• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Do Jews believe in Jesus?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal

It is a very simple question, Do Jews believe in Jesus?

There a lot of items to consider, starting may be with their objections to accepting Jesus, there are many ways they may object...
- general objections
- historical objections
- theological objections.

These objections could be...
- objections to accepting Messianic Prophesies
- objections to the New Testament
- objections based on Traditional Judaism.

I thought it may be interesting to float this question and see where it goes.

Blessings

Loyal
They believe He existed.
They believe He may have been a prophet.

They don't believe He was the Son of God.
They don't believe He was the Messiah.

These are of course blanket statements, there are always some exceptions. (There are Christians Jews).

Loyal
Jews don't believe in Jesus, that is the common belief but, is this really true?

I am not disagreeing with you brother, just trying to look at some things slightly differently.

Every Christian believes what they believe because our Bible, our New Testament tells us, naturally we believe it and we know 'Jesus came to His own but His own rejected Him.'

The question I believe is, is it still so today, 2000 years have passed?

Jews have always believed in Jesus, one way or another, as you have kindly stated brother.

In the time of Jesus, as we know, it was only Jews who believed in Jesus, though not all. Jesus himself was a Jew.

Here is a comment for thought, there are probably more Jewish believers in Jesus now than ever before, hang on brother-paul are you sure, yes I believe this is correct.

When we consider if a person is a Christian, we consider is the person born-again, if they are not they are lost souls. Though the Father has not rejected His own, His own rejected His one and only son, their promised Messiah. So are the Jews saved or not? How can they be if they are not born again? Does it also apply to the Jews that they must be born-again, they are God's chosen people? Yes it does, because Jesus told Nichodemus three time he must be born again and that he should not be surprised when Jesus told him so.

So if there are more Jews following Jesus now who are they, or which are they? They are the Messianic Jews, they are Jews who follow Jesus, they are the saved ones. There are more Jewish followers of Jesus then ever before, the Messianic Jews increase massively each year and are currently up to around 350,000

I find it so strange at times, how many Christians do not know they are grafted into the vine, the original vine, in fact they are grafted into the lump, the original root stock, yet many think Christianity is a separate religion!

I do however find it amazing when I meet Messianic Jew's, they are God's children, they know the Old Testament inside out, and when they come to Jesus the book comes to life, they come to life, the Light comes on, they probably know the Bible OT plus NT better than any Christian, they were brought up Jews with the OT and Judaism, all that was missing was the one most important part of the jig saw, Jesus.

There are more Jewish followers of Jesus then ever before. I love that statement. It is wonderful news but what I also find interesting is a message I read some time ago, that the Messianic Jews 'are the remnant' of believing Jews. 350, 000 so far and growing, not yet at 144,000.

Comments and thought please. Interesting comment I feel.

THE QUESTION I would like us to share is...What are the Jewish objections to Jesus, why do the original Jews, hang on to the OT Judaism.

What stops them coming to Christ, Yeshua Ha Mashiach

I think this could be an interesting discussion, hopefully God willing.

Shalom

Big difference in believing Jesus the man existed and believing in Jesus

2Jn 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
2Jn 1:11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Loyal
Big difference in believing Jesus the man existed and believing in Jesus

2Jn 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jn 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Greeting sister,

I totally agree, we have to accept Jesus into our hearts, the Holy Spirit has to abide in our heart, anyone, whether Jew or Gentile, must be born again as Jesus made clear to Nicodemus a member of the Sanhedrin and a teacher of all Israel.

The question we move to now is, what stops the Jews, who have not accepted their promised Messiah, not accepted Jesus, coming to Christ, coming to Yeshua?

Blessings.

Loyal
Some reasons traditional Jews do not or will not accept Jesus.

In General terms -
At the heart of their objections is this: "Jesus is not for Jews! Our religion is Judaism, not Christianity. No true Jew would ever believe in Jesus." But this is not true, as we see with Messianic Jews, but it is what Tradition Jews say as they stick with Judaism.

