• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Does reading the NIV of the bible have any difference to reading the KJV in your opinion ?

would really like to read the KJV as much as i can to not miss anything but i am having a hard time. What do you guys think ? does the NIV seem to have any significant differences ?

Active
would really like to read the KJV as much as i can to not miss anything but i am having a hard time. What do you guys think ? does the NIV seem to have any significant differences ?
We need to remember that a paraphrase is what the author thinks the Bible says, not necessarily what the Bible says. The NIV more a paraphrase than a literal translation. I'm all for translations that are as close to the autographs as we can get. Paraphrases take too much liberty with words and phrases that are found nowhere in the manuscripts.

The KJV is not perfect, and the KJV translators advocated the revising of the Bible when the weight of manuscript evidence warranted revision.

I like my NAS and my KJV, and have a NLT that I hardly read because it is a paraphrase.

Blessings

Active
Not really. The main difference is that they come from different manuscripts. The NIV comes from what is know as the Alexandrian manuscripts. The KJV comes from the Byzantine manuscripts. Many believe that the Alexandrian manuscripts are more accurate because they are older. However, I'm not of that camp. I hold the Alexandrian texts as suspect because Alexandria was a hotbed of Gnosticism. The Gnostics were famous for altering the Biblical texts. There are passages in the Byzantine texts that aren't in the Alexandrian. Many claim that because these passages aren't in the older Alexandrian texts that they were likely added to the Byzantine and not original. The ending of Mark chapter 16 is such an example. However, when we look at the early Christian writings we often find that these passages that are quoted by or alluded to by early writers showing that they in fact did exist and weren't some later addition.

Active
If you lean on the Holy Spirit to teach you, as He promised He would, then the version you use makes no difference...He CAN and wants to teach you.

Not really. The main difference is that they come from different manuscripts. The NIV comes from what is know as the Alexandrian manuscripts. The KJV comes from the Byzantine manuscripts. Many believe that the Alexandrian manuscripts are more accurate because they are older. However, I'm not of that camp. I hold the Alexandrian texts as suspect because Alexandria was a hotbed of Gnosticism. The Gnostics were famous for altering the Biblical texts. There are passages in the Byzantine texts that aren't in the Alexandrian. Many claim that because these passages aren't in the older Alexandrian texts that they were likely added to the Byzantine and not original. The ending of Mark chapter 16 is such an example. However, when we look at the early Christian writings we often find that these passages that are quoted by or alluded to by early writers showing that they in fact did exist and weren't some later addition.
thats what im afraid of. i was never one to open a bible but now i want to experience it as much and to the fullest i can. i started by reading kjv but to be honest i was left with more questions, i just could not understand it very well.

Loyal
The NIV is an excellent translation. All translators have to strike a balance between accessibility and faithfulness to the original structure of the Hebrew and Greek text. The NIV is a dynamic paraphrase, which translates 'thought for thought' rather than 'word for word'.

It's very well suited to personal Bible study, devotional reading, and reading in church. You might find its weaknesses reveal themselves at detailed academic seminary-level study.

And don't worry too much about the differences in the manuscripts. Most modern translations including the NIV have footnotes pointing out variations in the text. And no doctrine hangs on any of the variations.

With Admon Mikha'el I'd say that the guidance of the Holy Spirit is primary, but the choice of translation does make some difference - you don't want to spend all your energy on unpicking archaic English idioms. If you are open to God speaking to you, he will speak.

Loyal

Greeting littledavid,

Thank you for your question and honesty my friend. I see you are 21, I wish I was in some ways, I notice you are not yet saved, you are not yet born again from above, so you have a NIV Bible and a search heart yes? Wonderful God loves a search heart.

Let us consider the options, first we acknowledge there is only one Bible, but there are a lot of translations, the trouble with translation is exactly that they are translations and some words in Greek and Hebrew do not have an English word that fits exactly to what is said, so you get variances in option of the translations.

To explain in everyday terms Bible translation tend to fall into two categories, those that expound The Word and more accurate to the meaning and others which are called, easy to read and understand, they are fluffed up, generalised, there are many of these.

