• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Does the Bible say anything about Russia in relation to the end times?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member
I was listening to a sermon / interview with David Jeremiah today and heard something interesting about the end times and Russia in the book of Ezekiel. So I did a little researching an found the info I needed. I think it's a worthy discussion, in general about the end times with all that's happening before our eyes.

With Russia back in the news in a big way, many people are wondering if recent events in eastern Europe have anything to do with end-times prophecy—and, if so, how? Much of the discussion has to do with an ancient prophecy from Ezekiel: “The word of the Lord came to me: ‘Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him and say: “This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshek and Tubal”’” (Ezekiel 38:1–3). The identities of “Gog,” “Magog,” “Meshek,” and “Tubal” are the key to fully understanding the prophecy.

Gog is a person. Whoever Gog is, he is from the land of Magog and is the leader of Tubal and Meshek (some translations add “Rosh” to the list) and a confederacy of other nations: Persia, Cush, Put, Gomer, and Beth Togarmah (Ezekiel 38:5–6). And, whoever he is, he will have plans to “attack a peaceful and unsuspecting people,” viz., Israel (verses 11, 14, and 18). But, regardless of Gog’s plans, the Lord God is against him and will defeat him soundly (Ezekiel 38:4, 19–23; 39:3–5).

Magog is a land “in the far north,” from Israel’s point of view (Ezekiel 38:15; 39:2). Most Bible commentators interpret “Magog” as Russia—and, indeed, Russia is straight north of Israel, all the way up to the Arctic Circle. According to this view, “Rosh” is a reference to Russia, “Meshek” is either Moscow or the people north of the Black Sea (the area of southern Russia and Ukraine), and “Tubal,” which is always listed with Meshek in Scripture, is identified as a city in Siberia or an area in central Turkey.

Others see “Magog” as a general term used in Ezekiel’s day to identify barbarians living near the Black and Caspian Seas. Regardless of the exact locations of Magog, Tubal, and Meshek, there is no doubt that the general area includes portions of Russia and the former Soviet Union, and possibly some Arab countries.

So, yes, the Bible does mention Russia, although not by that name, in connection with the end times. Ezekiel 38—39 definitely refer to a nation coming from northern Asia to attack Israel. After the Cold War, Russia lost its superpower status, making the fulfillment of Ezekiel’s prophecy seem unlikely in some people’s eyes. However, recent events have shown that Russia is gaining strength, and many believe that the invasion of Crimea is just a first step in Russia’s plan to restore its dominance in that hemisphere. It is also interesting to note that, in the Soviet era, Moscow was solidly aligned with several Muslim countries in opposition to Israel. Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russia has continued to make overtures to the Muslim world.

According to the Bible, there will come a time when Russia, in alliance with several other countries, will amass a huge army against Israel, with a view to plunder the Jews’ land. The nations aligned with Russia for this military endeavor are Persia (modern-day Iran), Put (modern-day Sudan), Cush (modern-day Libya), Gomer (part of modern-day Turkey), and Beth Togarmah (another portion of modern-day Turkey or possibly Syria). Most of these nations are currently militant Islamic states with an express hatred of Israel. Ezekiel says that, when the aggressors move against Israel, a few other nations (“Sheba and Dedan and the merchants of Tarshish”) will remonstrate, as will “all her villages”—possibly colonies (Ezekiel 38:13). Sheba and Dedan are associated with areas of northern Africa. Tarshish could be a reference to Spain (which colonized much of South America), Britain (which colonized the United States), or somewhere in eastern Africa. The objections to Magog’s aggression will fall on deaf ears, however, and the invasion will continue.

Some commentators believe this war is one of the events leading up to beginning of the tribulation. Others believe it will occur close to the midpoint of the tribulation, since Israel will be “dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates” (Ezekiel 38:11)—in other words, Israel will feel secure at that time, possibly because of the covenant they have signed with the Antichrist (Daniel 9:27). Either way, this battle is distinct from the Battle of Armageddon, which occurs at the end of the tribulation.

God promises to destroy Gog’s army: “I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him” (Ezekiel 38:22). The bodies of the fallen army of Magog will be buried, but it will take over seven months to complete the macabre task (Ezekiel 39:12, 14). This supernatural judgment will have the effect of preserving Israel and turning many hearts to God: “And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord” (Ezekiel 38:23). Many will be saved during the tribulation (Revelation 7), and the fulfillment of Ezekiel 38—39 will be one means by which God will bring people to a knowledge of Himself.