They also believed that the Messiah was going to bring peace to the world, free them from Roman oppression, this Jesus did not do that, he went against what they believe from the Holy Scriptures. They say "Jesus cannot be the Messiah because we are obviously not in the Messianic age."

The objections from traditional Judaism when they compare with Messianic Jewish faith and the Christian faith, revolve around three things...
the nature of God (the Trinity, the deity of Jesus, the person of the Holy Spirit),
the continuity of the law (Is it still binding in total, or was it abolished in full or part by Jesus or Paul?),
the nature of mankind and the need for salvation, and sin and
the means of atonement of sin.

They claim the New Testament is a completely foreign religion that is not only un-Jewish but is also unfaithful to the Hebrew Bible.

Jesus is viewed as a false prophet and the founder of an alien faith.

Loyal
If we asked the following question to Christians what would the majority say.

What is the difference between Judaism and Christianity?

Most would no doubt say, we are Christians, we follow Jesus, the Jews rejected him, the early church blamed the Jews for killing Jesus and the gap between the two started to widen.

Many think Christianity as a separate religion! But there is actually only one main difference between the two, it is Jesus.

First was Judaism, second was the Messianic Jews, then we have Christianity. Hang on a minute some may say, but it is true, Jesus and His disciples and Apostles were all Jews, Jewish followers of Jesus, they were the first Messianic Jews.

To further confirm this we have to ask, what is a Messianic Jew?

A Messianic Jew is, a Jew who believes that Jesus, Yeshua, that He is the Promised Messiah, (of the OT) with elements of Judaism and Jewish tradition.
'Yeshua ha Mashiach'

Can a Christian become a Messianic Jew? No, but they could be accepted as a Messianic Gentile and join their gatherings. Messianic Jews and Christians follow Jesus.

So why is there a massive gap between Jews and Christians, centuries of hate on both sides have past, the gap has widened over time, Christians blamed Jews for killing Jesus and the Jews would not accept Jesus was the promised Messiah.

Many Christians today do not realise we are grafted into the original Jewish vine, scripture goes even further confirming we are part of the original root stock, called the lump. Romans 11:16.

Romans 11:11-28
- ends at verse 36.

In all things we must not forget... Jews first!

Romans 1:16 (NKJV)
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

We must put Jews first, we must realise we are grafted into the original vine, we are connected to their root stock. Christians should pray for the Jews and for Israel, scripture tells us to do so. We must realise our salvation is only ours due to the error of the Jews. We must put aside the years of hatred, the years of conflict of which religion is best, which religion is right. Jews too must put these things aside nd if they don't we are to love them and pray for them.

Common Jewish objections include:
Jews don't believe in Jesus.
I was born a Jew I will die a Jew.
Believing in Jesus means I am not a Jew.
A person is either Jewish or Christian, I am a Jew.
You have your religion I have mine (this goes both ways)
No religious or educated Jew would ever believe in Jesus.

The truth is that most Jews are not familiar with the Jesus of the New Testament or with the true Christian or Messianic Jewish faith. This means that many of the objections they raise are based on misunderstanding. Many Jews don't even realize that Jesus Christ is Yeshua the Messiah. The more religious a Jewish person is and the more time that person spent learning in a yeshiva, a school for traditional Jewish studies, the more biased and distorted that person's views will be concerning who Jesus is, what he taught, and how he and his followers lived.

A lot therefore is down to 'we are what we are due to what we are taught and brought up in', generation after generation.

Jews study the OT, they know it back to front (is that another issue I wonder),

A RC brought up in the RCC follows the RC method and sees nothing wrong in what they are taught, they are not aware of the errors they are taught, just like the Jews have always rejected Jesus, so continue to reject Jesus, the Jews fail to realise Jesus, Yeshua, was 'their' promised Messiah! and like sheep without a shepherd they continue with the Jewish traditions, rejecting Messianic Jews, rejecting Christians, we cannot correct this, but we know someone who can, pray for Jews, pray for Israel, and accept we are grafted into the original Jewish vine and root stock.

