• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Does it really matter what bible you read?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Hi I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this topic.
If we truly have the Holy Spirit and we pray before reading our Bible for God to show us the truth, isn't it the Holy Spirit who teaches us? So if a Bible has been altered in some way it shouldn't matter right?
I have been reading the ESV but I just picked up a 1611 KJV.
It seems so many act like you are not saved if you aren't reading the"right" version.

I look around my room a seen about 10 bibles and different books about the bibles, and I use them all when I study a subject. When starting out as a new christian, I suggest the easiest to read translation and as you mature start reading the KJV , and the Greek translation.

Loyal
If we truly have the Holy Spirit and we pray before reading our Bible for God to show us the truth, isn't it the Holy Spirit who teaches us? So if a Bible has been altered in some way it shouldn't matter right?
It seems so many act like you are not saved if you aren't reading the"right" version.
Yep. Bible version snobbery doesn't help anybody.

The Bible is a very complex collection of books, written in ancient cultures over a vast stretch of time in languages that are no longer in everday use. Bible translators have to make broad decisions whether to prioritise accessibility or accuracy. Some lean towards making the word of God accessible (a noble aim); others make a priority of accuracy, at the expense of making the reader work a little harder. The ESV translators, I think, were accuracy guys.

Active
Hi Jelly, Two points, 1) Think about a jigsaw puzzle, if you lose a few pieces, when you finally finish the puzzle, even though some pieces are missing you can still see the picture. So if the odd mistake is made, it is hard to hide the truth. 2) God is omni present, Omniscient and Omnipotent. Do we believe that he would allow man to interfere with the message reaching his people? I think not. The truth is in all bibles, some have changed certain passages, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, but even they, are not intelligent enough to change a bible so that it hides the truth. If someone had only a JW bible and their names were in the book of life, the Lord would speak to then through that bible. Find the one that suits you best, and the Lord will speak to you through it. Bless you

I have been studying ancient Hebrew through the Bible Institute of Israel and it's so important to my faith walk to always research the most original scriptures as possible. The NIV, the message etc have their value in some ways, but I'd never study and base a sermon on them. I always go the the KJV and Greek and Hebrew. There are so many things believers don't know or understand due to their lack of knowledge of the original words. Example, Jesus said LOOK the field are white into harvest etc. LOOK actually means to GO AND SEARCH AND DISCOVER. Also, in our walk in the Holy Spirit the Rhema word must always be CONFIRMED by the Logos, any thought that does not is not from The Holy Spirit, 'taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ',
Blessings