There is much we do not know for certain about Ezekiel’s prophecy, including the timing of these events. However, it is clear that Russia will be involved and will in fact lead an end-times league of nations to seize Israel’s land. The prophet Ezekiel comforts Israel in much the same way as Moses had centuries ago: “The LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory” (Deuteronomy 20:4).

Loyal
Gog and Magog

You will get varied interpretations from theologians as to who this represents, but what is mainly agreed upon is that this represents a king or kingdom and his hordes (allies). The Lord Jesus keeps showing me the U.S. government and their allies over and over again. The scripture says that God will bring this “king” (or some say the beast) against “the mountains of Israel.” Now, many commentators take this to literally mean the nation of Israel, but there are problems with that interpretation. It is clear from reading Isaiah and the whole of Ezekiel, which parallel with Revelation in sections, that the people against whom God is sending this “Gog” are first of all God’s people, so they have to be believers in Jesus Christ. So, some say this is the nation of Israel regenerated through faith in Jesus Christ during the time of tribulation, but that also does not fit, because these passages in Isaiah and in Ezekiel speak of judgment against God’s people for their rebellion, their idolatry, spiritual adultery, refusal to repent, and their unfaithfulness to God Almighty. So, this has to be speaking of the idolatrous and spiritually adulterous church of the last days.

So, the phrase “mountains of Israel” is figurative, not literal (As obstacles: see Zech. 4:7; Is. 40:4; and as “high places” they can symbolize idolatry: see Ezekiel 6:1-7).

Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying: “Son of man, set your face toward the mountains of Israel, and prophesy against them, and say, ‘O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord God! Thus says the Lord God to the mountains, to the hills, to the ravines, and to the valleys: “Indeed I, even I, will bring a sword against you, and I will destroy your high places. Then your altars shall be desolate, your incense altars shall be broken, and I will cast down your slain men before your idols. And I will lay the corpses of the children of Israel before their idols, and I will scatter your bones all around your altars. In all your dwelling places the cities shall be laid waste, and the high places shall be desolate, so that your altars may be laid waste and made desolate, your idols may be broken and made to cease, your incense altars may be cut down, and your works may be abolished. The slain shall fall in your midst, and you shall know that I am the Lord. ~ Ezekiel 6:1-7 (NKJV)

Gog will devise a scheme to come against a land (representing God’s people) of unwalled villages. This is my belief: A city (or land) representing God’s people today is not a physical land or city but a spiritual one, i.e. this is speaking of the church. Who is the beast against during the time of tribulation? – the saints of God; followers of Jesus Christ. Who does God warn of judgment prior to the prophecies of judgment in Isaiah, Ezekiel and Revelation? The people warned to repent of their ways or to face judgment are God’s covenant people. In the last days that is the church, not the nation of Israel. I believe the context of these prophecies in Ezekiel, where they are related to the last days, supports this belief that Gog is coming and will come against God’s chosen people, the church, i.e. the idolatrous, spiritually adulterous, rebellious, unrepentant and unfaithful people of God in these final days before Jesus returns for his bride.

I also believe the reason the people are living in peace and safety and may be unsuspecting is because those of the church who are complacent, lukewarm, rebellious, idolatrous, unfaithful and spiritually adulterous don’t think anything like this will ever happen to them. They are not watching, listening and paying attention to what is going on around them, and they too easily believe everything that the government feeds them. They easily believe not only the lies of their government leaders but also the lies of their church leaders who are teaching them philosophies of men over the word of God, and are teaching them a diluted gospel in place of the true gospel of Jesus Christ (Luke 9:23-25; Eph. 4:17-24), because they don’t want to offend anyone or have people not want to come back to their “churches.”

Yet, when Gog attacks God’s people, God will then come against Gog (the beast). This is speaking of the time of tribulation prior to Jesus’ return for his bride. Then, we will see the kinds of judgments on the earth as are spoken of in Revelation. The wrath of God will come against those who came against his people – believers in Jesus Christ.

So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel, and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. Surely it is coming, and it shall be done,” says the Lord God. “This is the day of which I have spoken. ~ Ez. 39:7-8 (NKJV)

The whole purpose of God’s judgments against his people is that they would turn from their wicked ways, forsake their idols, repent of their sins of unfaithfulness, and that they would love, honor and worship God as their one and only God. And, that is the reason he will use the beast to come against his people in these last days. So much of the church is living in idolatry and spiritual adultery and are following the ways of men more than they are the ways of God. So, God will send “Gog” against his people – the church – in order to bring them back to God and renewed faith in Jesus Christ so that they can be a mighty army going forth in spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to the nations, so that the people of all nations will flock to Jesus Christ, to the church, to the gospel and to salvation.

