• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Devil or Lesser god

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I recently watched the new version of the 10 commandments movie and I realized something that I never really payed attention to when I read it. I am talking about when Moses throws his staff to the ground and it turns to a snake and the pharaoh does the same but with two snakes. Even though Moses's snake (God) ate the pharaohs snakes created by his God/s, I am a little confused? How was the pharaoh able to do this. Was it the work of the devil or is there a lesser god. There was some kind of force behind the pharaohs magic. And how did the Egyptions come up with the idea that there were thousands of gods anyway?

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't recall that being a Scriptural event (Pharoah throwing a staff...). I highly recommend sticking with Scripture instead of "Movies". Scripture is GOD's Word, valid, authorized and Holy Spirit inspired. Some movies might be close to Scripture, but none I know of are 100% on par with Scripture.

I don't recall that being a Scriptural event (Pharoah throwing a staff...). I highly recommend sticking with Scripture instead of "Movies". Scripture is GOD's Word, valid, authorized and Holy Spirit inspired. Some movies might be close to Scripture, but none I know of are 100% on par with Scripture.
Exodus 7,9-12: When Pharaoh says to you, 'perform a wonder' then you shall say to Aaron, 'take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh, and it will become a snake.
So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did as the lord commanded; Aaron threw down his staff before Pharaoh and his officals, and it became a snake.
Then Pharaoh summoned the wise men and the sorcerers; and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did the same by their secret arts. each one threw down his staff, and they became snakes; but Aarons staff swallowed up theirs.

Now how did they summon their snakes, from the devil, a lesser god, or what? What does the secret arts represent?

Administrator
Staff Member
Thank you for sharing that. It was not the Pharoah that threw the staff, but his "magicians". What they [sorcerers] did was evil driven. Please read about sorcery as well for details:

Acts 13:8-10
8 But Elymas, the sorcerer (as his name means in Greek), interfered and urged the governor to pay no attention to what Barnabas and Saul said. He was trying to keep the governor from believing.
9 Saul, also known as Paul, was filled with the Holy Spirit, and he looked the sorcerer in the eye. 10 Then he said, “You son of the devil, full of every sort of deceit and fraud, and enemy of all that is good! Will you never stop perverting the true ways of the Lord?

GOD is against anything such as sorcery, magic, fortune telling, other related

Deuteronomy 18:14
The nations you are about to displace consult sorcerers and fortune-tellers, but the Lord your God forbids you to do such things.”

Galatians 5:19-21
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Ok so I will take it as the devils work, anything thats not of God. But how did they get to know their god (devil) before the almighty God. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Administrator
Staff Member
They practiced sorcery / magic. This is an act of disobedience towards GOD. This is derived from satan and he powers these sorcerers to do such things.

Hello the new justin, I have read one or two of your post's, and I cannot help but think that you always get hold of the wrong end of the stick.

The bible is a book of faith. Faith in God. The O.T. stories were written for our learning. 1Cor 10 v 11 "These things happened unto them as examples.....to us" The bible is saying that all this history, poetry, prophecy, etc. contained within the O.T. was written and kept on record so the we......you and I....might learn the ways of God.

The story of Moses encounter with pharaoh informs us that God is bigger,mightier, more powerful than any other power. We may encounter demonic power from time to time, as Moses did on this occasion. But we need not fear any other supernatural manifestation, because on the cross Jesus destroyed, overcame once and for all time all other powers.

When Jesus ascended back unto heaven He was able to say "all power in heaven and in earth is given unto me"

The bible explains its-self. We just need to make the time to read what it has to say. Many ways lead to Christ.....but only Christ the 'Door' leads to God.

Devil or a lesse god

Aaron threw his staff down and it turned into a snake. Pharoah had two court magicians named Jannes and Jombres with him that day. At Pharoah's order, they threw their staffs to the floor and their staffs turned into snakes. But, the snake from Moses' staff swallowed their snakes.

The power that the Egyptian magicians used is magic (illusion).Satan can mimic the works of God, but he can't match them. Satan's "miracles" are always bogus

SLE

Ok so I will take it as the devils work, anything thats not of God. But how did they get to know their god (devil) before the almighty God. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil goes about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Pet 5:8).

The devil was on the prowl when he encountered Eve in the Garden of Eden, he was on the prowl when he encountered Judas Iscariot, he was on the prowl when he encountered the Egyptian court.

SLE

Last edited:
Hi, New Justin,

I wonder if this example will help.

The light that we get from the sun is invisible to our eyes. It can be broken up into separate colors by a rainbow or a prisim.

Now we can try to make white paint by using any of several colors of paint. We can mix red, blue and yellow, but we will never ever get white.

That's the way it is with miracles. You have the real miracle (Moses and his staff) and you have the counterfit (the magician's trick).

Here is my idea of what probably happened. The magicians found snakes and got them cold. Since snakes are reptiles, they are very slow moving when they are cold. But, since the magicians were not able to keep the snakes cold, the snakes started moving again.

The magicians were probably doing the best they could trying to copy a miracle, but all they came up with was a cheap trick that failed.

I know this off topic but while were talking about tricks what do you think about Chris Angel the magician. I mean do you think that he is using dark magic, because the things that guy does is very unordinary to say the least.
I mean if he did those things back in the days people would have worshiped this guy. Im not saying its real but it is very convincing. Do you think there is something stronger behind his tricks (Satin)?

Hi, New Justin,

I wonder if this example will help.

The light that we get from the sun is invisible to our eyes. It can be broken up into separate colors by a rainbow or a prisim.

Now we can try to make white paint by using any of several colors of paint. We can mix red, blue and yellow, but we will never ever get white.

That's the way it is with miracles. You have the real miracle (Moses and his staff) and you have the counterfit (the magician's trick).

Here is my idea of what probably happened. The magicians found snakes and got them cold. Since snakes are reptiles, they are very slow moving when they are cold. But, since the magicians were not able to keep the snakes cold, the snakes started moving again.

The magicians were probably doing the best they could trying to copy a miracle, but all they came up with was a cheap trick that failed.

The Egyptian magicians did not find a couple of snakes and refrigerate them. What really happened is detailed in Exodus 7:10b-12: "Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. Pharoah then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts;Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron's staff swallowed up their staffs."

SLE

I agree with SLE' post above, the Bible is clear as day on this subject, we don't need to give our own opinions.

New Justin, to answer your last question, I'm not familiar with this Chris Angel chap, but if he is doing magic, or anything out of the ordinary it is sorcery and not something God likes, the same applies to hypnosis and all other weird things some of these entertainers do, it's not on par with God.

Chad posted the answer to your question on post 4

Galatians 5:19-21
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.