Thank you Father for your incredible wisdom, thank you Jesus for never giving up on your children, Jews or Gentiles, thank you Holy Spirit for continuing to work on even the hardest hearts, to God be the Glory, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in Jesus Name. Amen

We must put Jews first, we must realise we are grafted into the original vine,
we must realise we are grafted into the original vine, we are connected to their root stock. Christians should pray for the Jews and for Israel, scripture tells us to do so.
My post is to the religion not the people .

"We must put Jews first, "

" we must realise we are grafted into the original vine, we are connected to their root stock. Christians should pray for the Jews and for Israel, scripture tells us to do so. " agree

"We must realise our salvation is only ours due to the error of the Jews ."
The Cross of Jesus Christ was not plan 'B" All who are saved are saved by Grace not someones or some groups error. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

"We must put aside the years of hatred, the years of conflict of which religion is best, which religion is right. " The Truth of God's Word is not hatred. The Jewish religion is with out God.
1Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1Jn 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

"Jews too must put these things aside nd if they don't we are to love them and pray for them." agree

Are we not one in Christ?

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Loyal
Rom 11:25; For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

It seems God Himself has hardened Israel's hearts for the time being. ...until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in...

Rom 11:26; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB."

All..... hmmm "all". All of Israel since the beginning of the nation's existence? All of the current generation? Hard to pin down what "all" means here.

Rom 11:27; "THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS."
Rom 11:28; From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers;

Of course they do not believe what we call the "New Testament". (new Covenant). So they are "enemies" of the gospel for now.

Rom 11:29; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

A favorite verse of the "once saved always saved" believers. But many are called, few are chosen.

Rom 11:30; For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience,

Now here it seems we Gentiles owe something to the Jews. We have been shown mercy... why? Because of their disobedience.

............ ============= ...................... ==============

Rom 11:18; do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you.

A great passage. We don't support Christ, He supports us!! But a warning in this verse also. Do not be arrogant against the branches.
Some people hate Jews. Some people think they are better than Jews. Ha, we are Christians, they are nobodies.
Beware of being "arrogant" towards the Jews just because they aren't Christians.

Rom 11:19; You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in."
Rom 11:20; Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
Rom 11:21; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.

God broke the "natural" branches off (the Jews) so that we could be grafted in.
Another warning here.... He can break our branches off also. If He didn't spare them, He won't spare you either.

Loyal
Gen 12:3; And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

God told Abraham (who was still Abram at the time). I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse those who curse you.
It seems this promise is still in effect today. The countries that hate Israel are usually war-torn, economically depressed, (Arabian oil is an exception)
and have a lot of political unrest. The countries that support Israel are generally more peaceful and prosperous.

Beware of being arrogant toward the branches.

Loyal
Greeting @Reba1

A very clear verse, thank you for adding it, the last point is so important.

It is true that these people have set themselves in opposition to God.
It is true that they are willing worshippers of the beast.
But the significant thing is that their names have not been written in the book of life

Revelation 3:5 (NKJV)
He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Revelation 21:27 (NKJV)
But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

John wants Christians to see, what matters is the sovereignty of God, not the power of evil.
When a man’s name is written in the book of life he will not be forgotten. His place is secure.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, in Jesus Name Amen

Loyal
Psa 69:28; May they be blotted out of the book of life And may they not be recorded with the righteous.

Rev 3:5; 'He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

It seems only those who "overcome" will not be erased.

Exod 32:32; "But now, if You will, forgive their sin—and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!"
Exod 32:33; The LORD said to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.

Deut 29:20; "The LORD shall never be willing to forgive him, but rather the anger of the LORD and His jealousy will burn against that man, and every curse which is written in this book will rest on him, and the LORD will blot out his name from under heaven.

Active

There a lot of items to consider, starting may be with their objections to accepting Jesus, there are many ways they may object...
- general objections
- historical objections

Blessings

- general objections
- historical objections

Blessings
Hi Paul, One of the Jews for Jesus mentioned recently, that in 1948 there were less than fifty Jews for Jesus in Isael, there are now thousands and more are being saved daily and many of them are Rabbis. For Jews, this means many are ostracised from family and friends. This is a high price to pay, but we are told that in the last days Israelis will return to the Lord. I believe? this is one of the signs of the end times. Bless you.