Run With It: Surely It is Coming!

Russia is presently moving forces and equipment and an anti-ballistic missile system into Syria.

Loyal
I believe Armageddon is a physical place. You can physically go there, it's on many maps.
If we jump to Rev 16:12; it says the Euphrates will be dried up so that the "kings of the east"
(some Bibles says "armies of the east") will have a way prepared for them.
A way to where? For what?

The next 3 verses talk about the beast (false prophet and three unclean spirits like frogs) gathering up
all the armies of the world for a great war.

The place they are gathered together is called (in Hebrew) Har-Magedon.
So who is on the "east side" of the Euphrates? Part of Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, are immediately to the east.
If we go far enough to the east, this would include India and China. (the two most populous countries in the world).

If the armies "of the whole earth" are the same ones mentioned in Rev 14:19-20; the blood will be up to a horses bridle
(around 5 feet, or 2.75 meters) for a distance of 200 miles. That is a lot of blood. Very unlikely this is a only a spiritual battle.

........... Now of course all of this happens before the millennial reign. And there is no mention of Gog or Magog.
There are many historical maps that show Russia and and Mongolia as Gog and Magog. Some of these are from before the
fourth century. As other's here have mentioned Gog and Magog are mentioned in Ezek 38:2; and 39:6; . But even there, they are physical
places. (In Gen 10:2; and 1 Chron 1:5; we see someone named Magog was a son of Japheth).

But after all of these, there is the millennial reign. Some think this will be a time of peace on the earth, I personally do not.
I think this is the time when Jesus rules the earth with "a rod of iron". ( Psa 2:9; Rev 2:27; Rev 12:5; Rev 19:15; )
And even after this 1,000 year of Jesus, there will be rebellion. (We always have free choice with God).

Finally we get to Rev 20:7-10; when Satan is released from the pit where he has been for 1,000 years.
He deceives the "nations" (the people of the earth) to gather them together for war (again... this isn't armageddon).
It says the number of his army will be "like the sands of the seashore". That's a big army.
Of course this army will also be defeated. (it doesn't even sound like it will be much of a battle).

Some keys things in this passage, they come up "on the broad plains of the earth", and "surround" the camp of the saints.
These are physical descriptions of physical places. The beloved city (thought by most to be Jerusalem). is also
surrounded. (The New Jerusalem hasn't come down from heaven yet). And when Satan and his army are defeated, they will be
thrown into the lake of fire ( Rev 20:10; ) ... where the beast and false prophet are also.
The language here seems to indicate the beast and the false prophet were thrown into the lake of fire sometime before
the millennial reign.

Where do I get this from. Well of course Rev 20:10 above... but also... Rev 19:19; says the beast will assemble the armies of the earth
to make war against Him who sits on the white horse (Jesus). (The king of kings and Lord of Lords)
In the very next verse (Rev 19:20; ) the beast and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire.
Chapter 19 ends, and we continue on to Rev 20. Rev 20:13; are where Satan becomes imprisoned for 1,000 years.
As we see, this is AFTER the beast and false prophet are already thrown into the lake of fire.

And of course, 1,000 years after this... Satan is released and raises up another army for another battle.
One battle is with the beast and "the armies of the earth" against the King of Kings on the white horse before
the millennial reign.
The other battle is is with Satan and an army "like the sands of the sea" after the millennial reign.

Russia is presently moving forces and equipment and an anti-ballistic missile system into Syria.
While it is true that current events are interesting and Russia is doing things these days, this is not what Ezekiel is addressing, as Sue J Love has already mentioned. In fact, the Bible is written in parable form, as we learn from the Bible's own statements, as in Psalm 78:1-2, and Mark 4:34, for example: "Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable", and "But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples." Many denominations are unaware of this, and think that the Bible is to be interpreted as a surface text. If that were true, sheep would only mean sheep, instead of being a picture in the Bible of true believers, to use just one of zillions of examples of how the Bible is not a surface text.