You have mentioned two translations littledavid, the KJV and the NIV, as you have mentioned these two I would like to add a third, but in keeping with what you have considered.

The KJV does have errors, but they are few, but the true KJV is full of thee's and thou's and the old English you may find harder to understand, so I would suggest you also consider the NKJV, New King James Version, which is like the original without the thee's and thou's.

I would suggest you have either the KJV or the NKJV and the NIV, read both it will broaden your understanding. I have 26 Bible translations, some on here have more, but you don't need that many, two is good to have.

When you read your Bible translation or translations, get used to praying first, ask God to reveal the Truth in The Word to you by the Power of His Holy Spirit, then read or study, and afterwards give thanks and spend a quiet time to reflect, allow the Holy Spirit to minister God's Grace to you.

If you have any questions at all, no matter how small or silly you think the question may be, please ask, there are lots of God's children on here, who would be only to happy to help you.

May the good Lord Bless you my friend

Jesus is Lord

Peace be with you

Active
thats what im afraid of. i was never one to open a bible but now i want to experience it as much and to the fullest i can. i started by reading kjv but to be honest i was left with more questions, i just could not understand it very well.
Hi littledavid,

As long as you're not reading a paraphrased Bible you should get the overall meaning of the Bible. If you like the KJV but find it difficult I'd suggest the New King James version. It follows the KJV but uses more modern English. I think the KJV does a better job with the word soul than most translations but the New King James version is very readable.

Active
@littledavid
That is a discussion that has been going on for a long time here at T.J. .

No matter what anyone says, you and the Holy Spirit have to be the judge.

You can get a good comparison Bible or research the difference between the NIV and KJV for yourself.

Over the years, I have NO MAJOR conflicts between any of the major translations...with all, the Gospel is the Gospel.

I have referenced most of the major translations; I like the RSV, NLT, KJV, NKJV and the MESSAGE .

I guess I have no favorites but mostly use the NLT and RSV.

As long as you are saved and have the Holy Spirit working with you, go with what version you mostly like!

Active
Hi David, reading the Bible in whatever version is a fantastic thing. It's an absolutely amazing book, given that it was written in various stages between 2000 and 5000 years ago. As you read it and get to know it, what strikes you is the consistency of the message and how it unfolds from creation to eternity, with insights into the mind and the character of the great, majestic, all powerful God, not to mention details of the fall of man and his amazing salvation. There are not many books that can do that.

Which version's best? I firmly believe that the Bible is written by God, through His Holy Spirit working in the contributors, almost telling them what to write; many times they didn't understand themselves what they were writing, particularly so with prophecies of the future that only subsequently became clear as they came true.

Similarly, I believe that the translations are divinely inspired. I always view with deep suspicion anybody that tells me that that verse when translated has a totally different meaning. I'm wondering how it is that this guy is more fluent in Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew than all the committees of learned scholars that were involved with the translations throughout the ages?

I'd advise you to flip between the NIV, NKJV, KJV and GNB and see which one you prefer. For difficult passages try the Amplified Bible.

One tool that I've found invaluable is an app called YouVersion. It's the Bible on your smartphone and tablet. Install the app and you've got the KJV but if you go into the settings you can download 20-30 other versions including all of the above. It's totally FOC and there's loads of other stuff like reading plans, verse of the day etc.

Another invaluable tool is the Holy Spirit (I'm sure He'll forgive me for calling Him that). Pray, asking God to lead you and help you to understand the passage.

Happy reading and may God bless you in it.

Loyal
The closer word for word Translation of The "Original Copied Manuscript" Is The ASV. or the NASV. Top Dog for serious study, but a hard read. There is no other Translation that comes closer as a "word for word". Translation. Period. Every serious Bible student should know this with in Their 1st.of His or her's Conversion. by year 2, have read a KJV reliable Study Bible with documented word changes, preferable, Oxford Edition. completely and A Reliable "NIV" study bible (example). : aThompson Chain Reference Bible and ASV Study Bible and if possible a RSV Harper Study Bible. These Bibles from front to back within two years and at all cost and avoid all "Paraphrases".! Take it or leave

