• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Do not be afraid! Our King Reigns!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"The daughter of Jerusalem hath shaken her head at thee."—Isaiah 37:22.

Reassured by the Word of the Lord, the poor trembling citizens of Zion grew bold, and shook their heads at Sennacherib's boastful threats. Strong faith enables the servants of God to look with calm contempt upon their most haughty foes.

We know that our enemies are attempting impossibilities. They seek to destroy the eternal life, which cannot die while Jesus lives; to overthrow the citadel, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail. They kick against the pricks to their own wounding, and rush upon the bosses of Jehovah's buckler to their own hurt.

We know their weakness. What are they but men? And what is man but a worm? They roar and swell like waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame. When the Lord ariseth, they shall fly as chaff before the wind, and be consumed as crackling thorns. Their utter powerlessness to do damage to the cause of God and His truth, may make the weakest soldiers in Zion's ranks laugh them to scorn.

Above all, we know that the Most High is with us, and when He dresses Himself in arms, where are His enemies? If He cometh forth from His place, the potsherds of the earth will not long contend with their Maker. His rod of iron shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel, and their very remembrance shall perish from the earth. Away, then, all fears, the kingdom is safe in the King's hands. Let us shout for joy, for the Lord reigneth, and His foes shall be as straw for the dunghill.

"As true as God's own word is true;
Nor earth, nor hell, with all their crew,
Against us shall prevail.
A jest, and by-word, are they grown;
God is with us, we are his own,
Our victory cannot fail."​

Charles Spurgeon

Your post sounds like a fantasy rpg, but not dungeons & dragons because that's evil.

And

Didn't the Harry Potter series bail out in the end by ripping off the resurrection.

Staff Member
LOL! @jadeofmay

In a way you are correct. It does sound kind of off the wall. Makes me curious what he would have thought of the RPG concept and how much Harry Potter is accepted in the world today! The reason I say "he" is because the author of this devotional was Charles Spurgeon. He was a Preacher from the early to late 1800's in England. I share them in the hope that they help others as they help me.

The world has been and still is a terrible place for everyone, but in particular for the ones who call themselves Christian. Fear is a terrible thing and for a Christian something that should not be allowed to overcome us. This devotional points and references to different parts of Scripture that one should keep in mind, especially if fear of the enemy attempts to overwhelm one.

Jesus Christ said "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Now before we get caught up in the fearing God point of view one should remember an earlier proverb that says "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

I'm sure you know of people you might even include yourself that have fears. For some that fear can literally imobolize them from even leaving their houses. Just goggle fear and you get so many hits that it might just take a lifetime to go through them all. This would include both "believer" and "nonbeliever". We won't even go to "National" fears that can move whole nations to action!!!

The difference which this devotional is attempting to show is that the believer has recourse for discarding whatever fear has presented themselves in the guise of man. Meanwhile the unbeliever only has fantasy (your use of the word helped in the writing of this) or intellect to attempt to rule the fear that presents itself in everyday life.

A Christian that believes themselves powerless is buying into the world's definition of what power truly is and with who ultimately it resides with. An example is Death. This is normally the fear that we attempt to never discuss because it's the one that we truly have no control over. Oh, maybe we can get there sooner, but ultimately we all will come to know its shadow sooner or later.

I won't go into what an unbeliever finds comfort or hope in during that time. However, what comforts the believer is the very hope that is looked to and mentioned in this devotional, who is the King of Kings who now reigns. Jesus Christ.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, for it made look deeper into His Word and gave me an even greater appreciation for this devotional than I had before!!!

With the Love of Jesus Christ.
Nick
<><

LOL! @jadeofmay

In a way you are correct. It does sound kind of off the wall. Makes me curious what he would have thought of the RPG concept and how much Harry Potter is accepted in the world today! The reason I say "he" is because the author of this devotional was Charles Spurgeon. He was a Preacher from the early to late 1800's in England. I share them in the hope that they help others as they help me.

The world has been and still is a terrible place for everyone, but in particular for the ones who call themselves Christian. Fear is a terrible thing and for a Christian something that should not be allowed to overcome us. This devotional points and references to different parts of Scripture that one should keep in mind, especially if fear of the enemy attempts to overwhelm one.

Jesus Christ said "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Now before we get caught up in the fearing God point of view one should remember an earlier proverb that says "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

I'm sure you know of people you might even include yourself that have fears. For some that fear can literally imobolize them from even leaving their houses. Just goggle fear and you get so many hits that it might just take a lifetime to go through them all. This would include both "believer" and "nonbeliever". We won't even go to "National" fears that can move whole nations to action!!!

The difference which this devotional is attempting to show is that the believer has recourse for discarding whatever fear has presented themselves in the guise of man. Meanwhile the unbeliever only has fantasy (your use of the word helped in the writing of this) or intellect to attempt to rule the fear that presents itself in everyday life.

A Christian that believes themselves powerless is buying into the world's definition of what power truly is and with who ultimately it resides with. An example is Death. This is normally the fear that we attempt to never discuss because it's the one that we truly have no control over. Oh, maybe we can get there sooner, but ultimately we all will come to know its shadow sooner or later.

I won't go into what an unbeliever finds comfort or hope in during that time. However, what comforts the believer is the very hope that is looked to and mentioned in this devotional, who is the King of Kings who now reigns. Jesus Christ.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, for it made look deeper into His Word and gave me an even greater appreciation for this devotional than I had before!!!

With the Love of Jesus Christ.
Nick
<><
It was the word buckler that made me think (Rpg's) I have had many a bucklers in my rpg days.

And

You sound all naturel my friend, yes, but not normal.

Who wants to be normal

Peculiar maybe?

Staff Member
@jadeofmay
We are a peculiar people are we not?

As far as being a natural guy......well I kind of get that from hanging with the Creator of the Universe! Not just as a Savior, but as a Guide as well!

However, normal is not such a bad thing.....we're just not in a natural place for us that would reflect it back at us or have others see us as such. I do believe that one day we'll be able to look all around us no matter where we turn and we'll see others just like us! Then normal will be okay and really really good! Because the name of the Lord won't bring a frown or quizzical look. If anything...just one of agreement! Normal, is starting to look really really good to me!

I just have to continue to remind myself that it is His time and not mine!
YBIC
Nick
<><