• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you love Jesus?

Loyal
A simple question. I'm sure many of us just say "yes" without even really thinking about it.

Jesus asked Peter this question also. ... three times.

John 21:15; So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He *said to him, “Tend My lambs.”
John 21:16; He *said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He *said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.”
John 21:17; He *said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

Now much is made about this passage... some say Jesus asked Peter 3 times because Peter denied Jesus
3 times. Perhaps this is true... I'm not sure.

Still.. it seemed important to Jesus to know that Peter loved him.

Some say obeying Jesus's commandments aren't what saves us. (I personally believe that
repentance and obedience are required, in addition to faith)..

But even if this is the case.... do you love Jesus? Just for the sake of loving Him?

How are you showing Him you love Him?

John 14:15; “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:21; He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

... do you love Jesus?

Loyal
@B-A-C I found this a really helpful post, thank you. I held back from answering too quickly and have been thinking about the way I love Jesus, and it's helped me think about my priorities in my faith and my life.

Loyal
... do you love Jesus?
The scriptures are clear that keeping obedience to the commandments and continuing in the Word is a disciple's best expression of love as
a follower and believer in the gospel and Christ Jesus.
John 15:
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

BUT UNFORTUNATELY in these times to love Jesus has been reduced to an emotional response of feeling good whilst being
entertained by Praise & Worship music. I have seen the love of the Word replaced by a Jesus loves you, feel good, be happy, and
worship through music while you wave your arms about. Emotions in the flesh.

I love Jesus because he saved me (at a terrible price to himself) and has extended to me grace and mercy despite my previous
wicked lifestyle. I love Jesus by continuing in faith and obedience to the Word because he is my Lord and God - as a good servant can
love a good Master. I love Jesus because he has promised in return that I have the hope to enter the eternities with him.
I love the Word of God and keep myself as a child seeking the approval and blessings of my Father in heaven.
I love Jesus because I love his righteousness.

I love Jesus because of his sacrifice and all that he accomplished the Holy Spirit was given to true believers and I can worship God in
Spirit and truth...
Jude: 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

I love Jesus because I also enjoy the benefits and rewards of my true faith in him - miracles, provision, healings and much answered prayer.

Active
Do you love Jesus?

Whenever a discussion of love comes up I quote John 15:13. I believe it is the starting point for any discussion on the subject. As the ultimate form of love a human being can show is to lay their life down. So we need to ask this of ourselves regarding Jesus and gauge how far we would go with this. What is funny though is that Christianity 101 is to deny yourself / give your life to Jesus. So John 15:13 is 'the' requirement to being a Christian. A Christian should be ready to die for Jesus like they would their children.

What interests me is seeing the fruits of this love. The fruits of loving Jesus cannot be faked and they are crystal clear in Rom 12:9 and John 14:21 as you said BAC. Rom 12:9 Let your love be genuine. Hate what is evil. Cling to what is good.

But when it comes to us seeing dodgy fruits we can still not completely say the person does not love Jesus. As humans we go through phases in life. The decision to accept Jesus / lay our life down for Him trumps all the works we can do. Example, I am married to my wife. Onlookers and her must not question my devotion and love for her if I fail to take the rubbish out. If I fail to kiss her good night. If I fail to buy her roses on valentines. As James 5:20 says ''one deed at a depth of intent trumps a multitude of sins''.

So keeping the law / obeying His commandments / bearing fruit is a sign, but not ''the''' sign.

Loyal
So keeping the law / obeying His commandments / bearing fruit is a sign, but not ''the''' sign.

Agreed... I'm not sure there is a single "sign".

There are other things Jesus said showed that you loved Him.

Matt 10:37; “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

He who loves his family 'MORE' than me...

John 8:41; You are doing the deeds of your father.” They said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.”
John 8:42; Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me.

'IF' God were your Father....

Of course the previous mentioned John 14:15; and John 14:21;
I will add John 14:23; here also....

John 14:21; He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”
John 14:22; Judas (not Iscariot) *said to Him, “Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?”
John 14:23; Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

I particularly like Jude's question here. "Lord, what has happened.... "
Notice Jesus's answer to this. "If anyone loves me.... "

John 14:24; He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.

He who 'NOT' love me... does this...

In the case of Peter... Jesus asked him "Do you love me".
Peter answered yes all three times. But that wasn't enough for Jesus.
Jesus said... "Then tend my sheep". (also three times).

Jude 1:21; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

Of course... it is the first and foremost commandment itself...
( Matt 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; etc...)

John 5:42; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.

Here's one for many people in the world... including several pastors...

John 12:43; for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.

2 Cor 9:7; says God "loves" a cheerful giver.

1 Jn 4:20; If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.

If you say you God... but don't do this.... you are a liar.

Finally Rev 2:4; warns against.... "You have lost your first love".