• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Does A Man Tempt Himself?

Active
@Dovegiven,

@Dovegiven,
Just so I give a clear understanding about what I mean when I say Eve didn't "desire," i used the definition of "delight" in describing Eve's interest in the tree.

G2530 (desire)
חמד
[châmad] \khaw-mad'\
A primitive root; to delight in: - {beauty} greatly {beloved} {covet} delectable {thing} ( X great) {delight} {desire} {goodly} {lust} (be) pleasant ({thing}) precious (thing).

Some don't apply until after Adam's sin.

Kai

Yes...That's what the verse said. But you asked if man tempts himself. I gave you the blueprint on how temptation works. What place for argument, or discussion. The blueprint is true. It leaves no room for argument.
I agree for human desire isnt from God but from flesh and ungodly nature

Active
@Kai,
That is a distinction that was needful. Eve was deceived communicationg with the devil. Her desire was not based on feeling but intellectual. Not lustful.

Loyal
This is an oddly worded question, but the Bible makes in clear the flesh is perfectly capable of sinning even without any help from Satan.

Rom 7:14; For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
Rom 7:25; Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.
1 Pet 3:18; For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

In fact there a several verses about putting the flesh to death. (Not our physical bodies, but rather our non-spiritual desires).
My friend, you took a single, partial sentence as your authority in your post.
13 Then did something good become for me the source of death? Heaven forbid! Rather, it was sin working death in me through something good, so that sin might be clearly exposed as sin, so that sin through the commandment might come to be experienced as sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the Torah is of the Spirit; but as for me, I am bound to the old nature, sold to sin as a slave. 15 I don’t understand my own fobehavior — I don’t do what I want to do; instead, I do the very thing I hate!
No so.....A Christan human who is foll
Not necessarily so....A Christian human, who is following the Word will find his wants agree with God's wants...Simply because he is taking on the very nature of God, including Gods way of thinking...

Kai

My friend, you took a single, partial sentence as your authority in your post.
13 Then did something good become for me the source of death? Heaven forbid! Rather, it was sin working death in me through something good, so that sin might be clearly exposed as sin, so that sin through the commandment might come to be experienced as sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the Torah is of the Spirit; but as for me, I am bound to the old nature, sold to sin as a slave. 15 I don’t understand my own fobehavior — I don’t do what I want to do; instead, I do the very thing I hate!

No so.....A Christan human who is foll

Not necessarily so....A Christian human, who is following the Word will find his wants agree with God's wants...Simply because he is taking on the very nature of God, including Gods way of thinking...

What I really meant by it is even if the person follows the word of God just because he is bound to the flesh the flesh will still tempt him. Only if the power of God will be with him to protect him from it. Human by himself will continue to fall from his own temptation. A high dedication is required to survive the lord in righteousness. But, what makes people righteous and holy isnt that they dont sin,which they do, but realizing what they did wrong and repenting their sins and trying to live a holy life. Without God we are nothing

Kai

What I really meant by it is even if the person follows the word of God just because he is bound to the flesh the flesh will still tempt him. Only if the power of God will be with him to protect him from it. Human by himself will continue to fall from his own temptation. A high dedication is required to survive the lord in righteousness. But, what makes people righteous and holy isnt that they dont sin,which they do, but realizing what they did wrong and repenting their sins and trying to live a holy life. Without God we are nothing

What about the passage that says

James 1:12-16
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

It doesnt say the tempation will flee but it means if to fight against tempation of flesh and win the battle they will be able to enter heaven. In other words if we will win the battle we wont be tempted anymore there for we can enter the kingdom of the lord but we still can't because we havent won the battle yet. For who will win the battle will not be bound to earth anymore but be a citizen of heaven

Active
What about the passage that says

James 1:12-16
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

It doesnt say the tempation will flee but it means if to fight against tempation of flesh and win the battle they will be able to enter heaven. In other words if we will win the battle we wont be tempted anymore there for we can enter the kingdom of the lord but we still can't because we haven't won the battle yet. For who will win the battle will not be bound to earth anymore but be a citizen of heaven

