• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do we really believe?

In Mark16:17,18 I've read: And these signs will accompony those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.
If I don't do any of these am I not a believer?
P.S. I accept Jesus as my Saviour.

Hi Oyster

"these signs shall follow them that believe" I ask myself......and you, believe what? What was Jesus reffering to when he said "them that believe".

I would ask.....have we got a "burden", a burden is more than a desire..... a "burden", is it weighing us down, constantly upon our minds, upon our hearts........that we want to be a blessing, to bless people in Jesus Name, to fulfill the words of Jesus.

Full grown oak trees are not produced in two or three years, neither are servants of God.

Glad to read that you are trusting Jesus. Follow Him...........

God Bless You

Last edited:
Hello Oyster,

I read your public profile and noticed you did not say anything about being baptised in the Holy Spirit.

If you desire to move in the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit, you will need to be baptised in the Holy Spirit.

When it come to spiritual authority issues a born again and born again, Spirit baptised Christian have the same spirtual authority, it's just that the Spirit baptised Christian has hightened spiritual senses and the spiritual power to be more effective in the use of that authority.

Blessings,

Tonyb

Tonyb said:
Hello Oyster,
I read your public profile and noticed you did not say anything about being baptised in the Holy Spirit.
Tonyb
Thank you for your answer, Tonyb!
Well, I am baptised. There are many people in Russian churches who are baptised but they can't cure or speak in new tongues.
May be it's not so important to Lord?

oyster said:
Thank you for your answer, Tonyb!
Well, I am baptised. There are many people in Russian churches who are baptised but they can't cure or speak in new tongues.
May be it's not so important to Lord?
Hello oyster, with what baptism are you baptized? Are you referring to water baptism?

Hi Oyster,

Becoming a Christian is as you suggest more important than being physically healed, but divine healing is a great sign to help convince people that Christianity is real. If people see a neighbour who was previously crippled healed and saved that is a tremendous proof to them that God is real and concerned about them. So as an evangelistic tool healing is a real asset.

Blessings,

Tonyb

Last edited:
Oyster,
Belief is a part of being with Christ. Logicly one must believe in the exsistance of Christ before they can or will commit to following Him. No one follows or makes a commitment to anything that they don't or can't believe.
There are two kinds of belief when it comes to Christ Jesus.
The first is (What I call) an academic belief.
One can study the bible and reason to understand and believe the exsistance of Jesus as well as all or most of what is said about Him. But this is a detached belief, as in we can know about anyone we study or read about. Example George Washington, Nero, Shakespere, etc. We can know about them and believe in their existance even though we will never make a personal contact with them.
Then there is a kind of belief fostered by a personal relationship with that person. Like a parent ,family, freind or child. This kind of belief can be had with Jesus as well. It is a much much deeper and intimate relationship that brings with it a belief and understanding that is of the heart. One that makes it possible to see Him in the people and things around us. Understand His thoughts in the words of scripture and hear His voice in the words spoken to us by others.
The signs of this kind of relationship and belief are not found in performance of wonders or miracles, but in our own hearts and experiences with Him.
Do not be concerned that you do not the things man says are actions of believers. Men can only read the actions, God reads the heart.
Mar 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

In context, Mark 16:14-20 is Jesus' last instructions and encouragment to the remaining Apostiles to go forth and spread the Gospel. He was letting them know ,first that they were protected against evil and that they had power and authority to do what they had been given to do.
These things do not always apply in our lives today. That's not to say that God doesn't protect us or prepare us for works in His Holy Name. But that the protection and preperation does not necessarily involve any or all of the things mentioned in preceeding verses.
Therefore, they are not reliable signs of belief or salvation and though many times they are, should not be used as such.
All gifts and signs are of the Holy Spirit and as such are at the control of the Holy Spirit for God's purpose. Any believer may manifest some or none of these signs simply because it does suits the purpose of God for them to.
The more reliable signs are :
A defining moment; A point in time when realizes that they are because of mans nature sinful and in no way can with out Jesus redeem themselves. Were upon they confess their sins (before God) repent(make a sincere effert to correct and turn around their life)accept Jesus as Lord(commit to follow the example of and obey Jesus).
A sustained effert: For the believer this is a heart felt conviction or compulsion to learn, understand and live a life dedicated to Jesus as LORD.
To the world this change and effert often goes unseen. To those close to us it is most evident. But the signs are not demonstrated in wonders and miracles but most often in a change in life style and attitude tward God and others.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.