7:21-23; and the five foolish virgins, and the goats, and five of the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3, many churches aren't nearly so "engaged" with Jesus as they think they are.
I would say these churches are the ones showing disrespect to Jesus.

God used Jonah to call out Nineveh, God used Samuel to call out Saul, God used Jonathan to call out David, Paul said to remove the wicked from among you. I believe God is OK with us calling them out.
It's my opinion, the reason some churches are in the mess they're in, is because no one stood up for Biblical standards.
My point is to either go to an actual church that is backsliden and preach to them, or to make your point here and move on. This is not a backsliden church here. And if it is, then preach to yourself.

Active
Thank God for the latter rain of the Holy Spirit and the rebirth of the Pentecostal churches coming out of the earlier divine healing movement of the 1880s >>
I have a wonderful biography on the apostle of God for our times - Smith Wigglesworth - as well as some of his own books on the work of the Holy Spirit.

Loyal
I believe this tragedy is because these churches are so spiritually empty - no miracles and healings, no signs and wonders from God - that in order to save their declining memberships and relevance that they have embraced social and political action.
They do not believe the word of God nor the truth of scripture because doctrinally they are severely compromised - all theology: forever learning but never coming to the knowledge of truth.
Again we are commanded that from such turn away.

Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, and the kings of the earth have committed immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth have grown rich from the power of her luxurious living.”
18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;
18:5 for her sins are heaped high as heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities.
"A little leaven, leavens the whole lump", "Come out from among them" Pandemic! Quarantine yourself. into 2 or 3's. :eyes:

Loyal
Thank God for the latter rain of the Holy Spirit and the rebirth of the Pentecostal churches coming out of the earlier divine healing movement of the 1880s >>
I have a wonderful biography on the apostle of God for our times - Smith Wigglesworth - as well as some of his own books on the work of the Holy Spirit.

It Almost sounds like you believe the Pentecostal churches are the only one's who 'have it right'.

Some of us Baptists feel the same way about Our beliefs.

Active
Pearl,

The Holy Spirit indwells all born again believers. Any assembly of born again believers has the Holy Spirit indwelling the assembly. Any assembly that is not made up of born again believers, the Holy Spirit will not be with that assembly. Perhaps that is why the assembly you mentioned failed to thrive after a certain vicar left.

Going to a building, listening to a person that calls themselves a priest or vicar, and saying you are part of the "church" does not make one a born again believer with the indwelling Holy Spirit. Only those that are born again and put their faith, trust, and rest in the Lord Jesus Christ have the indwelling Holy Spirit, and each of us that are born again are able to lead other born again believers in worship.

Blessings.
Ah yes, but in my experience, especially in the traditional denominations, there is a mix of born again believers and mere church-goers. And not all clergy are born again. I was blessed in having a born again Spirit filled vicar at the start of my Christian life but the people who weren't born again held the fellowship back. The vicar and his wife and a small group of us who were born again used to meet in the vicar's house for real Spirit led praise and prayer. But it was sad the the rest of the congregation could see what our vicar was preaching each week.

Loyal

The first question brother is, what is a church, what is the Church, not what has become to be called a church.

The Church, is the Body of Christ, born again from above believers world wide, regardless of age, sex, cour or tongue.

The Church has become to be called..

1 - the building, this is incorrect, the word for a building being called a church was by introduction by the RCC, they used the word 'kuriakon' for church, this word is not anywhere in scripture.

2 - many pastors, using a name that suits their denomination, will say the congregation is the church, using the word ekklesia. They are using the word for Church, which is scriptural correct, but are not using correct themselves. The congregation is not the ekklesia, no, no, only the born again from above are the Church, he ekklesia, the body of Christ. If a soul is not born again from above, it isnot washed and regenerated, they still have the devil as their father.

I recently shared a short sermon message with a brother, it wasn't intended to say how one should be part again,that would be another message. It was a factual message, nothing held back, you must be born again. My dear brother who is born again, and goes to an active place of worship said to me; if that was, preached at the church I go to 50% would walk out! I had oy one comment, 'What if Jesus omes tonight?'

John the Baptists approach was hard to swallow for many, he held nothing back, he knew time is short, today it is even shorter.

Shared in peace and love.