Loyal
Rom 11:25; For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

It seems God Himself has hardened Israel's hearts for the time being. ...until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in...

Rom 11:26; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB."

All..... hmmm "all". All of Israel since the beginning of the nation's existence? All of the current generation? Hard to pin down what "all" means here.

Rom 11:27; "THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS."
Rom 11:28; From the standpoint of the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers;

Of course they do not believe what we call the "New Testament". (new Covenant). So they are "enemies" of the gospel for now.

Rom 11:29; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

A favorite verse of the "once saved always saved" believers. But many are called, few are chosen.

Rom 11:30; For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience,

Now here it seems we Gentiles owe something to the Jews. We have been shown mercy... why? Because of their disobedience.

............ ============= ...................... ==============

Rom 11:18; do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you.

A great passage. We don't support Christ, He supports us!! But a warning in this verse also. Do not be arrogant against the branches.
Some people hate Jews. Some people think they are better than Jews. Ha, we are Christians, they are nobodies.
Beware of being "arrogant" towards the Jews just because they aren't Christians.

Rom 11:19; You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in."
Rom 11:20; Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
Rom 11:21; for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.

Another warning here.... He can break our branches off also. If He didn't spare them, He won't spare you either.

Greeting brother, great post

It is interest the differences in translation of some of these verses so I have included some below...

Romans 11:26-32 (NKJV)
26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them, When I take away their sins."
28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.
29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience,
31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.
32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

Romans 11:26-33 (NIV2011)
26 and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written: “The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
27 And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”
28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,
29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.
30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience,
31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you.
32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Romans 11:26-32 (CJB)
26 and that it is in this way that all Isra’el will be saved.As the Tanakh says, “Out of Tziyon will come the Redeemer; he will turn away ungodliness from Ya‘akov
27 and this will be my covenant with them,... when I take away their sins.”
28 With respect to the Good News they are hated for your sake. But with respect to being chosen they are loved for the Patriarchs’ sake,
29 for God’s free gifts and his calling are irrevocable.
30 Just as you yourselves were disobedient to God before but have received mercy now because of Isra’el’s disobedience;
31 so also Isra’el has been disobedient now, so that by your showing them the same mercy that God has shown you, they too may now receive God’s mercy.
32 For God has shut up all mankind together in disobedience, in order that he might show mercy to all.

Romans 11:26-33 (NJB)
26 and this is how all Israel will be saved. As scripture says: From Zion will come the Redeemer, he will remove godlessness from Jacob.
27 And this will be my covenant with them, when I take their sins away.
28 As regards the gospel, they are enemies, but for your sake; but as regards those who are God's choice, they are still well loved for the sake of their ancestors.
29 There is no change of mind on God's part about the gifts he has made or of his choice.
30 Just as you were in the past disobedient to God but now you have been shown mercy, through their disobedience;
31 so in the same way they are disobedient now, so that through the mercy shown to you they too will receive mercy.
32 God has imprisoned all human beings in their own disobedience only to show mercy to them all.

So true brother, some people just don't know the scriptures, yet they profess to.

We are so lucky brother, thanks be to God.

John 15:1-8 (NKJV) [Best if the chapter is read in full John 15:1-27]
1 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

I love John's Gospel, I love this chapter

Abide in me Jesus tells us and He will abide in us. PTL \o/

Loyal
Hi Paul, One of the Jews for Jesus mentioned recently, that in 1948 there were less than fifty Jews for Jesus in Isael, there are now thousands and more are being saved daily and many of them are Rabbis. For Jews, this means many are ostracised from family and friends. This is a high price to pay, but we are told that in the last days Israelis will return to the Lord. I believe? this is one of the signs of the end times. Bless you.

Greetings brother, my heart jumps for joy at those words.

Rabbi's too PTL.

The highest price to pay brother is, Not accepting Jesus, those of us who have. Jews and Gentiles know this.

Israel, the earth one, needs our prayers every day, Israel the spiritual one is the ekklesia, we must pray for that/us also brother.

Bless you also my friend.