In those days of James, Christians were put through trials and periods of rest mostly by the hand of the Romans and Jews. That wasn't upon a daily list of orders from God. We are seeing how China smiled over Christians coming out of hiding the past 20 ears, then once identifying them, they began persecuting them, bulldozing fabulous religious estates. No one persecution enters any into Heaven. The blood of Jesus and belief in His gospel, and repentance of sin does that. Meanwhile, trials of life common to all humans work to equip us for future trials, or if not learned from, disaters following disasters. History does repeat itself. Everyone, lost or saved, rich or poor, all face some sort of trial in life. Life is like a track star competing for the crown. That crown has glory for a year or five, then he must compete again for dominance. Christians are not supposed to go after fleshly honors, but to remain faithful, gaining respect of God that we ran each race to our best, regardless of how competitively well we run a particular race. Missing one crown will not affect our eternal destiny. Jesus has already won the battle. We are more than conquerors now. Live it. Run every race with confidence our struggle pleases God. If yu have watched a track race live you know the exhilaration of observers. We all enjoy individual performances. Then winners are announced and we rejoice again. Which is the happiest moment? The struggle to win, or the winning? We usually realize which is the winner before he wins, yet we stand applauding and shouting for the 2nd and 3rd place winners. That adds to our excitement. We go down there and shake the hand of the last place runner who was only inches behind the 1st.

Of course we will not run races in Heaven. we will celebrate the win of Jesus for us.

Active
@Kai,
But, what makes people righteous and holy isnt that they dont sin,which they do, but realizing what they did wrong and repenting their sins and trying to live a holy life. Without God we are nothing

Are you asking what makes a person Righteous and Holy in position or in manifestation through their works? A person is not made righteous based on anything they do initially.

Active
Our righteousness is thankfully imputed on the basis of our faith in the gospel elements of Jesus, His blood, body, death and resurrection. Righteousness is awarded by God, not earned like a delivery man gets paid for making his route.
Romans 4:23-25 (KJV)
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification .

Justification there is from the Gr. dikaiosis, the Judge declaring acquittal of persons, but it doesn't stop there, as when on trial for an accusation one's reputation may be damaged even though let go. God takes it to reckoning the person as esteemed, acceptable. But wait, it doesn't stop there. The person is also declared righteous. He leaves the courtroom completely undefiled and honored by God. There is a big "however" applicable. A Jew had to keep every law perfectly, or be condemned upon one failure. The Judge had to punish. A Christian has Christ in him so that Jesus stood in for the believer, taking his punishment. Jesus became sin for the person whose still mortal body is tagged with a sin in it's past, but goes free not be good works, but those of Christ in him. A work IN him, not by the sinner of record.

It is all by Christ in us, our hope of glory. The principle of those benefits from faith applied to Abraham, before the Law entered. That principle of friendship with God had nothing to do with the Law of sin and death.

After Paul explained that he then made the case of a sinner in Rom 7, showing how miserable a person is before being spared from the wrath of God, then personally forgiven, then declared righteous and justified as a son of God. Ignore the caption "CHAPTER 8", as those words were added by men for the purpose of breaking up the scriptures for easier reference. Doing that, one discovers the message continues unbroken into the glory of the benefits in Christ. Paul was not personally wrestling with sin in 7, but was empathizing with the part of one of us under conviction of sin, then after the moment of believing in Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit within. He included the effects of being condemned by the Law, being a Jew, and the warfare it added, but it should not be necessary for a person to be aware of the Law of sin and death in order to believe the gospel of Christ. Most of the world doesn't even have a Bible, few of those having the Old Testament, but might be told some of it when introduced to Christ.

There are three expressions (senses) of law in Romans. The Mosaic law, the principle of sin and death, and the law of conscience. The whole of LAW covers from innermost by nature, to the extreme external delivered by angels. If not adequately applying those to real life experiences, error is prevalent, and debates separate friends.

Seems maybe a short course in Romans 6-8 is needed. I can't condense it better with a "shotgun" post like this. Please go study 6-8 folks, line by line, word by word.