The book of Ezekiel is addressing the falling away from the true gospel of the churches of the church age, and Ezekiel (a picture of Christ and true believers) is sent to tell them to go the right way, if they will listen, though they are a rebellious house. Gog and Magog are pictures of how the spiritual forces of darkness come against the congregations of the church age and destroy the hearing of the true gospel in the congregations. It is very common to have people read the Bible as if it is a word by word surface account of political manuevering. However, this is a reverse and incorrect way to use parables. Parables start with a concrete-sounding surface word, but the intent is a spiritual one that is not the surface word. For example, thorns are not actual thorns, but are instead "the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in". These things are not blackberry thorns in your backyard garden! In short, they are spiritual things, not physical. In just this way, the Bible can talk about Rosh or Persia or Egypt or any country, even Israel, and these are not pointing to the political nations of today. Rather, they have spiritual meanings. Israel, for example is pointing to those in Christ from all over the globe. The battle being addressed in Ezekiel is a battle for spiritual control of the congregations of the church age, not political countries on maps. Eventually, the congregations of the church age are invaded so much by the spirit of unbelief and deceit that the gospel is not heard there any longer. At that point, true believers are told to come out and to flee to Christ alone, spiritually speaking. Do not follow others or groups, only Christ.

I believe Armageddon is a physical place. You can physically go there, it's on many maps.
If we jump to Rev 16:12; it says the Euphrates will be dried up so that the "kings of the east"
(some Bibles says "armies of the east") will have a way prepared for them.
A way to where? For what?

The next 3 verses talk about the beast (false prophet and three unclean spirits like frogs) gathering up
all the armies of the world for a great war.

The place they are gathered together is called (in Hebrew) Har-Magedon.
So who is on the "east side" of the Euphrates? Part of Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, are immediately to the east.
If we go far enough to the east, this would include India and China. (the two most populous countries in the world).

If the armies "of the whole earth" are the same ones mentioned in Rev 14:19-20; the blood will be up to a horses bridle
(around 5 feet, or 2.75 meters) for a distance of 200 miles. That is a lot of blood. Very unlikely this is a only a spiritual battle.

........... Now of course all of this happens before the millennial reign. And there is no mention of Gog or Magog.
There are many historical maps that show Russia and and Mongolia as Gog and Magog. Some of these are from before the
fourth century. As other's here have mentioned Gog and Magog are mentioned in Ezek 38:2; and 39:6; . But even there, they are physical
places. (In Gen 10:2; and 1 Chron 1:5; we see someone named Magog was a son of Japheth).

But after all of these, there is the millennial reign. Some think this will be a time of peace on the earth, I personally do not.
I think this is the time when Jesus rules the earth with "a rod of iron". ( Psa 2:9; Rev 2:27; Rev 12:5; Rev 19:15; )
And even after this 1,000 year of Jesus, there will be rebellion. (We always have free choice with God).

Finally we get to Rev 20:7-10; when Satan is released from the pit where he has been for 1,000 years.
He deceives the "nations" (the people of the earth) to gather them together for war (again... this isn't armageddon).
It says the number of his army will be "like the sands of the seashore". That's a big army.
Of course this army will also be defeated. (it doesn't even sound like it will be much of a battle).

Some keys things in this passage, they come up "on the broad plains of the earth", and "surround" the camp of the saints.
These are physical descriptions of physical places. The beloved city (thought by most to be Jerusalem). is also
surrounded. (The New Jerusalem hasn't come down from heaven yet). And when Satan and his army are defeated, they will be
thrown into the lake of fire ( Rev 20:10; ) ... where the beast and false prophet are also.
The language here seems to indicate the beast and the false prophet were thrown into the lake of fire sometime before
the millennial reign.

Where do I get this from. Well of course Rev 20:10 above... but also... Rev 19:19; says the beast will assemble the armies of the earth
to make war against Him who sits on the white horse (Jesus). (The king of kings and Lord of Lords)
In the very next verse (Rev 19:20; ) the beast and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire.
Chapter 19 ends, and we continue on to Rev 20. Rev 20:13; are where Satan becomes imprisoned for 1,000 years.
As we see, this is AFTER the beast and false prophet are already thrown into the lake of fire.

And of course, 1,000 years after this... Satan is released and raises up another army for another battle.
One battle is with the beast and "the armies of the earth" against the King of Kings on the white horse before
the millennial reign.
The other battle is is with Satan and an army "like the sands of the sea" after the millennial reign.
The river of the gospel is what is meant by the river Euphrates. The gospel is dried up in the congregations of the church age as the time of tribulation comes, meaning the people in the congregations cannot hear the gospel unto salvation anymore. This prepares the way of the people of the east, meaning those in Christ have a way in Christ prepared for them at that time. They are to flee to Christ alone in their hearts and minds, spiritually. You see, east is Christ's direction. This people of the east are the people in Christ, the true believers. They are not China or eastern political countries in a current events or political fashion. The Bible is written in parable form (Psalm 78:1-2, Mark 4:34).