PS. I am not a dime store cowboy concerning which versions to read and to study. I spent some time in seminary investigating "why so many Version"! I know which verses have been added to some and why others was left out, Because i have study the persons who added and the councils who left out the verses, and not by a clip of the internet. I study this stuff before we had public internet. I did hard core, studying, Hours upon hours, of ground work. Bible translations, and paraphrases and Hybrids is nothing today but a way of the pagan world to make money , Selling Jesus, and no wonder Christian Publishers, Book stores, are almost non-existing in our day. is likely "Jesus" Has Turn the Tables of the money exchangers over. Translations and Paraphrases is nothing more than a ornament on the shelf in people homes. Thank God For Comparable side by side translations on the Internet. The Lexicons are Poor though. The Englishmen Greek concordance is not applicable or The Englishman Hebrew Concordance, and Vines New Testament words are not appropriate all 4 or 5 comes up short in Internet presentations. But we still have The KJV, Study and Reference Bibles with word changes and The ASV for preciseness and the NIV which is very reliable and easy to read and still keep the flavor and beauty and STYLE, of the "Tyndale" creative english language. and it is not a "Paraphrase" it is a Translation.

PS.
And i prefer The "KJV" Oxford edition instead of The Cambridge Edition. i just love the English Language of "William Tyndale" his creative words of the English Speaking Bible is the beauty of The KJV language that many believe today. The Beauty of The KJV language is by the Hand Of "William Tyndale".

Loyal
Take your time, learn about the Bible your are reading. It takes maybe a Month of a couple of weeks read, for you to get familiar with the makings of the KJV if that is the Book of your choice, It is worth it. some of those high lighted blue clips. Click.

PS. That is called Bible Study too, you know! LOL, Your church did not tell you that! To study how the Bible came to be in your own Language! The most Important BOOK in YOUR LIFE!:eyes: Read it. Try not to get lazy, like most christians do, skip words, skip over paragraphs, Skip here, skip over there, then when you ask them did you read that and did your read that :eyes: You know what they say, right. and then they grow horns! Red Ones!

Last edited:
Loyal
PS. And i prefer The "KJV" Oxford edition instead of The Cambridge Edition. i just love the English Language of "William Tyndale" his creative words of the English Speaking Bible is the beauty of The KJV language that many believe today. The Beauty of The KJV language is by the Hand Of "William Tyndale"

I agree 100% particularly your comments on William Tyndale brother

Bless you

Active

I was given a KJV for my tenth birthday because I had to have one for school but I couldn't understand it then and a still can't. When I was newly born again our church used the Good News translation which was so much easier but now I prefer either the NIV or the New Living Translation. We wouldn't read books in that old English language so I'm happy with the modern translations. None of them are perfect but what's the point in sticking with a translation that you struggle with.

Active
Here is one of several exhibits found on the web showing which translation is what:

Search: bible translations, then go to images
This is nice, thank you!

Haven't done it yet but, if you were to compare ALL these Bibles, I'll bet that the "Basic Gospel " doesn't change one bit!
I would venture to say, Jesus is still Lord and He is the only way to the Father !

Loyal
I'd grown up with KJV and many years later was around an NIV. It was Much easier reading. And then a pastor introduced the NKJV -- it's much easier reading than the KJV.

But comparing the NIV with the KJV. I'd probably gravitate to NIV and NKJ. And I'm referring to the older NIV -- the new one isn't worth anything.

Loyal
I'd grown up with KJV and many years later was around an NIV. It was Much easier reading. And then a pastor introduced the NKJV -- it's much easier reading than the KJV.

But comparing the NIV with the KJV. I'd probably gravitate to NIV and NKJ. And I'm referring to the older NIV -- the new one isn't worth anything.

Those are the three I always start with Sue, for the same reasons you state.

My first was the KJV; the NKJV is much easier to read, it doesn't have the Shakespearian style of writing, no thee's and thou's of the old English.

Loyal
@Brother-Paul -- yes, those thee's and thou's of the old English -- and some of the other old English words that no one uses or knows what they mean these days.

And I Also know those who won't change From it cause they Love it.

That was the language used back Then when it was printed. We now have it up-dated and much more reader-friendly. :)